WIP wallpapers - would love critique!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP wallpapers - would love critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP wallpapers - would love critique!

hey there, we currently have some uni briefs to create characters and present them in wallpapers. ive not finished painting them yet but i would be very grateful for any critique- i can definately see theres something "off" with them, but i need to look at them with fresh eyes.

the first one is the main character of a 3rd person digital game, i decided to go a fantasy route cause dayum i love mages

Name:  player2 copy.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  191.0 KB

2nd up were two enemies that look like they belong to the same visual family- one that fits a soldier role, one a tank

Name:  family2 copy.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  156.6 KB

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heavily suggest getting some references for your pieces especially for the top one where the perspective seems abit mangled. Also some references for people so you cna shoot abit higher with your anatomy and make those people and things more believable. Also I do not believe you are ready for color yet. Try working out your values before you move on to hue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the critique, i actually used refernce for the background and figure soo uhh...not sure what to do there i think i see what you mean about the perspective and i got some other refence and desatured them so you could see the tone, heres the second changed slightly

Views: 135
Size:  138.4 KB

and the first, again changed slightly, mainly the backghround

Views: 136
Size:  167.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tried to do some work with lighting...im not sure it was succesful

Views: 102
Size:  227.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, sounds like a fun assignment. I agree with Vandall on the anatomy, references can help - more and more practice. With your two enemies, specifically the male, there appears to be no weight distribution in their stances. Since the male looks bloated and heavier on one side, the rest of his body would lean to the other side to counter balance it.

The blood feels too clean and pinkish, it's probably just me but I think that it should be messier, especially when the blades of the woman are involved. Fresh blood is more vibrant, after a while it oxidizes and turns brown this could help when it comes to staining clothes.

With the mage, the background colors detract from the focal point, you could try misting it out a bit and lowering the saturation to freshen the focus on her. The pauldron doesn't feel as though it's sitting on her body, it looks as though it's cutting into her. Lifting it a little more will give her a stronger shape.
    Her nose doesn't seem to be aligned with the angle that her face is looking.

I hope these help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks magentis, this was a super useful critique! it was a fun assignment, i just wish i hadnt been so busy with other stuff. this is what i handed in in the end, but im gonna keep on working on them so i can put them in my portfolio. next up is changing the balance of the two enemies and moving that paldron.

Views: 44
Size:  184.8 KB
Views: 40
Size:  234.7 KB

added in this es lot are the "cannon fodder" enemy we had to design. i started this one later, hence its not been in this thread before
    Name:  grunt screensaver2 copy.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  124.0 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.