More of a career issue than technical, maybe?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More of a career issue than technical, maybe?

I have been away from CA for a long time.
    Back then I had a clear idea of what I wanted professionally and in life.
    Fast forward to after college and three years later: I think I may have made some poor decisions in terms of what my path should have been.
    I'm trying to backtrack into concept art and honestly I feel like I made myself too inflexible to be able to compete.

My background has been primarily advertising, animation and editorial, I've had some gigs doing pre-visualization but never in a capacity that was full-time.
    I've been trying to figure out a way to get back into the entertainment industry. The only thing I can control is the quality of my work.
    But my resumé is something that I cannot change, I've been passed over for hires even after face-to-face interviews primarily because I don't have industry experience.
    It's a little bit of a catch-22 because I need those entry level positions to be able to prove that I can do concept art work. I almost always get art-tests and I get brought in afterwards and we're talking about big companies like EA and Gree and still I get booted in favor of someone else. No explanation as to why usually. Just silence.
    I don't qualify for internships either, I've had plenty of rejection letters for those as well.

What puzzles me is that I have been in a production environment, I know what tight deadlines are and how to work as a team, I've been doing it for a while.
    Wouldn't that experience translate regardless of industry? I thought so, but it's been a couple of years and I have not been able to transition.

So beyond work harder, which is the only tangible solution right now. Is there anything else that I could do?

This is what my work is like nowadays: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...the-skullsquid

And this is what my resumé looks like right now

Troy_Galluzzi_resume_2012.pdf

I feel like my back is against the wall and I've been doubting myself more and more.
    In any case, feedback of any kind is appreciated.

T

DON'T CLICK THIS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco View Post
    But my resumé is something that I cannot change, I've been passed over for hires even after face-to-face interviews primarily because I don't have industry experience.
    It's a little bit of a catch-22 because I need those entry level positions to be able to prove that I can do concept art work. I almost always get art-tests and I get brought in afterwards and we're talking about big companies like EA and Gree and still I get booted in favor of someone else. No explanation as to why usually. Just silence.
    I don't qualify for internships either, I've had plenty of rejection letters for those as well.
    This is incorrect. The hard truth is simply that you are being passed up becuase your work is not strong enough right now (haven't seen it but this is usually the case). Others are demonstrating stronger work is all. The reality is, experience or not, you will be hired when those doing the hiring think you have what they want. Do what you can to improve your work....best advice I have anyway.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried applying with small-to-mid sized companies and indie developers? When you apply to the big companies, you're competing against thousands of other applicants, so unless your portfolio is truly amazing, there will probably be other candidates who will edge you out in terms of quality. With smaller companies, there's less competition, so you have a better chance of getting in and gaining experience.

Try to imagine your portfolio in a pile of thousands of portfolios from the best artists around the world - does it stand out enough? My suspicion is no. When I glance at it, it says "competent", but it doesn't scream "THIS IS THE BEST OF THE BEST!" if you know what I mean. Any time I think I'm totally ready for anything, I look at some of the best artists out there to remind myself how far I need to go...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a very nice portfolio. Have you tried for smaller companies? Have you been networking? Are there industry events you could go to and get an honest face to face portfolio review by someone who hires concept artists? I'm not sure what you are missing, but it's a very competitive market, so you shouldn't take it personally.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeffX99: Granted that's always something to be improved upon.

QueenGwenevere: I have tried a handful but openings at smaller companies are not as frequent as say big ones where you have more turnover.
    I know I'm not the best, it will never be that way. The only thing I know is that I can keep improving and try and do the best I can at that particular moment.

Qitsune: Thank you! I don't network as much as I should and it's something I'm working on. I tend to rely too much on people I already know, which works for freelance but doesn't really do much for full-time work.

If I didn't get any responses or did not even get remotely close to interviews, I think it would be more clear-cut to attribute all my failings on skill. But that's not the case, I end up on the shortlist, I get flown in for the interview and then nothing. I hope I'm not coming across as an arrogant prick because I'm truly and honestly trying to figure this out, I appreciate the comments.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i still love you troy... and even more so your art.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man... how have you been!!!!!!

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the employers might be leary of the nudity and overall dark nature of some of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The nudity I get, but what do you mean by dark nature?

DON'T CLICK THIS

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It sounds like you're really close (and you're not coming across arrogant at all for what that's worth). Sometimes it is just the right look and feel for the particular project...some times it is a personality fit for the...some times it is the company already knowing who is going to fill the spot but they go through the motions of interviewing for legal reasons. It will happen - just work at honing that portfolio along the lines you think necessary.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for taking this slightly offtopic with this cheesy scene hehe.... please send me an email to thomas (at) soneone.com so we can have a conversation without spamming this thread, because i dont know for sure but i think the ca-pm system is broken atm.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No offense intended. I just mean a lot of you work looks cool, but has stuff that parents might not want their kids looking at... Like blood, skulls, over sexualized females, and monsters. You kinda need to strike a balance to show that while you can do bad and ugly, that you can also do good and beautiful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    None taken, I guess in my eye it's so normal that I don't see it as dark. It's a good point.

Edit: Sent you a mail sone.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You changed your avatar Evil? You used to have a picture of Fever Ray.
    I love The Knife!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha yeah I did, I love that avatar and I love the Knife but it was time to use my own icon.

DON'T CLICK THIS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to skullsquid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some thoughts...

-We are still in a globe depression. Even big studios are subsidizing their over head cost with other services such as learning institutions.
    -The market is very saturated with artist
    -The position is already filled but HR but still need to post a phantom job post for their records
    -HR department is buried under tons of applications and it doesn’t matter how good you are if they don’t see it. Sometimes your resume won’t even pull up if you don’t use their “key words.”
    -Outsourcing is a real killer. In the Bay Area San Francisco. Post for Outsourcing Managers have almost doubled in the past year while job post seeking artist for casual game studio was cut more than half.

Evildisco I think your portfolio would fit well with projects who could use a good concept artist on MMO, FPS games, fantasy illustrations, etc.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; January 20th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you back.

Thanks a lot dude but now you got me going "Dyna-mite, Dyna-mite"

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Pigeonkill, valid points. It's a frustrating situation nonetheless.

Arshes: Thank you, haha. Man, I wish I could have stayed on Black Dynamite...

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I'm not sure how to say it in a diplomatic way, but ave you considered that maybe the problem is how you are perceived as a person? Often when a company takes the trouble to fly someone in, they have a pretty good idea that they like their art. Could it be something you do that disturbs them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've wondered that, but I haven't been able to discern any particular behavior that might be offensive or inappropriate.
    Mind you I've encountered this wall only when it comes to concept art positions in the video game industry.
    All the other times that I have interviewed for advertising or animation, I got the jobs relatively easy.
    I'm on time, I'm hopefully affable and I know how to talk about myself, beyond that I don't know really...
    It's hard to say, without any actual feedback from the interviewers.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just going to lightly chime in here, don't have the experience to say much besides I see what Shorinji is saying about the dark look. It's mostly dark lighting and environments. Obviously if it's fitting for the type of job I see no problem, but some projects might want a bit of variety, some bright colors etc whether it's a nice blue sky or characters without weapons lol. Just 2 cents. Completely depends on what our applying for though I imagine. The quality is there though. I've seen plenty of companies Conceptwork at lower quality. Keep trying and get that foot in the door

Edit: Actually I don't know if your sketchbook is based on your portfolio but there's one thing I did notice that I can crit on. Your compositions seem to be mostly people standing there facing the camera pretty standard angle not much action going on or variety in that aspect.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFierce: Agreed I need more dynamism and variety in the imagery.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Members who have read this thread: 1