Evil Fire Warrior - Finished Char Illustration - Needs Critique for Next Illustration

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Evil Fire Warrior - Finished Char Illustration - Needs Critique for Next Illustration

Name:  Human The Sidekick - Selling Illustration final.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  152.4 KB

This is a Character 'Selling' Illustration I made for a design class.
    This is the first time I went through all the steps to create a character and
    also the first time I made a decent Character Illustration.

I've had three days to paint this, so I didn't have any time to do any Material Studies.. The metal looks awful.

I tried to keep into acount the composition, colours, lighting and ways to lead the eye.
    How do you guys think I did and why?

What could I improve for the next design and character illustration (Which I'm gonna have to have finished by monday)?

P.S. Backstory can be found in my latest Schetchbook post

Please visit LYCHEE'S Amateurish Imaginarium of Art (A.K.A. My Sketchbook)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wellll...he's looking off to his left, kind of at us, his arm is pointing away to the right, and the beam is angling downwards somehow. You'll better serve your picture idea if everything's lining up. Leads the eye, makes for more drama.

His body is completely obscured by armor, but I don't find the underlying anatomy plausible. I don't see how there can be a proper torso in there, or a proper right arm. Even with extreme armor, you need to start by sketching the body underneath.

On the other hand, the fire is rendered pretty well. I don't think the metal looks awful; it looks okay to me. I like the little smoky figures in the background. And if you lined everything up, I'd like the composition. And the yellowy/purply color thing you've got going.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice colors. The facial anatomy isn't convincing.

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wellll...he's looking off to his left, kind of at us, his arm is pointing away to the right, and the beam is angling downwards somehow. You'll better serve your picture idea if everything's lining up. Leads the eye, makes for more drama.

His body is completely obscured by armor, but I don't find the underlying anatomy plausible. I don't see how there can be a proper torso in there, or a proper right arm. Even with extreme armor, you need to start by sketching the body underneath.

On the other hand, the fire is rendered pretty well. I don't think the metal looks awful; it looks okay to me. I like the little smoky figures in the background. And if you lined everything up, I'd like the composition. And the yellowy/purply color thing you've got going.
    Quote Originally Posted by DPFX View Post
    Nice colors. The facial anatomy isn't convincing.

Thanks for the replies!

I shouldn't have to explain this but his right arm is amputated just below his elbow, and replaced by his sword. Still, I agree the shoulder looks awkward.
    I tried to pull of a 'Golden Mean' (Mollusk-shell-ish) spiral composition with the detail on 1/3rd of the image (from the right), to highlight his face.

Any tips for the next illustration?

Soooo things I took from this for the next one are:

- Properly sketch out anatomy before rendering (don't be lazy!)
    - Even more research about composition and leading the eye
    - Do more studies for faces. (probably also need to sketch the anatomy better before I start to paint)

Please visit LYCHEE'S Amateurish Imaginarium of Art (A.K.A. My Sketchbook)

Members who have read this thread: 3