Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 97

Thread: Iris

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,446
    Thanks
    3,793
    Thanked 5,857 Times in 3,961 Posts

    Iris

    Okay, I've been working on this for some time, working out as many problems as I could by myself. This is still just the sketch phase and I've changed things multiple times. Please bear in mind that the lighting isn't done completely here as that'll be on the next layer. This is currently acrylic on canvas, next will be oils. Is there anything glaringly obvious left I've missed?

    Name:  IMG_0725as.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  124.1 KB


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:


  4. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada, ON, Toronto
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 180 Times in 169 Posts
    I guess the shoulder of the arm grabbing the leg should perhaps jut a bit more forward since right now her arm looks to me to be a bit lanky I also believe you missed out on the land mark produced by the clavicles. I am not so sure if this is much of a concern but I am not exactly sure what she is doing with the other arm and I THINK that she maybe slightly off balance. Overall I like the look of the piece as well as the composition and most of it was me nit-picking with my poor observational skills .
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook


    >>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:


  6. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,781
    Thanks
    2,383
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 835 Posts
    I'd be careful with her left knee. It looks a bit too much like a plate. It should blend in more smoothly with the rest of the leg, and I think we should see more of the underlying bone structure. The same goes for the other one, but it's not as apparent there. I think it would help if her left hand held something to explain why it's up in the air like that. Perhaps a stalk or a leaf.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:


  8. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    I agree, the knees are a bit nobbly, where they could be more streamlined. also rule of thumb with daisy type flowers, theres always a line that runs from the tip through the middle of the base to the centre of the flower structure. theyre a bit wobbly atm. I would edit her front teeth down a bit, but i remember them from the previous image so i guess thats just accuracy to the model. still, maybe knock them back a bit to flatter your subject. doesnt have to be warts and all.
    Iris
    Its jolly nice tho.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:


  10. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 825 Times in 678 Posts
    This is looking good.

    The giant daisies at lower right feel like they're overwhelming the picture compositionally--and as V. Kendall notes, they're also sort of awkward and asymmetrical. Given the overall scale of detail on the rest of the picture, I'd consider replacing them with something less...blunt and aggressive. Probably a collection of smaller and more delicate forms.

    As for the figure: her pose feels a bit cramped and uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if that's just because your foreshortening is a bit clumsy at the moment. If it were me, I'd go in with some kind of drawing tool (Prismacolor wax pencils work well for this, and don't bleed through too much when painted over with oils) and really nail down the contours before proceeding. There's just a million places here where closer observation of your reference photo will "sell" the 3D form much better than is happening now.

    As always, just my two cents.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:


  12. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,446
    Thanks
    3,793
    Thanked 5,857 Times in 3,961 Posts
    Thanks guys

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazel33t View Post
    I guess the shoulder of the arm grabbing the leg should perhaps jut a bit more forward since right now her arm looks to me to be a bit lanky I also believe you missed out on the land mark produced by the clavicles. I am not so sure if this is much of a concern but I am not exactly sure what she is doing with the other arm and I THINK that she maybe slightly off balance. Overall I like the look of the piece as well as the composition and most of it was me nit-picking with my poor observational skills .
    The wrist looks like it needs more work and that might sort out the arm problem. Her clavicle isn't prominent, but that whole shoulder is badly toned.

    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    I'd be careful with her left knee. It looks a bit too much like a plate. It should blend in more smoothly with the rest of the leg, and I think we should see more of the underlying bone structure. The same goes for the other one, but it's not as apparent there. I think it would help if her left hand held something to explain why it's up in the air like that. Perhaps a stalk or a leaf.
    The knee should be sorted on the next layer. As to the raised arm, it sort of raises questions and that I like. Everytime I tried to change it, it just looked wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    I agree, the knees are a bit nobbly, where they could be more streamlined. also rule of thumb with daisy type flowers, theres always a line that runs from the tip through the middle of the base to the centre of the flower structure. theyre a bit wobbly atm. I would edit her front teeth down a bit, but i remember them from the previous image so i guess thats just accuracy to the model. still, maybe knock them back a bit to flatter your subject. doesnt have to be warts and all.
    The daisy lines will be sorted on next layer. This is still the rough drawing. Saves image for additional reference. I will tone the teeth down. Agreed - this isn't a portrait and I'm not a slave to the reference and will push it more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    This is looking good.

    The giant daisies at lower right feel like they're overwhelming the picture compositionally--and as V. Kendall notes, they're also sort of awkward and asymmetrical. Given the overall scale of detail on the rest of the picture, I'd consider replacing them with something less...blunt and aggressive. Probably a collection of smaller and more delicate forms.

    As for the figure: her pose feels a bit cramped and uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if that's just because your foreshortening is a bit clumsy at the moment. If it were me, I'd go in with some kind of drawing tool (Prismacolor wax pencils work well for this, and don't bleed through too much when painted over with oils) and really nail down the contours before proceeding. There's just a million places here where closer observation of your reference photo will "sell" the 3D form much better than is happening now.

    As always, just my two cents.
    I'll be bringing the flesh up a lot more and knocking the flowers down. I'm 2 hours away from an art shop.

    Just to show you where I'm going (and this is a portrait - same girl) this is a study I did to help me with this picture and try stuff. I've just started colouring, but you should get the gist. Took me ages to get this stage as well.

    Name:  IMG_0731s.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  113.2 KB

    If I get a snow day tomorrow I'll work on the suggestions otherwise it'll be next weekend.

  13. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden Malmö
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 167 Times in 140 Posts
    I like the nostalgic look you got going here. I especially like her face and intense expression and the flowers in the background. As some of the other posters mentioned I think that it looks very strange the way she holds up her arm like that. It looks a bit like an awkvard wave. A more relaxed position would probably be better or as suggested give her something to hold in her hand. I also think that the daisys are dominating the picture to much and creates a large, bright squarish shape in the corner.

  14. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,446
    Thanks
    3,793
    Thanked 5,857 Times in 3,961 Posts
    Right I decided to tackle most of the suggestions digitally to see how things would work out. I'm probably only going to change the hand on the picture and deal with the rest on the next layer. so please bear with me. It's a pretty bad digital rendition, but I hope you get the gist. BTW, she will have more of a smile and not look so fierce.

    Name:  shiftbs.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  102.3 KB

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    sorry i dont like the new hand at all.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,446
    Thanks
    3,793
    Thanked 5,857 Times in 3,961 Posts
    Worse than before eh? Would you change it at all? - this is why I'm mucking around digitally first.

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    yep one sec, im doing a horrible PO.

    meantime this ight be of interest. BACKWARDS WORLD!!!!

    Name:  rewrwerw.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  205.4 KB
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    ok this totally sucks, but i tried to de-Goldblumise her face a little and give her hand something to do.. need ELwell or someone to help with the anatomy, its a whole world i know jack about.
    put whatever up where the darwin bust is, maybe a big vase, maybe a mans calf, i dunno.


    IrisName:  dsfdsfsdfsdfsd.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  213.7 KB
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 22nd, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

  19. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,446
    Thanks
    3,793
    Thanked 5,857 Times in 3,961 Posts
    Would the jug at the bottom enlarged be better? Maybe have the water running doing her arm. It's meant to be Grecian, but I could do more research. Goldblum? Gee, thanks. (You are so dead - he's a friend so it's okay.)

    My reference might have something to say about that .

    Name:  za.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  60.0 KB

    Or maybe not...

    Name:  zb.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  39.4 KB

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Art: Vertical violet iris
    By Delmus in forum FINISHED ART & ARTWORK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
  2. Art: Baking with Iris (13 pics)
    By sokisoy in forum ART: PHOTOGRAPHY
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 21st, 2007, 01:12 PM
  3. Iris
    By Stale in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 31st, 2006, 10:46 AM
  4. Art: Spider on an iris
    By Black lead in forum ART: PHOTOGRAPHY
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: June 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM
  5. Art: iris house
    By foster in forum FINISHED ART & ARTWORK
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: June 11th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook