Sketchbook: A Hopeful Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Hopeful Sketchbook

Hello there, I'm 15 years old and I got my tablet around late april last year.

I do a lot of traditional sketches but I don't have a scanner so I'll hold them off for some time. For now, a quick summary:
    2010-11 :
    Name:  golden_retrievers_by_luchianguyen-d4jw0br.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  249.7 KBName:  newspaper_girl_by_luchianguyen-d4jw64a.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  187.2 KBName:  ether_saga_fanart_by_luchianguyen-d3zqknw.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  171.8 KB

And now in year 2012:
    Name:  Raisa-Goodcopy.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  145.9 KB
    References used from this picture onward. Please tell me if you think I should include link to references. (:
    Name:  Megu.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  141.7 KB
    Name:  Request copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  162.3 KBName:  wip4 - Copy.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  94.7 KBName:  Cho1 - Copy.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  89.9 KBName:  angela2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  91.6 KB

I'm hoping to improve on realistic portraits but that would be difficult because I haven't uploaded recent portraits but I could use some advice on what I should work on immediately to improve my digital colouring skills.
    I'm also planning on doing figure drawing as soon as possible when school allows me.

Please tell me what you think. Thank you (:

Last edited by luchianguyen; February 5th, 2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazi
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahah! I figured out how to make my scanner work. Now here comes a sketch dump, made up of quick portraits i did that I approve of.
    Mechanical pencil and a school notebook. (:

Dolce Gabbana advertisement
    Name:  002b.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  104.5 KB

Portrait study
    Name:  003b.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  142.5 KB

Facial Composition, trying to see how much I learned
    Name:  004b.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  132.4 KB

Back to more observational portraits
    Name:  005b.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  186.1 KB

Name:  006b.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  007b.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  008b.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  152.5 KB

Any opinions? (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far, your pencil drawings are of excellent quality, but your digital work is inconsistent in quality. Most of the latter is well-painted except for the beach one.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your talent is good for your age. The sky is the limit for you. Work on studies from life and things will get a lot easier. Build that mental library up.

"Observing the world around me"

My Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...pper-(Updated)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Fighting Seraph
    Agreed, I realized that my digital drawings are inconsistent, and I'm not exactly proud of them. I'm just trying to practice blending things and getting used to brushes while trying out styles at the same time. Thanks for the feedback (:

@Colour Coded
    Thank you, it's sort of tough though. I never feel like I have enough time. As I get older I'm only going to get busier and less time for drawing, I worry that I'm going to get rusty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far I think you're doing pretty good. I like the observational sketch with the model glued to the page - collage style

When I was in your shoes, the thing that helped me was doing perspective studies, and beginning to draw from life. Take a look at some references on gesture drawing. There's lots of ways to do it, and it really helps you build confidence.
    Perspective is good when you don't have much time. Just drawing boxes from different angles is a great exercise.

welcome to the sketchbook forum Happy sketching

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rhubix Ahah! thanks, collage style, way to go! It was fun, I really enjoyed drawing that one. Yeah, I have a lot to work on. Values, perspective, anatomy, lighting, everything basically.

I always get overwhelmed when I think of all the things I need to learn to do, so I'm planning to work on one thing at a time to make sure I have a good grasp before I fumble and try to grasp other things. I kind of think of it like trying to memorise 50 things at once. Nuh uh, not happening. Gotta learn them one at a time.
    I'll make sure to post up some anatomy sketches sometimes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a lot of people mentioning drawing from life. That's good. I'd like to add that it helps to learn about what you're drawing too. Copying shapes I see in life personally only helps me so much when I draw if I don't understand what I'm drawing. Sure the portrait will look realistic, but once you have to draw figures from your head it's hard unless you know the shapes of the bone structure and muscle. If you know that you can start to think of the shapes and how the light hits them. Don't get me wrong though still draw from life. You learn how the light reacts to the surfaces from that and can see how the muscles tense in different poses. I wish I had more time to draw from life, but busy just the same. You're doing good with these. As far as the digital, be patient and you'll figure out your process. It may help to figure out a traditional technique you like and try to mimic that digitally.

Michael Dickerson

portfolio

sketch blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to silentknights For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start! Don't get discouraged by all you haven't learned yet. You are doing really well and you can go a very long way by continuing to practice and learn. You know the old joke about how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ silentknights Wow, thank you. That was incredibly helpful. I noticed that many people also study skulls, and I do see the merit in it. And when you said how the muscle tenses in different pose, thank you for mentioning that. It's yet another thing I must learn to understand. I find the lips hardest to do when they're smiling widely with or without teeth.
    about the digital drawings, I think trying to mimic a traditional tool digitally is a great idea! I have corel painter 12 but there's so many tools in there I'm just sitting there dumbfounded. I'll try to post a digital one with a watercolor feel to it

@Aqualeot Ahah! That made me laugh, thank you. Your comment is very encouraging (:

Thank you so much for all of these advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are doing very well, just keep practicing and don't give up take care!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Betty86

Thank you! Same to you! (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for replying to my sketchbook thread! To return the favor...your digital stuff is really good, especially the more recent stuff. With your pencil studies, you seem to hang out in the grays, and utilize quite a bit of smudging (which makes it look a bit messy). Maybe you could work on your hatching some more - use and layer the pencil's strokes to define value and volume! Try not to use pure contour quite as much, since using lines to define shapes (created by our minds to organize information, and not really that common in reality) can detract from the realism of a piece. Cheers!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to araethusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Araethusa Yeah, I do prefer keeping things in the gray, area. I usually just try to be able to capture their impression and move on. Those usually take around 30 minutes- an hour to do and I'm just speeding through. And in actuality, I don't smudge the drawings, it just smudged when I walk around with it in my arms and the paper rub against each other or if I have a dark image on one page and it imprints onto the other. Yeah, the contour flattens the image, I usually get rid of the lines by blending them into the shadows.
    I do need to work on hatching though, people hatch strategically so it looks neat but I just go in whatever direction until I think it's dark enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  009.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  129.4 KB

Yeah, I realized right after I scanned the image that I forgot to work on the values. I was just sketching in the values and haven't really darkened in the shadows yet, but I'll do that on the actual sketchbook.

School's really been throwing itself at me lately. I did a few digital sketches, and is currently working on a few fan art, but I'll post it when I'm done. I really can't wait until I can work so I can get myself a laptop instead of having to wait for my mom's generous whims to allow me to draw.

Actually, on that topic, I'd like to know if a macbook pro is a good laptop?
    I mean, I have done a bit of research, and for some reason the comments are really mixed. Then comes to techy talk and I just closed the window and flipped open a magazine. Seriously though, people say the macbook pro has large space and capacity needed to run large programs and painting with a large file. Others say that people just use it for the cool factor. And then theres the applications that only apple have access to.

I'm going to get a part time job to work for it, and well the budget could be up to $1700 as long as it's worth my money. It'd be good if it was light so I can carry it to the library to work on my personal projects as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  wip6b.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  98.4 KB

Hey guys! Haven't really updated in a while and I'm currently way in over my head. It's the first time I attempted drawing on a larger scale, and now I'm completely overwhelmed by colours, shadows and light. I'm not sure how light works when you're outdoors.
    I could use some constructive criticism right now. Thanks in advance!
    For now, I'll go look at it in black and white and see if i can figure out something. (:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.