Sketchbook: Like a kitchen stove full of sketches rolling down a hill
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Like a kitchen stove full of sketches rolling down a hill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Like a kitchen stove full of sketches rolling down a hill

My last sketchbook was a bit of a complete flop. Two years have passed and I've gotten more productive and confident. Just bought a new sketchbook and polished up my tablet, and it's time to pick up the pace. Bring on the critique!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Davie; May 2nd, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more in the bag! More figures, more faces, a selfportrait, and practicing a different coloring style.
    Name:  2013 one.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  376.7 KBName:  2013 two.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  450.0 KBName:  2013 three.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  375.9 KBName:  Bottle.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  212.8 KBName:  Teatime small.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  505.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick update--this was pretty much the fastest I've ever gotten a painting to a relatively complete state. Every day I discover some new feature of Photoshop that I can use to my advantage.
    Name:  Sentinel Small.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  424.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to hear you getting back into the groove of things. Definitely going to check back on your work. If I may ask, what kind of drawings do you like to do?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MisterY, thanks for stopping by! More than anything else I like to draw "functional" fantasy--I'm not a huge fan of Warcraft-style megapauldrons and glowy crystals and eight-inch-wide swords. So there's a lot of buckles and rivets and peeling paint and horse crap in my drawings. I also try to pull inspiration from frequently-ignored parts of history--Neolithic Europe, Central Asian cultures, the Americas in the early days--there's loads of awesome stuff to draw there if you poke around. That's not to say I don't still enjoy drawing the occasional hoplite or feudal lord

That, and I like to draw all kinds of people, male, female, old, young, bald, hairy, skinny or ripped, you name it. People in their infinite variety are quite fun.

Anyway, enough navel-gazing and on to the sketches! Next time I hope to have more anatomy studies, and perhaps less deadpan expressions.
    Name:  People.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  484.6 KBName:  Perfect Day.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  473.4 KBName:  QuickLandscapes.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  359.3 KBName:  Scarf Guy.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  371.6 KBName:  Atmo.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  263.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more things today. Still terrible at quick gestures, so I did a few of those, and tried a bit of pen...need to do that more often, it's awesome. Also, photo study!

Name:  40seconds.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  272.5 KBName:  40seconds2.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  487.9 KBName:  Facesndoubt.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  481.2 KBName:  Titan.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  337.1 KBName:  Cloud Tiny.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  528.0 KBName:  SmokeSmall.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  252.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good that you're doing grayscale digitals and study the light/dark distribution, the colour ones were suffering in that department. You ever done some reading on colour theory? If you haven't, might be worth looking up. Try poking around this site, i know there's some good info around in here. Pencils are deft, but you need to think more in form and less in line, that habit is holding you back a little. Hope that doesn't sound too hermetic, feel free to pester me if you want more clarification on that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to walnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your 'surreptitious sketching', where do you do that? Just in the street? I've never managed to get close enough to see their faces.

I really like that black and white of the woman smoking, its very expressive and feels very natural. In the colour ones, I reckon that the colours could be a bit more unified. Like in the man with the spear on the mountain one, the colours all seem very separate. The guy in particular looks very bright and saturated compared to the background. Maybe try pulling colours from other areas into each other, or adding some fog or something.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rovanna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walnut! Having you critique my sketching was a minor life goal, so thanks! Anyway, yeah, color is definitely my biggest stumbling block. I still haven't found an optimal way to practice it properly (or I just don't know my way around color fundamentals). I'll keep poking around like you said. And I totally get what you're saying about form over line. I'm trying to break the habit of starting with outlines because it's definitely making my sketches look flat. It'll come with time and practice, I hope. Thanks again!

Rovanna: For sketching strangers in the wild, coffee shops are your friend. Everyone's engrossed in their homework or their laptop, and sits nice and still for you. Plus you have something of a workspace and easy access to caffeine, so what's not to like? As for the critique, you're dead on about the saturation. I'm slowly getting the hang of unified color schemes, but light levels and saturation are still causing me problems. :/ Welp, more crap to practice!

It's been pretty unstructured the last couple of weeks; just drawing this and that. I did some super quick landscape thumbnails just to get the ideas down on paper. Might try to build off some of those in color and see what happens. Oh yeah, and there's a picture of my friends' awesomely terrible band.
    Name:  Malaz 2.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  424.3 KB
    Really need to get a better scanner and a flatter sketchbook. Fuckin' gutters! Name:  Malaz.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  460.9 KBName:  LandThumbs.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  519.6 KBName:  Danielle.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  337.1 KBName:  Blimp.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  459.5 KBName:  Magekiller.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  308.5 KBName:  Tool.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  432.1 KBName:  Hostilities.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  418.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks for dropping by. Awesome to see someone else bringing the malz characters to life. Quick Ben is pretty much exactly how I imagined him and I really like the direction you took Tool in as well. I feel like the heavy brow and slightly neanderthal look works really well for what the T'lan should look like. As for crits, I would suggest pushing your lighting more in your paintings. Like if you have a warm light, really hit up those shadows with a cool color and vice versa, it seems small but it really pops your character forward. Other than that, just keep up the studies. Will definitely keep an out out for more

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pundt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like your pencil sketch and anatomy study.Really impressive. And the sketch of the knight sit on the snow moutain is cool too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kimtan123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will definitely have to try the coffee shop thing then. The colours in the swordsman picture look much better, much more unified. And I really like the personality in the characters in the last picture. Who are they?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rovanna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pundt: I took your advice on lighting, and good god did it help. Thanks mate!

Kimtan123: Thanks for stopping by!

Rovanna: That would be my friends' band, The Hostilities. They are talented musicians and atrocious songwriters. They say they'll make that their album cover, assuming they ever produce an album, so that's pretty cool.

Today, let's see...more 1 and 2 minute gestures. Some random out-and-about sketching. That black and white landscape could net me an illustration contract when it's finished, so I'm pretty excited about that.
    And then, color studies. I was trying to make use of the advice I've gotten in this thread so far, but only today did it really click. I found a photograph that nicely referenced the lighting I wanted, and holy shit, I feel like I just leveled up. That douchey elf may be my greatest work thus far!

Name:  Gestures1.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  446.8 KBName:  Gestures 2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  431.1 KBName:  Cafe2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  406.6 KBName:  Cafe1 001.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  334.1 KBName:  Malaz3 001.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  462.5 KBName:  CrownPointWIP.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  440.9 KBName:  Woodlight.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  443.0 KBName:  Vision.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  216.7 KBName:  Elf Small.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  446.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the advice in my sketchbook, i like what you have goin on here, i really like those environment thumbnails you did their awesome, great stuff keep it up! oh yea and you should definitely get your hands on a Loomis book, their very helpful.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshfool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey , wanted to tell you this is some great stuff here. I mean , there is evidence of a good path and good foundation. Keep going.

Also , participate in more CHOW's , you'll learn lots from those.

Good luck and nice stuff.

Please visit , comment , critique and have a chat with me

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! I'd love to see you work on diversity of body types and ages though for all genders. Excited to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Freshfool: Thanks! I keep meaning to crank out some finished versions of those environments because they were quite fun to do.

Rostas: Will do. The last CHOW was an excellent learning experience, although I think I missed the deadline by a couple hours. But I'm doing this week's too.

RissaKay: Fair point! The honest truth is that, perhaps unsurprisingly, most of the easily available figure reference tends to feature young, fit models. That, and the places where I hang out and draw people are usually filled with skinny twentysomethings. So my reference pool is pretty small. That said, I love drawing all types of people when I get the chance, and I can definitely make my characters a little more varied.

Quick update today, mostly digital stuff...I did last week's CHOW and I'm well on my way through this week's. Plus some fiddling with silly tree brushes and an idea for a friend's Balrog tattoo that I hope he won't regret later in life!

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  343.6 KBName:  Antlers.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  396.9 KBName:  Balrog.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  275.8 KBName:  Berserker.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  490.0 KBName:  OutlawWIP1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  229.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This update was really good! On regards to the problem with finding references--- I have a reference folder on my tumblr, here, which has lots of diversity, as well as a blog full of babes of different ages and sizes and races and genders and stuff here! You might like to use it for reference--I know I do! Keep up the good work.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RissaKay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really trying to push the digital stuff lately; I'm not learning the nuts and bolts of Photoshop as quickly as I'd like. A couple of those landscapes are from the thumbnails I posted earlier--Those were fun and I might do the whole set at this point. I've been looking at a lot of work by Noah Bradley and Feng Zhu and been super-inspired to do some pretty scenery.

Oh plus more Malazan characters because there are scores of them and they're all fun to sketch!
    Name:  img003.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  367.1 KBName:  img004.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  422.3 KBName:  img001.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  452.6 KBName:  Ascendants.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  466.1 KBName:  Outlaw.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  361.2 KBName:  Splinter Coast.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  390.3 KBName:  Expedition.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  176.8 KBName:  Tehraka.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  366.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finally found a PDF of Figure Drawing for All It's Worth last week, and now I know why people worship Andrew Loomis around here. His gesture drawing "mannequin" is an amazingly simple and effective way to block out a pose. Most of these are figure drawing in that vein, and a couple of studies I referenced straight from the book.

Also, a portrait commissioned by a friend, and a 4-hour landscape. Back to work!

Name:  img008.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  405.2 KBName:  img009.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  388.2 KBName:  img010.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  388.5 KBName:  img011.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  381.5 KBName:  img012.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  371.9 KBName:  img013.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  410.0 KBName:  BethSmall.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  332.5 KBName:  Sunada small.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  443.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update--I spent most of last week working on the ChOW, so that's most of what I have to show for it. And with Game of Thrones coming back on I couldn't resist doing a little art in that vein.

Name:  Lizard Girl small.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  329.9 KBName:  Lightning Lord B&W small.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  438.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been a month, but a productive month. I've been hired to illustrate a substantially-sized novel, which will be in print this time next year. It's nice to be making actual money off my art.

In the meantime, the usual (giant, erratically formatted) sketchdump. I've been trying some more varied subject matter than the usual vikings n' fanart fare.

Instantaneous Edit: What happened to the new uploader? That thing was useful as all get out, and now I seem to be back to uploading each image individually as an attachment. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the color stuff I've been doing lately...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, the site's back! Hopefully it stays that way for more than few days this time around.

Haven't had a chance to scan my actual sketchbook lately but I have some finished work and digital scribbles lying around, so there ya go!

Name:  Insomnia.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  412.9 KBName:  A portrait.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  186.7 KBName:  DAN.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  143.1 KBName:  BlackBeast.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  390.5 KBName:  WahkeenatINY.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  585.6 KBName:  Forgotten Beast 2.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  400.2 KBName:  Hircine.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  388.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More digital stuff--the last one's a WIP I started today. I think I need to make the lighting a little less omnidirectional, among other things. Hopefully it'll turn out as epic as I intend.

It'd be nice if they could keep the forums up for more than a couple days at a time...I never know when I can get on here these days.

Name:  Emerge.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  248.5 KBName:  Anu.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  564.6 KBName:  Godkillers.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  353.3 KB

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hot damn thats some serious improvement already! i can tell the ones you put a lot more effort into, and those ones really stand out to me as 'leveling up'. although i dont really like saying that term haha i dont know why it bugs me.. but yea man, the lines are getting much better. and the digital painting has definitely come a looong way! i dont really have any crits for now, at least nothing too specific, honestly, just keep doing what your doing. studiying, and then applying what you study to something from your imagination to really cement what you learned in your head. keep that up and youll be flying in no time!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Members who have read this thread: 2