Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Jordan's Sketchbook - The Long, Cold Road

Hi folks,

I've been lurking for years now and it's about time I actually started posting. I've spent the last 3 years studying CG Arts and Animation and although I drew during my projects I really want to get a grip on my illustration and painting skills.

The CA.org community has always been amazing and I'm hoping to get plenty of feedback and advice from you guys along the journey. I'll be trying to post as much as possible. I think my biggest area of focus first will be trying to get to grips with the basics again. I think I know where my biggest weaknesses are, but in short, I just want to improve and paint / draw way more than I ever have done.

So, let's get this on the road. Here's some of my work from the last few years, all the feedback and crits you can give would mean the world as I post studies and sketches throughout the week

Name:  avatar_img_01_xsmall.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  34.8 KB

Last edited by Jordan_; November 13th, 2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Sketchbook Thumbnail Change
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Edit: Work from previous post

Name:  Mycelia_Concept_Colour_Glow.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  272.4 KBName:  Mushroom_Redraw_Colour.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  214.3 KBName:  Concept_Art_New_York_Print.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  221.0 KBName:  Concept_Art_Dead_Hand_Print1.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  247.3 KBName:  Concept_Art_Bottle_Print_2.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  218.2 KBName:  Basidia1Colour1.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  241.6 KB

Here's a couple of speed paints from the last couple of days. Between 45 mins and 1 hour 30. The likeness on them is a bit off but I'm starting to get a bit more confident putting down colour quickly and trying to work out forms. Both are film stills but I'll be moving on to anatomy and environment work soon.

Bronson

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_004_(Bronson).jpg
Views: 630
Size:  170.0 KB

There Will Be Blood

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_002_(Daniel_Day_Lewis).jpg
Views: 621
Size:  194.4 KB

Last edited by Jordan_; January 20th, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks
    Trying to paint every day so below is a quick study from life I did last night.

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_009_(Bottle_Study).jpg
Views: 619
Size:  142.4 KB

Another speed paint from a film still. This time from Martha Marcy May Marlene, but in the speed I lost the likeness and the forms of the face are a bit off.

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_006_(Marcy_May).jpg
Views: 612
Size:  290.5 KB

Along with a few studies from photographic reference, the second is from Inglourious Basterds.

Name:  Landscape_Studies_01.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  484.9 KB

Thanks
    A few studies from today, a set of 3 environments and a quick life study. The environments are the aspect I want to improve most in the future, it's something I struggle with but already I'm starting to get more comfortable blocking out scenes quickly.

Environments

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_008a_(Landscapes).jpg
Views: 583
Size:  279.3 KB

Life Study

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_010a_(Ipod_Glasses_Study).jpg
Views: 573
Size:  147.8 KB

Thanks
    Another quick study to post, this is again a film still but I'll be moving onto real stuff soon, I promise. Image is from The Master but again I'm messing up proportions and likeness.

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_011a_(The_Master).jpg
Views: 582
Size:  235.2 KB

Thanks
    This morning's quick study was from reference shown below. It took about an hour, I'm already starting to feel like I'm making some progress but I'm still struggling to make my work not feel so flat. I think it could be to do with my brushwork being so linear and 2d. Any crits would be awesome.

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_013_(Female_Study).jpg
Views: 824
Size:  300.6 KB
    Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_013_(Female_Study)_Reference.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  252.8 KB

Thanks
    I think the biggest problem you have in that lat post is the drawing, i would say that you should not worry too much about your brush strokes as that is fairly easy to learn and comes with practice. Your main areas of study should be drawing, values, edges and colour. But of course technical stuff like brush strokes is still good to learn about hahaha, keep it up!

Thanks
    Hello Jordan! Good stuff in here, you are definitely improving. Subscribed, hope to see more work from you.

Thanks
    @ jabbit - Thanks man, I'll try my best. I think you are completely right, value and edge seem to be something I'm currently struggling with. Practicing everyday will hopefully yield some results.

@ Uncle - Cheers Kin, really glad to see you on here man. Hope all is well and keep up the awesome work, your SB is looking great already.

A few studies from today, trying to study anatomy and value over the next couple of weeks or so.

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_014_(Female_Study).jpg
Views: 566
Size:  137.8 KB

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_015_(Skull_Study).jpg
Views: 527
Size:  286.2 KB

Thanks
    Hi man, thanks for stopping by my sb , I see that you are quite new to cA website - welcome. I agree with jabbit said in his post.
    If your using Photoshop

Try to use a big brush in the beginning and fill form, you can do it under a line drawing or sketch.
    The fill can be quit loose /edgewise , so its bascially a plain object without details .
    Now lock the opacity, its in the layer stack window. Try to go over the object with a big soft brush getting the major shadows down.

Ex the skulls left side would be pretty much a soft shadow with little detail. Now grab the lasso tool and grab a slightly darker value and fill in eyeholes and the mouth cavity.
    Repeat - going from large shadowforms to smaller forms.
    If you want to tighten up those edges just make and mask ( also in the layer stack ) select it and paint the mask around the skull - it'll keep your edges sharp and if you have to paint something close to the edge it wont go "loose"
    again.

Thanks
    @ FatMoSkank - Thank you for the welcome and awesome feedback. I've been trying to put your advice into practice and although it currently takes me a lot longer to complete studies, the results so far seem to be moving in the right direction.

This study from today isn't perfect, but the definition is a lot clearer than previous pieces. Definitely will be moving forward with the approach outlined by FatMoSkank. I think spending some time improving my sketching skills and also rendering skills will help.

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_017_(Bottle_Study).jpg
Views: 751
Size:  234.1 KB

Name:  Speed_Paint_Linework.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  143.5 KB

Thanks
    wow that looks much better !

Thanks
    @FatMoStank - Thanks man, your advice is already helping me a ton.

New study from yesterday, from life reference. I would have loved to spend a lot longer really refining the paintings but I'd like to improve my broader skills before I go for long studies that achieve realistic definition. It did really highlight some areas that I will try and do mini studies on soon, for example, the cloth background is something I think needs some study.

Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_019b_(Fruit_Study).jpg
Views: 782
Size:  279.3 KB
    Name:  Speed_Paint_Study_019a_(Fruit_Study).jpg
Views: 743
Size:  133.1 KB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2