Practice Schedule

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Practice Schedule

Lately, I haven't been drawing as much as I should, because of work and all. I recently registered for a local art class (for free, mind you), but at the moment, it's not keeping me busy. So, I had decided to make a practice schedule, which will focus on basic forms. I chose basic forms because I feel like I haven't really worked on them as much. This is the schedule I came up with:

Monday - Cubes
    Tuesday - Cylinders
    Wednesday - Spheres
    Thursday - Cones
    Friday - Combining forms
    Saturday - Light on Form
    Sunday - Composition

I will spend at least 3-5 hours a day on these subjects. Studies include drawing squares and ellipses in perspective, depth of spheres, symmetry of cones, light from different angles, hard and soft edges, and drawing forms from imagination.

So, what do you guys think? Am I missing something, or did I add too much?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    if you pretend spending 3-5 hours a day i would recommend drawing Cubes, Cylinders, Spheres, Cones on the first and second day.
    third and fourth day: Combining forms, Composition;
    fifth day: Light on Form;
    sixth and seventh day: real life, photo reference studies

i think spending 3-5 hours on a single shape is too much

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoxiharo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw what you like. Too many studies will make you hate art. I'd recommend spending thirty minutes to an hour a day on boring stuff, and the rest on something more interesting, like drawing what you see. Also, drawing from imagination is an important skill that you shouldn't overlook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with the two previous post. i would suggest lumping all those studies together and either do them all in a day or two or use it as a warm up and than use the rest of the time for life drawing, figure drawing, imagination work, etc. as long as you are drawing its all good!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitely lump all those geometry/shape studies into the same day, they're very much related and it would be more beneficial to do them together.

the important thing with schedules is to always be refining and adjusting as needed to make it work, which you'll learn how to do as the days go by

Painting depends on your state of mind and everything affects your state of mind. Use music, food, your workspace, your relationships and your intention to your advantage. Create an ecosystem of creativity for yourself.

[...] what concerns us here is not imagination itself, but rather creative imagination; the faculty that helps us pass from the level of conception to the level of realization.
    - Igor Stravinsky, The Poetics of Music

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Set aside half of your scheduled time to make the paintings you actually want to make, even if you think you don't have the skills for that yet - and apply what you learn.

After all, you love making your own paintings, right?

thanoss Guest
    Mate you can keep setting yourself a schedule, and then coming here telling us you have set a schedule. If you are not going to do any studying then wtf is the point of the schedule. Dont come here and tell us you have this great schedule you have, whh makes you feel great, and then you do fuck all about it. Why even tell us you have a schedule. JUST DO THE BLOODY WORK, DONT TELL ANYONE, JUST DO IT!!!!!!.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh booooi just DO IT alright you know just do it ok do do do iiiiiiiiiittttttt, dont talk to ANYONE shut your mouth and face fck this shiznit outta that page..... I mean nobody cares if you wanna know shit or just feel the need to ask stupid random shit for no other reason than to get a reply from a pro....i mean anyone thats made it knows it ALLL hardwork baby, so kick yourself in the ballls an work dont whine........... arghhhh hahahahahahha strips naked rubs peanut butter all over myself rolls on the flooor, just work baby work it haaard. fetal position hold me mummy.

fck me im sick of arrogance even if its said in good faith!!!

Nice schedule but mix it up with some fun stuff so you dont lose the plot like i just did good luck .

flag it ban me, but it was worth it.

Sorry I don't have any examples of my work,
    I'll try to get some up when I feel ready and more confident,
    I hope you can appreciate my honesty and be a little patient with my lack of contribution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree with most posts here. You haven't scheduled any time in your schedule to update your schedule. Also you are going to need a separate schedule for the different sets of scheduled time for the different updates of your schedule schedule. I suggest you keep them colour coded.

This is said lovingly by an obsessive schedule/list maker.

No matter how much it seems like it would work it just never pans out the way you think so just get drawing and just set a general target eg. get down the basics of head construction for next two weeks. Move onto the next bit when you feel comfortable doing it on your own. If you are struggling with box forms for example keep doing them until you are comfortable. Its going to vary massively. If you try to stick to a schedule too slavishly from the beginning you might engage in the theatre of learning to draw rather than actually learning to draw like drawing 1000 spherical forms when you really don't need to do any more. Just make sure you are working towards a goal. This is the advantage of teaching yourself. You may in fact learn faster because you are spending the right amount of time that YOU need to on each thing and you cant know that until you start drawing drawing drawing drawing .. not planning!

-----------------------------------------
    My Blog!
    http://www.whirlyart.blogspot.co.uk/

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    New years.

It's like the artistic version of the gym.
    Only problem is we don't get a cut of the gym memberships that people sign up for and leave rotting for years

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Yeh booooi just DO IT alright you know just do it ok do do do iiiiiiiiiittttttt, dont talk to ANYONE shut your mouth and face fck this shiznit outta that page..... I mean nobody cares if you wanna know shit or just feel the need to ask stupid random shit for no other reason than to get a reply from a pro....i mean anyone thats made it knows it ALLL hardwork baby, so kick yourself in the ballls an work dont whine........... arghhhh hahahahahahha strips naked rubs peanut butter all over myself rolls on the flooor, just work baby work it haaard. fetal position hold me mummy.

fck me im sick of arrogance even if its said in good faith!!!

Nice schedule but mix it up with some fun stuff so you dont lose the plot like i just did good luck .

flag it ban me, but it was worth it.
    If you really want to be banned, you just let me know. I'll hook you up.

In the meantime, either contribute or shut the fuck up and actually use the forums to learn something instead of shitposting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher
    I hope you can appreciate my honesty and be a little patient with my lack of contribution.
    Huh. That's a long time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh the shit-posting was a bit much sorry to anyone offended.

Yes it has been a long time since I joined 7 months or so, but I feel I know my own self worth and know when I am being slack or putting the work in.
    If I need help I ask and have got a lot of helpful advice, and I do give back when I think I can contribute to a discussion.

I went on a stupid rant out of frustration knowing how a new user to CA feels, Saying do the work because your kidding yourself if you don't put in the practice is one thing, but just putting people down out of superiority is another, but I once again apologise this is not the place for all out shit posting.

And I probably wont shut the fuck up , but I will adhere to CA's rules Star Eater.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Xopher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one thing I've learned from all the schedules, planning, and obsessive-controlling I've done to try and figure out the best way to stream-line my learning process: just draw.

As you're starting out, just figure out that day what you desire to draw, and just draw it. If it looks like shit, oh well. This is where the learning starts because the logical question to ask is "okay, what is it about this drawing I just made that differs so much from the great drawings I see around me?". If you have a patient and open mind, and a hard working/don't-give-up attitude, the improvement of your skills will practically take care of itself.

Good luck.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 23