Sketchbook: Ben Lind's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ben Lind's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ben Lind's Sketchbook

Hello world!

I have drawn ever since I was a young boy, but I have never seriously committed to improving my drawing for more than a few days at a time, and as a result I am not nearly at the point where I want to be yet. I hope to post drawings, sketches, and paintings (digital, most likely) to this thread as often as possible, and it would be great if I could get some constructive criticism of my work by other artists on these forums. I am not aiming to be the next da Vinci here, but I do want to improve my skill in order to capture beauty to a higher and more realistic degree through this process.

Any and all thoughts are more than welcome, and I thank you in advance for any input you may give!

Ben Lind

Soli Deo gloria!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as I can see it, here's my dilemma: I can draw from life fairly well, and I can make things looks pretty realistic and 3D when I can observe them, but when I try to draw most anything from memory, I fail pretty miserably.

Here are examples of what I can draw when working from life or reference:

Name:  Tree-Root.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  Beached-Boat.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  249.8 KB

And here's what happens when I sketch (the center hammer/axe and the bottom person are both from reference, if you can't tell):

Name:  Sketches-1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  208.8 KB

And finally, here are my two latest sketches. Both are from reference images (top and bottom).

Name:  House-on-Hill-and-Misty-Fisherman.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  289.1 KB

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my sketching? I just can't seem to pull off realistic sketches to any degree.

Soli Deo gloria!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a banana I drew from life with my little brother today (I was trying to teach him how to draw what he sees instead of what he thinks he sees):

Name:  Banana.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  124.8 KB

Edit: My previous post is still being held for moderation, and it explains more about what I'm aiming to improve in my drawings. This one must have been approved more quickly because it has only one image in it.

Soli Deo gloria!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.