why do kids draw copies of things they think are cool? (serious question)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: why do kids draw copies of things they think are cool? (serious question)

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

why do kids draw copies of things they think are cool? (serious question)

I've been wondering this for a while. Like a lot of you, I grew up drawing as a kid. The thing is--and I'm not totally sure my memory's accurate on this--I barely ever drew from imagination. What mostly happened was I'd see something that I thought looked really, really cool, mostly on TV, occasionally in real life, and then I'd be like, "OMG, gotta draw that!" And I'd grab a pencil and paper, try a rendition of it or two, and be like, sweet, I captured it (btw, I've seen a couple drawings from when I was in the single digits, and they were nothing special, but that's beside the point). It was a weird itch I HAD to scratch. Back then, way more than I do now, I found form to be really beautiful, and I was obsessed with cars and robots and junk. I drew the everliving crap out of the Sea Duck from Talespin, because I thought it was gorgeous for whatever reason. I remember trying over and over to draw those giant red and purple robot things from the Xmen cartoon series. I loved Tim Burton's Batmobile, and I remember spending time trying to get it right. I loved the Dragonzord from the original Power Rangers. Gizmoduck from Ducktales. The Enterprise from Star Trek: TNG. Cars I thought were cool. Computers. Video game characters (Samus, Megaman X). Etc.

I think part of wanting to capture an impression of them was that we didn't have a VCR, and I couldn't just record these things I thought were awesome and I wanted to spend time looking at. And there was no Internet, so I couldn't just find shots of them. But I don't think that was the entire reason for wanting to get them down on paper. It was just this really strong urge to do it.

I taught myself guitar when I was a teenager, and I guess I felt some of that same urge to generate stuff I heard that I liked. If I heard a song I really liked, I wanted to learn it and be able to play it myself.

None of this, the drawing or the guitar stuff, was stuff I did because I wanted to show off to other people. I mean, people complimented me and I appreciated it, but the motivation was all internal. I loved to be alone copying things.

As I got older, around high school age, there was shift: I stopped drawing copies of things I liked, and instead I started copying visual styles (anime, or the styles of random illustrators I thought were cool (Yoshitaka Amano, other random Japanese videogame concept people)), but using those styles to draw from my own imagination instead. And the same is true today: if I see something really cool, I don't want to copy it, but I might really want to do something like it. Or if I see an interesting visual style, I might want to try doing something similar, but not exactly like it.

So, anyway, the copying. What's up with that?

BTW, marginally related, I saw this cool timeline of the development of kids' drawing a while ago:
    http://www.learningdesign.com/Portfo...iddrawing.html

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2