Sketchbook: Omigosh! It's my sketchbook!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Omigosh! It's my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Omigosh! It's my sketchbook!

Hi everyone! I wanted to get into the habit of sharing drawings and such to get feedback so I can improve on my artwork :D I'm an illustrator, designer, and storyboard artist in Burbank. I work both traditionally and digitally, and I'm especially fond of working in Photoshop with a Wacom tablet (Cintiq/Intuos4). I hope you enjoy my work, and thank you for stopping by!

Name:  photo-8_zpsadd98e1a2.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  41.3 KB

Background stuff-- I went to school for animation and such, and now I work as a Jr. Designer. In my spare time I also assist with backgrounds on the webcomic Frog Raccoon Strawberry over at DummComics. I'm excited to share work here because I sketch/draw a lot. I'm taking a small Animal Drawing class at work and I do a lot of sketching when I'm hanging out with my guy at the coffee shop many evenings :D

And the usual-- The views expressed on this site are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or its clients. Thanks! :D

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEy, thanks for stopping by

Hope to see much of your stuff very soon, especialy sketches!!!

Cheers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to w0rmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Checked out your tumblr and I'm looking forward to the inevitable cutness that will fill this SB! I love bg work, but it's certainly not my strong point. This blog Animation Backgrounds is a great eye- candy site.

Happy sketching- welcome to team sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by w0rmy View Post
    HEy, thanks for stopping by

Hope to see much of your stuff very soon, especialy sketches!!!

Cheers
    Thank you! I'll be posting a bunch soon

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    Checked out your tumblr and I'm looking forward to the inevitable cutness that will fill this SB! I love bg work, but it's certainly not my strong point. This blog Animation Backgrounds is a great eye- candy site.

Happy sketching- welcome to team sketchbook
    Thanks! There will be a lot of cute stuff, hehe! Backgrounds are a lot of fun especially for Kyle and John's comic-- I often get to go crazy with the colors and it's just too much fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Miss Cookie Is Here To Help!

Name:  misscookieSheet_SM2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  404.9 KB

Here's a little cutie from December-- I was creating a piece for the WeeklyArtChallenges tumblr which had a cookie theme that week, and I created this little mascot for an imaginary cookie company from the 1950's.

I did a lot of sketches before I settled on the design for Miss Cookie. You can see the finished parody advertisement over at WAC tumblr here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  coatgal.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  187.2 KB

A quick pencil sketch from last night

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one I just finished an hour ago-- It was for this week's WeeklyArtChallenge: Monster Under The Bed

Name:  ajs_MonsterChallenge2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  386.2 KB

It doesn’t go bump in the night… it’s a low, heavy breathing sound—- so low, you almost don’t notice it…

Here’s my monster living in the darkness! It’s a lurking beast with silent steps not unlike those of a kitten. It’s breathing is damp and heavy, like that of a pug. You never see it coming in the shadows…

I painted this digitally in Photoshop with a Wacom tablet. I was inspired by animation from the 1950’s, and the monster is a mash between a cat and a pug, with a touch of inspiration from one of my favorite Looney Tunes characters— Gossamer

I had done some sketching earlier in the week and when I thought about this creature, I had the nasal-sounding breathing noise a pug makes in mind. I love the snorty sounds they make and I imagined this big flat-faced monster making that kind of sound

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAUAUUULLLGGLGHG SO AWESOME!

COLORS AAAAIIIIIEIEEEI

Anyway. This is all magical. I love the Gravity Falls dude on your Tumblr. I love their crazy sausage hair. I keep stealing it for stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by diamandis View Post
    AAUAUUULLLGGLGHG SO AWESOME!

COLORS AAAAIIIIIEIEEEI

Anyway. This is all magical. I love the Gravity Falls dude on your Tumblr. I love their crazy sausage hair. I keep stealing it for stuff.
    Thank you so much! I was having a tough time about halfway through with the colors until my friend suggested shifting the background to a dark blue and away from the warmer shade of black I had going on-- that turned everything around.

Hehe, thanks! I draw a lot of weird little sketches of Mabel Pines when i'm bored or have a spare minute! I think I have the most fun thinking of silly sweaters for her to wear. She's such a wonderful character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your Miss Cookie concepts reminded me a little bit of one of my favorite animators/illustrators, Sylvain Marc. In particular, the stuff in this post. I know comparisons can be annoying sometimes, but I mean it as a compliment.

BTW, I gotta be honest, I've never actually seen Wonder Falls. I've just seen art from it and I think it's great. I'll get around to it someday.

Tangent: do you animators oftentimes draw using rotation from your elbows and shoulders, as opposed to your wrists? (Or have you trained your wrist to do elegant sweeping gestures?) I first tried out elbow/shoulder yesterday, and I'm liking the results, especially for my gesture drawings, which were abysmal before. I need to experiment with it more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by diamandis View Post
    Your Miss Cookie concepts reminded me a little bit of one of my favorite animators/illustrators, Sylvain Marc. In particular, the stuff in this post. I know comparisons can be annoying sometimes, but I mean it as a compliment.

BTW, I gotta be honest, I've never actually seen Wonder Falls. I've just seen art from it and I think it's great. I'll get around to it someday.

Tangent: do you animators oftentimes draw using rotation from your elbows and shoulders, as opposed to your wrists? (Or have you trained your wrist to do elegant sweeping gestures?) I first tried out elbow/shoulder yesterday, and I'm liking the results, especially for my gesture drawings, which were abysmal before. I need to experiment with it more.
    Thank you so much! I don't recall seeing his work before, though I'm glad you pointed it out! I love the varied shapes of his characters!

You should TOTALLY check out Gravity Falls-- it's such a rad show! It's extremely stylish too, and I hope they put out an art book someday-- the backgrounds are absolutely delicious!

When I draw, I've found that sometimes my wrist does the work, and other times-- the elbow is the main point that pivots. Depends on what Im drawing. The issue though is the side of my palm getting filthy depending on what media I use. I do tend to overdraw some arcs and clean em up or scratch at them until I get something I like.

Sweeping gestures can definitely help with gestures since you're aiming to capture the movement most times, and it helps you draw loosely and focus less on smaller details. Have you also tried drawing with a larger piece of media like a color stick or a piece of charcoal?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AronDraws For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch Dump!

I do a lot of sketching on random pieces of paper and in my sketchbooks throughout the day. Some of them are little characters, others, like the Mabel ones, are fanart. Here's an assortment of sketches.

Many of these are drawn on lunch breaks and while sitting in coffee shops around the city I use a few different pencils--

Name:  yeehaw.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  283.1 KB

Name:  dress.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  ghoul.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  116.5 KB

Name:  mabel.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  scarf.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  218.7 KB

And on a side note, Im replying to some posts but it says they need to be approved by a moderator-- sorry if it looks like I'm ignoring comments-- Im totally not lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff as expacted Nice to see the "other way" of figuredrawing

More more more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of character in these. Good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. I personally don't like charcoal ... too messy. But I might hold my nose and try it out again later. I'm not in any classes or anything right now, and I don't want charcoal dust getting on my carpet at home, hah. I did buy some sketching pencils with wider graphite cores today, though. I've been using just a mechanical pencil for the last while.

Re: arcs: while experimenting yesterday, I realized I like the arcs that I get by using only my shoulder, and keeping the rest of my arm rigid. Although that seems kinda tiring. I definitely see getting RSI or something that way.

Two more questions:

You went to school for this, right?

For doing the underlying sketch for your drawings (red or blue or whatever), do you just use regular ol' colored pencils, or is there some special type of animator's non-photo pencil?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.