Need some help with my work
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Need some help with my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some help with my work

So, i've been drawing and doodling since an early age but despite my love for visual arts i decided to go to med school. Then i realized med school makes me miserable and i need a change. So i quit med school and decided i want to improve my drawing skills and become a concept artist. I've just started taking drawing seriously in October 2012 and i only have some basic understanding of foundations. I would be grateful to receive some constructive critiques and hopefully improve. I thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Here are some of my digital paintings.

Name:  Black mage (2).jpg
Views: 302
Size:  421.0 KB

Name:  castle1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  Creature concept 1 4.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  410.9 KB

Name:  raven.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  261.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like you're just jumping into rendering for the sake of rendering without spending enough time in the planning stages. Take the crow, for instance, its wings are completely wrong and silly looking because you didn't spend ten seconds googling a reference photo of a crow with outstretched wings. Other examples would be that he monster is just a hodge-podge of parts and textures that don't relate to each other, the mage(?)'s facial structure under the hood and mask doesn't work, etc. Really, you should make a page of thumbnail sketches before you jump into painting in order to work out the essential stuff like composition and what it is, exactly, that you want to paint.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humboldt squid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To improve on what you have already, step back and do exercises in the fundamentals: structure, perspective, values, lighting. Preferably, work on paper and in black-and-white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @humboldt squid Thank you for your time. For the raven i actually did make a reference sheet. The wings aren't stretched. There was supposed to be a sort of 90 degree angle between the humerus and ulna/radius. I didn't want the mage to be human that's why the face is very elongated. I will spend more time planning my work before jumping into it.

@arenhaus Thank you for your time. I always start out in black and white and only then ad color and even after i put in color i do value checks. I mainly work on perspective and construction on paper and rendering stuff in digital software. I will take your advice and start working more on the fundamentals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for your time. I will take your advice and work more on my fundamentals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stop trying to produce stuff. It's not like you are getting money for finished stuff so stop it and focus completely on practices and sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess you're right. I'll try to focus more on practicing than actually completing stuff. It's just that before i started taking drawing more seriously i would never complete anything, just take them half way and leave them like that finding lame excuses like i don't have the time or stuff like that so i thought i should do my best and try to get my drawings as close to being finished as i could. Thank you for your time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.