I need a tutor
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I need a tutor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile I need a tutor

Hi again!

I am based in London and I am looking for a tutor/mentor.

I am self-taught sketcher and have recently started sketching again (after many years). I have bought books and try to get as much help as possible from the internet, but I need guidance for sure. Specially after seeing all the great art work in this site I know there is a long way to go… I do not even dare to upload any sketches of mine yet!

Anyone interested for the job??? Any suggestions are also welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of mentor are you looking for? Entertainment design, visual development or character design or something else?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofiarem View Post
    Hi again!

I am based in London and I am looking for a tutor/mentor.

I am self-taught sketcher and have recently started sketching again (after many years). I have bought books and try to get as much help as possible from the internet, but I need guidance for sure. Specially after seeing all the great art work in this site I know there is a long way to go… I do not even dare to upload any sketches of mine yet!

Anyone interested for the job??? Any suggestions are also welcome.
    Best thing you can do is pick up a book about the basics and start learning. Sketching is just the simplest form of drawing, what you should do is get a good book and start learning yourself what to do with shades and forms. A mentor is good so you should just search in google for one. London should have plenty to choose from. But I guess it would be good if you point our your age and what type of class you want exactly, so that others may help you more with choosing a mentor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for replying. I have no idea to be honest… I know where I am and where I want to get, but I do not know how.

I used to sketch everything that would come on my way and I loved playing with shades (still do). I have started sketching again, but there is now one there to tell me how I am doing or how to improve.

The goal is to explore sketching and drawing, improve and create a portfolio that will allow me to apply for animation courses. Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes it does. Look at your favorite colleges/universities and look at what they require for a portfolio. Even if you don't have the skills yet, it's good to know what you will need. But anyways fundementals are always the basic of everything. The least thing you should do is learn how to draw perfectly with pencil and then for instance try color, but as far as I know animation courses requires figures and such, so definetly you should focus on being able to draw objects from life (especially people) in identical shapes. I am guessing that every mentor would be helpfull as long as he is not making sculptures out of rice (for instance).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to platformerbg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was really helpful, thank you.
    I had a look at a few universities, but since they want me to do a foundation year the portfolio requirements are too generic. I forgot to mention, I am 32, I have studied economics and the last time I had an art teacher was when I was 12… That’s why I am a bit lost.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.