Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fire Mage WIP

Thanks
    Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragg View Post
    vineris- you are correct about the face, but wrong about the body. Here is the full reference I used--obviously the body proportions and balance are correct, unless the female in the reference is deformed or something...lol

Lulie- same answer about the body^^^^

Thanks guys!!
    The reference is okay. Unfortunately you didn't quite follow it. I scaled the two images so that the shoulder size and position matched and then traced the outline. The reference is purple, your picture is green. As you can see, in the reference the hips and legs are pretty much directly below the body and the hips are tilted opposite to the shoulders. So the photo is balanced. In your pic, you shifted the lower body to the side and the hips are tilted with the shoulders. It's a subtle difference, but it's enough to make her look like she's falling backwards.

This is why you use construction to place and balance the pose. The photo is not always going to look right, and even when it does there is no guarantee that you're not fucking up anyway.

Name:  fire.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  34.7 KB

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Apart from the anatomy problems (not sure if your ref is helping)
    To me your major problem here is lighting.
    You have no primary, everything is competing.
    If you make one of the lights take dominance it will really help you describe the forms much better.
    Even the 'magma' arms and legs wont really make to much difference to the lighting.
    Hope this helps

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Venger; January 17th, 2013 at 06:59 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Giacomo said - the point is to take pieces of references, and manipulate them so you can make the image you want to make.

We all want to be pro's here - that's why we join CA.org as opposed to deviant art.

Plus, you have a lot going on in that gallery. The one of you that's all blue, vs the barb with the seriously screwed up anatomy.. That's a HUGE jump...

Seriously, it's confusing.

Last edited by hitnrun; January 21st, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
    Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hitnrun- ..............seriously? I think I'll stick to advice from more experienced artists. Go doodle in your sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Gragg, really? It's true that more experienced artists know more about the areas they talk about, but it's important to respect the opinions and the advice from anyone, regardless of whether they are experienced or not, and really, regardless of whether you agree completely with their advice.

A different set of eyes, no matter what set of eyes will help your work.

I think the thing you need to work on the most is your attitude when approaching art. I don't think anything anyone has said so far in both threads will get through to you if you don't open up to other people's opinions and get off your high horse.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toriknew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hitnrun View Post

We all want to be pro's here - that's why we join CA.org as opposed to deviant art.

Plus, you have a lot going on in that gallery. The one of you that's all blue, vs the barb with the seriously screwed up anatomy.. That's a HUGE jump...

Seriously, it's confusing.

Ok....there is a difference between a good critique and being an ass. Who goes through someones gallery and just randomly starts picking out what they think are bad pieces? Come on that is goin a little far. And confusing? Is it really confusing to see a bunch of different art in a beggining artists gallery? Isn't that exactly whats supossed to be there? It's called practice.

And it is just retarded to try to say there isn't an abundance of professional artists on deviant art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well....

Hey man, calm down, at first, he tried to say you that devian art is not firstly driven to comments and crits about your work, as opposing this session of CA.

Second, when you show your work for someone else, you can receive good or bad crits, thus, open your mind and be prepared for all of that.

Third, not just experienced professionals can give you good crits, the beginners also. Pesonally, I know a lot of experienced professionals that produces bad work, as well some beginners producing good works. What you must do, is to select the ones that can help you. Sometimes, the ones that are not pleasing to you are the good ones.

For last, if you don't understand the crits, ask the reviewer to clarify it, instead starting an argument or being rude with them. When I see the reviewers are rude with me, I simply ignore them, instead wasting my time answering them.

Some people tried to help you, consider that they lost some time doing it and work on it, showing some progress. In my opinion, you have not did it in your posts.

Best regards

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pauloricardo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.