Demon Concept
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Demon Concept

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Demon Concept

Hey guys, any time taken to critique this piece will be greatly appreciated! Right now I'm quite lost on what to fix/work on, the skulls at her feet need further rendering; but there's something about her chest that seems off, although I can't quite pinpoint it. Advice on anything else will help me out a lot. I've never actually finished a piece of work so now would be a great time to start

Thank you in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Magentis; February 23rd, 2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: changed title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving it. The pose is good. The only crits I think I can muster would be that the breasteses are the brightest spot on her, like a spot light is shining on them. Maybe adding more light to her head would even it out more or even lowering the contrast a bit on her breast area. And perhaps the size of the skulls shes standing on are a bit too big compared to the size of her head. Looks great otherwise!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristopherRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why isn't the light helping define the forms of the arms, horns, weapon, etc? The values are very flat right now.

Even taking intentional exaggeration into account, the anatomy looks unresearched. Not terrible, but off.

The rendering of the fabric elements is unconvincing.

What is the curved jagged thing she's standing on?

I'm not a fan of the costume being half refined and half tattered.

The silhouette is nice, but the composition seems a bit uninspired, with her more or less in the middle of the frame.

Standing on a pile of skulls is a bit cliche.

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DPFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Main problems are anatomy and posture.
    Huge forearms! knees look to high and her weight is off, so she's leaning forward.
    With a canted hip, her head should be in line with the supporting foot.
    If in doubt, get reference - either photo, friend or mirror.
    In fact act it out - see how your weight is spread, feel where your bones are.

This seems familiar? or maybe its a very common idea…

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys for the feedback!

ChristopherRyan: You're right, I'll place more light on her helm and those skulls are in fact, huge compared to hers, thank you for mentioning them

Venger: I'm on it! It did seem like her overall silhouette was too straight and imbalanced, especially the lower part of her body. I've found some reference to work with. Thanking you for taking your time. I'm finding it extremely helpful I drew this up after watching some Black Rock Shooter, could be something similar to that? Although it is a very common idea, I do enjoy the theme, haha.

DPFX: Yeah, I'm fixing up the lighting for the next post. I understand what you mean about the fabric, it's too straight and orderly for something that's meant to be tattered. I'll even out the refined/tattered elements to her costume to make it more balanced. And yes, it is very cliche, I guess I want to focus on refining something that's a little more safe for me. I'll get around to giving my creativity a jog. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright it's been a while but I've been working on this - added weight into her pose and tried fixing up the anatomy and evening out the ragged aspects of her clothes so that it's not as clean on her torso

...I still need to work on the lighting, been experiencing some constant wrist pain so it's been a little difficult work on things

Name:  Hel4.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  407.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks much better!

I'm not a master of anatomy, but it seems to me her breasts are facing the camera dead on, while her ribs and hips are at more of a 3/4 angle. Her arm holding the scythe is lacking intention; she has so much energy in the rest of her pose and then that arm is just sort of chillin. I would give it a more firm grip (that scythe looks like it would fall right out of her hand!) and a more dynamic angle to the arm. Her legs look really long for her body (could be the style you're going for) and the shading on them I think should be darker on the inside, to match the lighting on her belly.

This is a very interesting character design and I'm looking forward to see what you do with this piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regard to the chest section - I suggest sketching the center line of the torso again on a paintover layer, and perpendicular on it draw the line that indicates where the nipples should go (one head-length below the chin, usually). Not that this line will not be horizontal. Think of the torso like a set of rounded boxes; I think you did well in that regard with the hips.
    Right now the sternum seems pushed back rather significantly, making the chest look weird and tiny.

I'm sorry I cannot do a little paintover to demonstrate - no software for that on this computer.

I don't mind the stack of skulls really - if there's anything, I'd object to the huge scythe. I think I've seen that a lot more often. Even so, I think the composition needs it, and it's a better design than most, so there you go.

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice concept so far, but due to her thorns, I feel like she is more on the devil of hell side, rather than death.
    Death is quite unique, kinda neutral, no one escape him/her, evil or not.

<<<I R LUMINA R I>>>

How I eat pen everyday aka ma Sketchbook.

http://fxevo.blogspot.com/ The blog of city wanderer.
    Facebook: Duc. Truong Huyen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  update.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  117.2 KB
    Name:  update2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  122.9 KB

Mookskittles: These have been duly noted. I straightened out her arm and grasp on the scythe to match the rest of the energy in her pose and darkened the shading on her legs. Thank you for the critique! it's extremely helpful

Ahnem Mee: It's okay with the paintover, no need to apologize, I appreciate that you've taken the time to critique this I tried the outline method that you suggested to see where the nipples should be

fxEvo: I get what you mean and you're right, she's looking far too demonic, I changed the colour palette to suit that. Great description on death, thanks man!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.