Struzan style poster - third attempted
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Struzan style poster - third attempted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Struzan style poster - third attempted

Hi folks, would like a little feedback please. A while ago I posted a couple of attempts at a Drew Struzan style poster (just a personal piece). Got some much appreciated critiques and learned a thing or two about what I was doing wrong. Anyway, this is my third attempt at something like this within the last 18 months, I used a couple of the images from my second attempt which I still think work ok, but most of it is from scratch. Feedback as to how this looks would be much appreciated.

Name:  batman_layout_final3.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  158.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anybody? Is this rough layout looking ok? Does it look balanced? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really good at composition but it globaly seems okay for me... Looking a little longer at it, I just feel Alfred is a little lost on the side... I would move him a little maybe or shade him more... I would fade a little Bane on the external side too, because he is the only other "full body" character and have quite the same size than Catwoman... I bet you want her to attract eyes more than him, that's why I would hide some part of him.
    What do you plan to put on the foreground ? I may be a pervert, but at a small image size the two round part make it look like female breast :p

I think it's a very good start, great face and lighting, I'm really waiting about the next step !

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

It's been over a year since I posted here in regards to this piece. It's not quite finished, it's getting their slowly but surely, yet I'd love to get some feedback to how this is looking. I feel like I need some second opinions as I'm still not sure if this is turning out ok.

Thank you!

Name:  batman_layout_new.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  297.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any feedback? Would really appreciate some fresh eyes. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay... no one is sayin anything so I thought I'd chip in. Firstly great job - very ambitious indeed! AND you have a decent likeness in a lot of the cast.

However!

I think with these kinds of things the likeness has to be spot on - if it's not 100% on all of them, then you tend to get judged by the ones which aren't quite right (unfair I know!) - so at the moment I'd rate the likeness as follows:

Batman 9/10
    Commissioner Gordon 8/10 not bad, some small inconsistencies
    Alfred? 2/10 not even sure it's him atm.
    Harvey Dent 4/10 - only guessed because half his face is destroyed
    Catwoman 7/10 - okay - get it's catwoman because of costume etc... but forehead and lower face misaligned.
    Joker 7/10 - his nose vs mouth is a little wonky
    Bane - 9/10 - quite small so hard to say but his outfit etc... tell us who so great
    Ras Al Gul 8/10 - is face is slightly too long some small inconsistencies but otherwise good
    Scarecrow - 9/10 - not much to say there

I'm not saying I'd do a better job - I'm just saying that as these kinds of posters go - if YOU don't do a better job you're falling a touch short of the mark. You're not far off - just a little TLC on them to push up the believability and you'll be smokin'

Secondly focus and overall comp.

I don't know about the rules to these things but at the moment I'm kinda looking at the explosion and the joker (because he's looking back at me! Which is okay but slightly odd as the joker isn't the biggest head in the room - he just carries the most contrast. Also I'm not sure what the explosion is meant to show?

From what I can see - looking at starwars posters (before critiquing this) - they don't appear to have more than 1 person looking at us. And usually it appears it's the biggest portrait that is looking at us. I'm guessing this is because that person is the main point of focus for the piece.

Imagine what you've painted is a crowd. It helps us decide what to look at when we see one gaze returned at us - with the other fellas kinda looking elsewhere.

In terms of lighting - I like the lighting of the people around the explosion - ver cool - but batman doesn't seem to be following that - he seems to be lit from the side by another explosion? I would light him either the same way as the others or stick in another light source to explain what's happening.

This is a tough challenge and it helps to have some kind of narrative to the piece - i.e. all the bad guys on once side - all the good guys on the other - batman in between bigger than the rest looking at us - bad guys looking left good guys looking right etc... nice and simple. At the moment we have a mixed sense of focus - you seem to have a flow going diagonally from bottom left to top right- you could push that and re-arrange so that batman is on the top right - this would also solve your lighting issue perhaps? You've gone so far with this that it's hard to think about re-arranging things so it's really up to you. The easiest quickest solution would be to alter who's looking at you and fix the contrast lighting so that batman is the focus?

Otherwise as I said - great job on a massive challenge!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lovingit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi thanks for the feedback, yes it's a very ambitious project I've undertaken, probably the most complicated thing I've done actually. I think you're right about Batman not being as big a focus as he should be, I'm going to see about fixing the lighting up on him in order to get him standing out more. The Joker has been bugging me to and I think it's because his white face stands out a lot more, I might tone him down bit. As for the explosion it's suppose to show the Batmobile being launched into the air, I just haven't started detailing the vehicle yet. At the moment I've put too much work into the poster to be moving characters around, so I'm just going to have to make do with what I've done I think. If any one has any other suggestions please feel free post. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 35