Art: Critique My Portfolio - IB Art HL (Grade 11-12)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique My Portfolio - IB Art HL (Grade 11-12)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique My Portfolio - IB Art HL (Grade 11-12)

Hi, I'm new to this. I believe this is the right area to post a portfolio review. My name is Jaylen, I live in Japan and I am currently a senior, seeking acceptances to art schools in Vancouver, Canada (my real home).

If you guys (the community) could please give me any feedback on the art itself, that would greatly be appreciated. Also, perhaps saying which is the strongest/weakest would be helpful for the portfolio lineup.

I understand some may be hard to understand, due to the fact that you don't know the meaning behind every piece but please still give as much feedback as possible!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

p.s. upon previewing this thread, I noticed that the images were a little fuzzy. The files I send will be better quality and taken/framed better.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.01.51 AM.png
Views: 920
Size:  1.04 MB
    A piece based on tribal art, about 3 feet tatal. Acrylic on wood, images transferred from drawing using adhesive/dry technique

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.11.58 AM.png
Views: 902
Size:  385.5 KB
    A watercolor piece of a chandelier.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.11.20 AM.png
Views: 1232
Size:  885.6 KB
    A piece done entirely out of plaster, the innards of the face are foam to help cope with weight. Piece is over 6 feet tall.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.10.58 AM.png
Views: 877
Size:  393.3 KB
    A pressed image (using a speedball presser), with an ink image overlay

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.10.35 AM.png
Views: 1087
Size:  805.4 KB
    A skinny man (meaning behind piece revolves around poverty) roughly 5 feet tall. Watercolor background, drawn entirely out of gel pens.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.09.49 AM.png
Views: 883
Size:  543.8 KB
    Ceramic faces painted with watercolor.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.03.01 AM.png
Views: 900
Size:  597.3 KB
    Not finished yet. I will have a mouth, eye and nose as well. in a square formation. Showing my technical ability and facial realism.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.01.32 AM.png
Views: 867
Size:  1.26 MB
    Watercolor and chalk

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 6.01.38 PM.png
Views: 848
Size:  783.6 KB
    Tribal faces, done entirely out of acrylic

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 5.57.38 PM.png
Views: 822
Size:  975.8 KB
    A three piece set, representing "Blood, Sweat and Tears of Japan" (Meaning is about how Japan, throughout history has been a lot [war, earthquakes, tsunamis)

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 9.14.42 AM.png
Views: 820
Size:  687.3 KB
    A skeleton rose combination, flowers crafted from hammering metal.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JaylenFast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really like some close up on that first tribal piece. It looks like there might be some nice detail.

The watercolor chandelier looks rather small for a piece I would include in my portfolio. It looks like it was part of something bigger that might not look as good as what you're showing.

I'm very interested in the plaster faces, but I can't tell from the photograph whether it's a 2d piece or 3d. I assume it's 3d because it's plaster, but I can't tell from that angle.

The tree is nice. The frame really adds to the piece.

The way you show a close-up in this piece is what I'm talking about. However, the bottom half of those ribs and bouncy ball knees, really pop out at me, not in a good way.

the ceramic faces and watercolor are pretty cool. But I can't describe that third face without the word, "what?".

Work on the rest of the face, then I can give you advice on this. How big is it?

I want to see what those ripples in the paper are, those look neat.

Again, these tribal faces work. How big are they?

The left piece definitely describes a store of war. The one on the right looks like rain and the middle one I interpret at virginity.

Also, I'd include at least one observational piece that shows you can draw what you're trying to draw.

Hope this helps.

Also, my opinion is not the only one out there. Trust your gut.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Malt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you should look up sheridan (for illustration) , or OCAD.. when it comes to portfolio... for art , some schools has basic requirements, prospective ,anatomy ..ex but you can use them as personal work...
    gud luck..

Members who have read this thread: 2