Art: having some trouble.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

having some trouble.

So, I've tried to make sculpture Armature and stand by my self. But what I haven't understood was how to make the sculpture to stand still after I remove the supporter behind his back?

How do I make an sculpture Armature and stand to be safe and sound?

Oh and it's about 18 inches tall, so..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm going to try to help you with the limited information I've got. It sounds like your need to build your armature a little stiffer. I like to use 3/8 inch threaded metal piping. This size pipe should be large enough for a figure 18 inches. After your sculpt is finished you'll usually just make your mold right around the pipe and clean up the hole afterword. There are many ways to construct your armature, this is just a simple way that I like to use. I'm going to try and attach a sample picture of mine. You can see the outside setup of the pipe, but the inside is simple as well. A simple wire armature (stick man) with a metal T-fitting around his waist area, this is where it attaches to the outside. I hope this helps you a little and doesn't confuse you more.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wvuthorne; January 16th, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks
    It's also helps but what I meant was- after I pull this thing behind him away- what connects the sculpture to stand? Mine doesn't sits like yours- so what I need to do?

Thanks
    I guess my question to you is what are you using as a sculpting material and what do you want your final product to be? Meaning are you going to make a mold or are you just going to bake sculpy? In the case above I'm using clay so I will have to create a mold if I want to have a finished cast of this piece. I will not ever remove the pipe support, because it is all connected as one piece for added armature strength. I will make my mold right around the supports. If you're using sculpy and you really have to start removing your supports you can do the same as above, olny using something smaller like a thich armature wire. Once your sculpt is finished you can just cut the wire out of the back and fix your hole before baking. Also if your figure will not stand on it's own after you remove your supports it may be a design flaw, you might need to sculpt in some supports camoflagued by your figures surroundings, ie. a piller or a piece of drapery.

Thanks
    I'm using "Super-sculpey" and I want my figure to stand on his own. but then again, after I'll remove it's supports- what will keep him to stand?

Thanks
    add a based.

Thanks
    Could you post a picture of your problem? It really sounds to me like your going to have to add a sculpted base and or a support object.

Thanks
    There's nothing to see, I'm trying to start all over again.
    I have a wooden base. Is it good?

Thanks
    Since you're using sculpy, my addvice to you is lose the wooden base and just sculpt your base with sculpy over foil, your wire armature going right into that base for support. If you're set on your wooden base method, sculpt your figure, bake it, then epoxy it back to your wooden base. If you go that route your going to have a weak point where they connect creating a greater chance that the figure will break right off your base.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wvuthorne View Post
    Since you're using sculpy, my addvice to you is lose the wooden base and just sculpt your base with sculpy over foil, your wire armature going right into that base for support. If you're set on your wooden base method, sculpt your figure, bake it, then epoxy it back to your wooden base. If you go that route your going to have a weak point where they connect creating a greater chance that the figure will break right off your base.
    Well, I tried something else and took the wooden base, stuck some long and very thick metal polers as legs along with the armature. it's not moving at all. is it good?

Thanks
    Just make the legs of your armature longer than you need then drill holes in the wooden base to push the wire into, that way it's stable enough while you're working but can still be removed from the base if you want to adjust the armature.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Just make the legs of your armature longer than you need then drill holes in the wooden base to push the wire into, that way it's stable enough while you're working but can still be removed from the base if you want to adjust the armature.
    Yeah, you know, once I did it with just wires and after a while when the body was almost complete- It just fell with the base. Or the body got tilted backwards.

Thanks
    If the thing collapsed from the weight of the clay you might just need a heavier gauge armature wire, although the extra support coming out the back like in the photo wvuthorne posted is still a good idea to keep it stable while you work.

Thanks
    I've done an 18 inch free standing sculpey figure before. It's doable but I think it's more trouble than it's worth and wish I had a pipe bracing it. You need steel wire in a moderately thick guage to support the legs. You can maybe snag some from those political signs that litter sides of highways or that people put on their lawns. That's how I got some. It's really tough to work with and bend, but once you do you know it'll stay how you want it to. The connection with the base is very important because getting that right will determine how stable your sculpt will be. I had it pretty good but still had to hold the sculpt with my hand as I worked on it, which would then mess up whatever I was holding and need to be reworked. So yeah overall I really don't recommend it but if you really want to, go for it. Maybe scale it down a bit, say 12-15 inches.

Members who have read this thread: 1