Rugged Tablet PC for the road!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rugged Tablet PC for the road!

Hello!

First, let me just say, I am blown away by the high level of activity and information available in this forum. This is truly a godsend!

Second, can I also say I am just a bit overwhelmed with it all! Ahh! I hope you all understand!

For this reason, I am creating a thread to ask a pretty typical question with some very specific caveats. I have been reading all about the tablets you incredible artists use and now I have some questions of my own.

Here's the setup: My husband is an illustrator. We have the Intuos 4 Medium and an IMac at home and this is also his setup at his office. As of 2 years ago, he was still using traditional mediums and scanning in to his Sony Vaio for digital editing. I am a Mac gal all the way (growing up, my family did not own another brand of computer, so I have to admit I am pretty PC illiterate at times) and brought the beautiful 20" IMac display into the life of my darling artist husband. (We ditched the Vaio when we moved in together. It had a good life, but was dying.) He has really grown to love the Intuos 4/Mac combo and does not really see his career going back to the "dark ages", as he calls it, of pencil to paper... outside the occasional portrait commission.

We are planning a six-month trip to Asia in about a year and herein lies the real bulk of my questions. My husband is hoping that he will be able to continue to work while on the road. We're not going to be able to stick a desk top computer and USB tablet in our packs, so my husband is pretty forlorn about losing his setup! We definitely want to simulate the experience of using these tools as closely as possible in order that his quality of work does not suffer. So, I need some advice! Originally, we had thought of bringing a laptop and the Intuos with us, but have realized that will take up a lot of space in our packs. We've also got an iPad, but there are some serious lag issues (I am sure you are aware) and he does not like using it for more than just sketching. Also, the multi-touch interface kills it for him. It is really difficult for him NOT to lay his hand down on the screen while using the stylus. Not to mention, it has little to no internal storage and does not run Photoshop or Illustrator software. The iPad is really my personal tool/toy and was not really intended for his artwork, so we're not too broken up about this. Other considerations: I really think we'll benefit most in this situation with something that is "rugged" or "semi-rugged" (I am gathering that means water resistant and drop resistant to varying degrees), lightweight (relatively speaking), smallish (I am thinking 12"-13", but I don't know what is "too small" when it comes to this kind of thing) and hopefully USED. I would hate to have a brand new computer broken or stolen while we're tramping about Southeast Asia! And for that matter, would like to keep costs down to a minimum. My mindset is that something that costs me a few hundred dollars won't make me as sad if it breaks or is stolen in comparison to how sad I would be if a $2000 machine was broken or stolen. We would like to spend about $400, but we're willing to spend up to $1000. If it costs more, however, it costs more. Since I don't know so much about this type of tablet (being a complete Mac geek), I am really not knowledgeable about the cost. All things considered, we probably would not spend more than $1500 (and that would be a really tough sell).

One option we have considered is the Motion LE1700. There was a really great thread about it in this forum, which is what has us considering it! It looks amazing as far as pressure and sensitivity, but we'd really like to know all of our options before settling on something. Frankly, there is just not that much info out there (outside of this forum) regarding this artistic application of these rugged and semi rugged tablets. I was hoping that some of you who have been able to use them could share your experience. Is there a tablet PC that would work better than the LE1700 given our situation?

Wanderlust in Waiting,
    Mallory dlR

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I don't know about the Motion LE1700 but there are Fujitsu and HP that made convertibles and you can find them used for nothing now. I think they have the same size (approximatively) Honestly I don't know how far they can handle shock and other inconvenient...

I power process is not a problem (no super big files :p), you can think about the Asus Ep121 slate or the old (not the ativ !) samsung 7 slate... I suppose prices go down now for them, the two are really slim and easy to carry but you will have to take a bluetooth keyboard or type on screen.

Oh and sorry but none of these are water resistant, but you can find somewhere the Temperature & Humidity capacity in spec sheet I do not own any convertible, I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

Last edited by Griffonnage; January 16th, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
    * My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are some vendors that make Tablet PCs that are designed for Rugged Use. The Panasonic Toughbook line comes to mind.....shock proof, crush proof, water proof....kind of everything proof. Forget about it being affordable though....the "Rugged" options are mad expensive....anywhere from $2000-$5000.

For a 6 month trip.....a convertible tablet PC would be your best option since you can use it like a regular laptop. As opposed to a Slate Tablet PC....where you'll need a separate keyboard....mouse..dock...etc...a convertible will just work better.

There 2 base ones I would recommend for you.

The HP 2730p/2740p..... or...the Lenovo X200 Tablet.

The HPs are easier to find on ebay...the 2730p is Core2duo and the 2740p is 1st gen Core i5. Both can be found on Ebay used for $500 or less. Both would run Photoshop fine.

The Lenovo x200 Tablet....however...although its not officially a rugged tablet... its actually meets Military Standards.....At that time Lenovo outfitted their entire line with that in mind.

This link will explain it better then I could

http://www.lenovo.com/news/us/en/200...computing.html

the x200 Tablet is also Core2Duo...and also would run photoshop fine. There are more recent core i5 updates though...like the x220 Tablet...etc....but they would be more money. Auctions for "New" x200 Tablets still break a grand...but I have seen "used" auctions in the $500 range.

Members who have read this thread: 2