Art: Matt Reed: Concept Design Portfolio
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Matt Reed: Concept Design Portfolio

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Matt Reed: Concept Design Portfolio

Hey everyone, my name is Matt Reed, and I'm working toward a career in concept art. I began working toward this goal about seven months ago when I finished my associates degree, so I am still relatively new to most of the stuff that goes on in this industry. I recently set up a portfolio that you can go check out: http://misterreed.daportfolio.com/. Here's an example of one of the pieces you'll see there. I'd rather not post every single image here, unless you guys feel it entirely necessary. I'd appreciate any advice on what I should include in the portfolio, as well as areas of weakness in the art itself that I can improve upon. Thanks guys!

~Matt

Name:  attach-home_design_render_s.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  355.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is capable - one thing I would do is to try and diversify your work in terms of style. At the moment its' very stylised. If that's the kind of thing you want to do that is more than fine but you might find it difficult to find work, or you might only be able to find specific kinds of work - potentially limiting your prospects. Try doing some realistic characters, scenes, vehicles.

I'd also love to see design sheets/ thumbnails for things like the dragon and weapons, at the minute a lot of your designs may be a little on the simple side so it would be good to show a potential employer that you can churn out a million different ideas for one subject, which is what they like to see. Here are some examples of what I mean that I have done in the past:

I'd also try to increase the amount of pieces in your portfolio. At the moment 8 pieces of work won't pique their interest. You really need at least 25-30 pieces that demonstrate what you can do.

I hope this helps

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hazzard For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1