Sketchbook: Mosen's Journey - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mosen's Journey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    few things from the past few days... Im going through a strange process in my mind of understanding human proprtions and the manakin thing Loomis talks about. Its hard... I'll just keep trying, might post less but keep doing it i fear its boring to look at!

Had fun using toned paper and charcoal and drew random things from my mind, a little life pen drawing (while on the toilet haha) and attempts at Loomis, some good some not...

Name:  IMG_2341.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  43.4 KBName:  IMG_2342.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  48.0 KBName:  IMG_2343.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  47.4 KBName:  IMG_2344.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  36.0 KBName:  IMG_2345.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  44.0 KBName:  IMG_2346.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  40.3 KBName:  IMG_2354.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  29.7 KBName:  IMG_2355.jpg
Size:  25.0 KBName:  IMG_2356.jpg
Size:  25.9 KB

Please help me improve! Thank you for your time

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...osen-s-Journey
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't posted for quite a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been drawing ^^ I know it may not look like I've done much but those simple chest studies took GAES... I had to try my best to understand what they were... now that I'm getting a better Idea i do draw them a little faster but still needs a lot of work! I decided to break Loomis' manikin down into parts so I could perhaps better get a grasp of it. Don't really know if its the right way to approach it but I have more fun, want to draw more and I seem to be understanding it a bit more!

anyway... oh yes, I managed to buy a bamboo tablet and it came with artrage 2.6 Haven't really tried it out... I'm scared! Does anyone know a good tutorial to learn the software or maybe a beginners guide of some kind??
    Name:  IMG_2367.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  27.1 KBName:  IMG_2380.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  31.4 KBName:  IMG_2382.jpg
Size:  30.3 KBName:  IMG_2383.jpg
Size:  32.2 KBName:  IMG_2384.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  28.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good seeing new update. I know the pain about speed, when you draw something for hours and then you have only half of page to show. I hope we will get faster in future. So keep on drawing!

About Wacom I used this guide for first setup: Wacom Starter Guide. I don't know much about that software though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not knowing how to continue learning, I just keep at Loomis... enjoying it, I feel a am grasping something at least Also found a great way of learning form... by using my kneadable eraser i make a rough basic shape of whatever I need to draw and turn it so I can have a look at the angle I'm trying to draw it from... really helps as its physical and 3D but I'm sure eventually I won't need it as much!!

Name:  IMG_2389.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  19.3 KBName:  IMG_2390.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  28.6 KBName:  IMG_2391.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  23.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my first ever attempt at painting, digital or any other kind done in art rage 2.6. It took me about 2 hours and it still looks horrible however, I had a LOT of fun with it. The other one is from imagination and the sketches are very quick studies for a character I wanna draw for a friends birthday

I'll put up the desert ref photo too. I have no idea what I'm doing with painting...I'm happy to experiment and learn by mistakes. perhaps there is a semi structured approach I can take while experimenting? where should I start??

Name:  First(desert scene).JPG
Views: 132
Size:  106.6 KBName:  desert 2.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  217.6 KBName:  IMG_2399.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  25.2 KBName:  IMG_2400.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  23.8 KBName:  IMG_2401.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  29.1 KBName:  Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 16.27.51.png
Views: 136
Size:  862.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had a few more sketchy ideas for my friends birthday and ended up deciding on the most simple one (at least costume-wise... fabric is HARD to draw)!

Still a WIP. I will try my best to finish it by wed.

Name:  IMG_2402.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  29.5 KBName:  IMG_2409.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  17.8 KBName:  IMG_2412.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  35.4 KBName:  IMG_2413.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  35.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start with the environment. It's dark magic for me too how to make it. Look for some videos on YT about type of clothes folds and material stretching. It kinda helps to start with it. Also observing your own cloths helps a lot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MadGrav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, yeah I'll have a look and maybe do some life studies as I go about my days. gonna come have a look at your SB now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had a very busy time at work and lots of birthdays this week so I wasn't able to draw one day (felt really bad about that) plus I only realistically get an hour a day to draw and have been trying to finish this samurai for one of the birthdays! well I think its done, I know I could do so much more to it. Perhaps we rarely feel something is complete. I will keep improving... for now, here is my offering.

Done with an HB pencil and a 2B pencil. mostly from imagination, some reference used to understand some of the fabric... enjoy
    Name:  IMG_2432.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  45.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sick book. I admire your perspective drawings. Something I myself really need to work on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man keept it up! I really like your perspective studies! That is probably going to help you out so much i should get on some of those! Anyways keep going man and never give up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook, if i could give you one advice it would be to draw more from life . Good luck !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff ! Your lines are very good . For digital painting i suggest using only hard round brush, avoid using soft rounds in the beggining, till you get the hang of digital painting. You might also want to do some value studies, they can be done in all mediums both traditional and digital. And when you're painting digitally from referance avoid using color pick tool . I've been using it constantly and now i struggle without it. It's a mistake that you should avoid.
    Meanwhile focus mainly on pencil works. Also if you're drawing a human figure i found out that it's very good that if i have an anatomy book open, because when i start drawing the hand for example i can easily check which muscle do i really see on the model so i can analyse it and not just copy the photo.
    And don't ever stop drawing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah guys thanks so much for the comments!! Im really glad I had comments today as I really felt down at not having enough time to draw the last few days and being a bit sick. Ah... really thank you for the advices too!!

@voicufcristian I took your advice, gonna start drawing much more from life

@ivan4oto thank you. about the hard round brushes, I really don't know yet how to find a hard brush or a soft brush... I'm using artrage 2.6. I dont love it but it was free and I dont have the money to buy photoshop. I'll have a poke around online for how to use it properly and see if I can't find it myself! HARD ROUND BRUSHES!!! noted
    oh and about colour picker.... do you mean dont use it at all? or don't use it from the reference images?

2 little still lifes... one pencil one digital... don't really like either of them... and some random line/form drawing to warm up... really enjoy this part sometimes I'll just post and keep drawing!

Name:  bible.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  197.7 KBName:  IMG_2440.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  41.6 KBName:  IMG_2444.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  30.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff i like that fruit ! For color picking i meant not to use it from referances. Use it only in the current canvas, though it's still not advisable when you're learning because in traditional painting you don't really have a color picking ability. It's a time saving technique in digital painting but for people that have already good with choosing the right colour from the palette. I cannot express how much i regret using this tool that much. It's not that you should't use it at all. But try to avoid it.
    Paint tool sai is a free software that you might like. I think there are some other free softwares that are decent for digital painting but i can't remember their names. I search them up tomorrow and put a comment.
    Also you might find it more convenient if you don't paint on pure white background. Instead try something similar to the CA background. But that's personal preference, some people prefer pure white backgrounds some prefer textures some dont... It's just that in the nature pure white doesn't really exist.
    The digital still life lacks value. You were obviously painting a black object so it's very crucial to get the right values. For example you can't have same values on the side of this object and on the top. (well you can but with extremely specific lighting). So an easy way of learning that i've been taught is to start with a linework. Do it with light lines but accurate and then when you start putting values start with the darkest colour/value and then go lighter.
    I hope that i've helped you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard brushes are those with hard edges, looks like clear circles. Although i have no idea where to find them in artrage. Should be some hardness setting somewhere. PaintTool Sai is great software but i'm not sure it's free. I heard it was abandoned but it's still can cost something. With color picker i wouldn't pick any colors from original images, but i use it all the time on my canvas. It's like picking from your won palette and saves time.

I like your samurai work. Looks nice and more three dimensional. Sword adds some depth. Can't comment much about anatomy i still learn it myself. I always check your updates so keep up the work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ivan4oto than you so much for all that info! I had a long hard look around the internet and decided to have a go with the free trial of photoshop elements 11. I could not find hard brush setting on art rage (i got it free anyway) plus I don't enjoy using it. The added benefit of using adobe is that i can find mountains of tutorials on how to use the program! elements is MUCH cheaper then photoshop and it seems good for a beginner like me

@MadGrav Yeah since using PS elements I got hard brushes, soft, flat... too many to even count! About the color picker, thats how I thought I should use it, glad I'm on the right track in that sense! And I also always check your updates! keep it up...dated

Loomis today, struggled so much with it though I really need more time to draw... ah well, I'll learn slow i guess. Im posotive I'm not the only one who struggles to wrap his mind around figure drawing!

Name:  IMG_2455.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  27.3 KBName:  IMG_2456.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  21.9 KBName:  IMG_2457.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  20.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't stop your on your way....I like the samurai I would just jump in with some soft leads to darken it maybe let the sword be your forcus so you allow the samurai to just be the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you Jkilla

So, i decided to set a little goal... or at least to stick with some sort of a guideline for the next little while. To focus on Figure drawing (mainly from Loomis but other places if i find the time) and when I can still life's and general life drawing as and when I can. At least this way I have less chaos in my brain about being overwhelmed with things to learn!
    I may do this digitally sometimes but I think my drawing foundations need improving so I may stick mainly to traditional pencils

struggled through Loomis but I will persevere with my one hour a day!!
    Name:  IMG_2461.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  30.2 KBName:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  26.9 KBName:  IMG_2465.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  24.5 KBName:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  23.7 KBName:  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  22.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tried my hand again at some gesture stuff... oh how I hate it but I feel its worth! will try to do more, the pic of the close up one is my fav. dunno why all of em dont look like that!

Name:  IMG_2476.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  22.2 KBName:  IMG_2477.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  19.3 KBName:  IMG_2478.jpg
Size:  22.3 KB

The rest is Loomis and playing around with drawing from the shoulder because I'm too wrist heavy. Then the boxes are quick angles practice from life... just tried to get as correct an angle as I could. Ok, have to go to work!

Name:  IMG_2475.jpg
Size:  23.1 KBName:  IMG_2479.jpg
Size:  19.9 KBName:  IMG_2480.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  21.3 KBName:  IMG_2481.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  32.6 KB

Attached Images Attached Images              

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Your perspective studies are great, and you have a solid understanding of form and construction (very clever using the kneaded eraser to understand shapes)! I don't really know how to tell you to improve, like you said we're on similar levels - but one thing you might want to look at is some anatomy (I suggest Bridgman), it really helps you understand what's going on under the skin and it'll let you know when body parts make sense and when they don't, you know?

Keep drawing and keep improving!

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Your perspective studies are great, and you have a solid understanding of form and construction (very clever using the kneaded eraser to understand shapes)! I don't really know how to tell you to improve, like you said we're on similar levels - but one thing you might want to look at is some anatomy (I suggest Bridgman), it really helps you understand what's going on under the skin and it'll let you know when body parts make sense and when they don't, you know?

Keep drawing and keep improving!

ĒI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Thistlegorm thanks for the advice! I am actually working my way (slowly) through Loomis's figure drawing for all its worth. I'm about to hit the anatomy section and kinda touched on some today. But yes I will deffo go and study some antomy! can't wait

Haven't posted for a week!!! Have been so busy with work I simply didn't have an hour to squeeze in drawing. So I tried to make up for it by drawing as much as I could in the last 4 days... here is what I did.... first all my Loomis studying...
    Name:  IMG_2525.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  32.0 KBName:  IMG_2526.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  28.5 KBName:  IMG_2527.jpg
Size:  28.3 KBName:  IMG_2528.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  31.8 KBName:  IMG_2529.jpg
Size:  30.5 KBName:  IMG_2531.jpg
Size:  31.1 KBName:  IMG_2532.jpg
Size:  25.3 KB

here a little life study while waiting for a plane. my legs completely feel asleep and then I ran our of time hence now shading at all! roughly 20 mins...
    Name:  IMG_2534.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  28.4 KB

some action shots from google images... just studying how to get more "life" into my drawing!! really fun!!
    Name:  IMG_2533.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB

a quick thing from my imagination (trying doesn't hurt), was really pleased at the time but looking back on it, hehe, not so much
    Name:  IMG_2530.jpg
Size:  40.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had a go at imaginative poses... is it just a practice practice practice thing to understand foreshortening, proportions, perspective and poses from different angles? should I maybe draw loads of photos in simple manakin form and then go draw from mind and keep alternating? My gut tells me yes, Im headed in the right chain of thinking... please tell me if Im wrong!
    I want to improve and not get stuck!

In any case.... I'll keep drawing!
    Name:  IMG_2535.jpg
Size:  285.2 KBName:  IMG_2536.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  27.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like all the mannequin poses you did using the Andrew loomis figure drawing one! great idea, im going to have to try that

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks blazingdimensions, its really helpful to me to do those yeah... still frustrating like crazy to do them though... I guess after a while of just doing them they start to flow and become more natural but for now, they will stay rigid and forced haha! slowly slowly

more Loomis (all i had time for)
    Name:  IMG_2555.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  28.4 KB

more mannequin/gesture poses I did loads of gesture stuff too but not gonna post pages of gestures...
    Name:  IMG_2545.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  23.8 KB

2 life studies, one on the train (very shakey) and another one at home, really disapointed with it but I'm forcing myself to try and get over the drawing, "hump" of beginner!!
    Name:  IMG_2547.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  28.3 KBName:  IMG_2554.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  20.7 KB

and here I was messing around with shading and the water drop shape. I like the one made out of spare parts hehe
    Name:  IMG_2553.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  23.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was working a lot tihs week so a lot of the spare time I had I tried to rest a bit. Drew as much as I could and this is what I got...

Challenge of 500 30 sec gestures (only managed 275, won't post them all just some)
    Name:  IMG_2581.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  24.9 KBName:  IMG_2583.jpg
Size:  23.8 KBName:  IMG_2608.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  33.8 KBName:  IMG_2609.jpg
Size:  34.2 KBName:  IMG_2610.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  48.1 KB

Been trying to learn photoshop elements 11 and alos learning a bit about Light and here are my little studies (not sure you can export with the trial version so I took screen shots)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 12.10.57.png
Size:  238.5 KBName:  Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 12.11.16.png
Size:  164.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2013-03-31 at 12.11.19.png
Size:  165.1 KB

the rest is random sketches here and there (even on the toilet hehehe)
    Name:  IMG_2569.jpg
Size:  15.1 KBName:  IMG_2570.jpg
Size:  11.8 KBName:  IMG_2571.jpg
Size:  12.3 KBName:  IMG_2591.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  10.9 KBName:  IMG_2592.jpg
Size:  12.6 KBName:  IMG_2593.jpg
Size:  13.6 KBName:  IMG_2594.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  12.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a few things I've done this week... I wish I had more time

Name:  IMG_2589.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  30.2 KBName:  IMG_2590.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  40.6 KBName:  IMG_2605.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  35.3 KBName:  IMG_2668.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  33.0 KBName:  IMG_2669.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  31.3 KBName:  IMG_2670.jpg
Size:  49.4 KBName:  IMG_2671.jpg
Size:  44.9 KBName:  IMG_2672.jpg
Size:  29.0 KBName:  IMG_2673.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  35.2 KBName:  IMG_2674.jpg
Size:  32.3 KBName:  IMG_2675.jpg
Size:  33.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 21.05.41.png
Size:  322.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres some of what I have been up to this week, trying to put a little illustration together to do with a helicopter and sadness... well, it will probably take me a while as its my first real attempt! anyways... here it all is!

Name:  IMG_2691.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  22.9 KBName:  IMG_2693.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  40.9 KBName:  IMG_2694.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  41.9 KBName:  IMG_2695.jpg
Size:  37.3 KBName:  IMG_2696.jpg
Size:  38.6 KBName:  IMG_2713.jpg
Size:  37.3 KBName:  IMG_2715.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  18.2 KBName:  IMG_2716.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  12.1 KBName:  IMG_2717.jpg
Size:  51.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep refining your pics your going in the right direction to completing your work. I like the way your helicopter is comming out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1