help me with references for sci-fi :D
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: help me with references for sci-fi :D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile help me with references for sci-fi :D

so i have a problem, i'm not used to draw sci fi theme for my assignment, now i have assignment for designing some interior of space ship (like mass effect normandy) and a sci fi city? where can i find a references for this type of thing?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Modern machines. Old beaten up machines. Bugs. Fish. Modern cities. Old cities. New technology. Rusty technology. Bone structures. Mythology.

The list goes on. Sci-fi can be anything you make of it. There are cliches, sure. But unlike medieval fantasy, which is based on alot of specific real life things, science fiction is anything you want it to be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I just googled "space ship interior" and "sci fi city" and got a lot of different pictures. Unless you want something more specific I think that should be enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe watch the Tron movies and check out the Phantasy Star Online games (hub area), if you're into more neon techy stuff. If you want more realism, Outland with Sean Connery. Leviathan is an underwater movie but it has some very snazzy corridor sets.

Make notes and scribbles whenever you see interesting greebles on the walls, and build your library from that.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Or of course you can get really into it and do a form-follows-function approach... Think about what this thing is, what it's supposed to do, what's the culture behind it, what sort of planet/environment did this culture develop from, etc. and take logical steps from there.

And then augment it with real life things that have similar functions/development/etc.

So maybe you have a city on an icy dark planet - well, windows aren't going to be a big feature. Maybe it's underground? Maybe it uses thermal vents for heat? Maybe volcanic fissures are built right into the city? Oh hey, let's go look at some caves and volcanoes for inspiration... And maybe some catacombs and tunnels... And some cave creatures... And some deep-sea vent creatures too, because, y'know, dark and cold places with volcanic heat, why not... And hey, ice caves, let's find some! Etc. etc. etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a problem and use science or psudo science to solve it, tend to be a way to do it.
    For space ships there is no real rule, as you can go as crazy you want from a clean ipod style ship to a goth styled rocket shaped as a castle, or even a organic mecanical herring shaped ship in space you sit in a blob and control with nerve connectors.

Try to think as if you were 7 or so and you may find some really funny and intresting ways to create the scifi vission.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.