Practice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Practice

Last edited by FoodTeaArt; 1 Week Ago at 03:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you can confer the third expression to the first image, maybe even more so, really sell it (without it looking cartoony) then I'd go with number 1.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just the expression.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That "cartoony" face is stiff and boring. All you did was turn his features into some quick symbols and simultaneously made his expression even more subdued.

You said you want to give a cartoony look to ADD to his expression? You don't seem to be trying. I'm serious. Insincere cartoons always irk me.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 16th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick question: When you first thought "cartoon", what came to mind? A particular look or artist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 and 3 are my favourite. 3 looks much betterin in the newer version but his nose doesnt look like a version of the nose in 1, it looks like a different nose thats been cartooned. still looks awesome so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, still think it needs more expression, and the eyes are very dead.
    Sell it more than the original ref (you have to encapsulate the entire scene in one shot)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FoodTeaArt View Post
    Wow this looks much better.
    Sorry, if you ask me, it looks just as stiff and bland as the last time.

I should point out that I think your "realistic" face is better than any of the others. I just focused on the "cartoony" one for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Black Spot; 6 Days Ago at 03:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the first one the best but he looks like a large person, not a small hobbit. i think his head is too small

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As some famous artist who I can't name says, the eyes let the viewer into the head/thoughts of the character. The expression is everything. He's reading. He could look surprised, contemplative, upset, any number of things.

Quick slight paintover because I enjoy expressions. They give the characters their entire personality.
    My suggestion make him interact more with whatever he's reading. Make the viewer wonder what's going on in his head.

Name:  attachment copy.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  135.5 KB

Also don't forget to angle his head/chin, ear etc to face the right direction. Which I didn't do in the paintover lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The expression on the first picture on the last figure was brilliant.
    It has gone downhill from here.

Don't overexaggerate it and dumb it down to a super-obvious emotion.
    Don't overthink it by making him look on the paper or moving around his eyebrows to make the expression more plausible,
    that dumbs it down too.

The first expression perfectly catched someone who just read some big bullshit
    and gets a thousand yard stare because he can't process what he just read.
    There's a mix of disbelieve and anger bubbling up in his face, but it's not there yet.
    As a bonus, you've catched the expression head on with that cartoony exaggeration.

It's a really funny expression because it tells the whole story of what happened and what will happen:
    He just read the papers, right now he can't believe what is written there and
    he is about to get angry and react in some hilarious way (like exploding with rage or being all weird and quiet).
    That is what creates a tension for the viewer.
    The moment before something happens, before the shit hits the fan
    or before the hot poker goes in the eye is often more interesting than the action itself.

By moving his eyes down it just becomes the expression of a guy who's reading something confusing.
    By changing the expression to anger or scepticism, you've got the climax already and miss the tension.
    Sometimes showing a surpressed emotion that is about to break through is the most interesting thing you can do.

--

I'm such a nerd, here's the theory in action:
    http://youtu.be/iR6KjNmN2BA
    How interesting/funny is Ren at the beginning of the clip when he's obviously angry with shouting, pointy teeth and angry eyes.
    How interesting/funny is he when he surpresses his rage and tries to be calm while actually boiling with anger

Last edited by Kiera; January 20th, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
    I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    I'm such a nerd, here's the theory in action:
    http://youtu.be/iR6KjNmN2BA
    How interesting/funny is Ren at the beginning of the clip when he's obviously angry with shouting, pointy teeth and angry eyes.
    How interesting/funny is he when he surpresses his rage and tries to be calm while actually boiling with anger
    Haha, nice. Not so sure if pointing to Ren and Stimpy is the best for this topic, but it sure as hell is something to check out for good cartoony extreme expressions. Spumco certainly made it their business to push themselves when it came to those.

That said, I think the OP should avoid going that far at this point.

OP, if you haven't already, try to make the actual expression you're aiming for with a mirror on hand.

It was Kiera's post that made me realize what on earth the character's supposed to be emoting at all. Even your best face doesn't make it clear as to what his expression really is or what's going on.

There need to be more cues, and you don't (and REALLY should not, in my opinion) have to go Ren and Stimpy in order to portray it clearly.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 20th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ah didn't know you were basing it off an original scene, thought you were doing an original.
    Then I have 2 things to comment on that it doesn't feel your character has.

The wrinkled brow, you have it in the first try but the other features don't match, that expression is contemplative suggested also by the cheek slightly being drawn back, looks like he's slightly biting his lip. Since If I remember that scene he was reading and a bit confused trying to take in what was going on. Then the fact that he's staring down at his paper being the focus of the composition. Yours it isn't centered on the character reading we're viewing the full character while the scene from the movie on the other hand is centered directly on the character reading that pamphlet, zoomed in on his torso to face everything else is blurred out because that's the focus.

It's going to be hard getting that subtle emotion with only a few strokes unless it's very large in the frame imo. Especially if it's supposed to be stylized.

Last edited by JFierce; January 20th, 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 3