Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fire Mage WIP

Thanks

Fire Mage WIP

Already spent about 5 hours on this, still have to clean it up and add color. Just wanted some opinions on how its coming together so far....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the values are pretty good, but i feel like this has a total lack of hard edges.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JOvictory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks! I'll have to add some more hard edges when I clean it up! Notice anything else?

Thanks
    Look at the hands, would you hold strings with such width like that? Either make the strings thicker or put some grip-thing (don't know the word right now) on it or consider drawing a different hands pose. If you want put something with around that width in your hand and 'feel' what the most comfortable position it would have in your hands.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to roozard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, I think I'll make some thicker handles on the whips, good eye!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,548 Posts
    The form has numerous inconsistencies. Have you made a structural breakdown of the figure? Have you picked a clear direction for the light? Where is the falling shadow?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    arenhaus- The main light is going to come from the bottom, and since I havent pushed that yet I cant realy place my shadows. Im assuming you see issues with prospective and anatomy since you ask if I've broke down the structure of the figure, may I ask you to tell me what exactly you notice wrong so I can try to fix it? I have broken down the figure as best as my ability. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thumbnails, man! You could have sorted out the lighting, forms and composition etc before going into the rendering.

What reference did you use for this?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragg View Post
    ...may I ask you to tell me what exactly you notice wrong so I can try to fix it? I have broken down the figure as best as my ability. Thanks!

As so often happens, the issue here isn't that anything's "wrong" and needs to be "fixed"--it's that you did the entire thing out of your head--and as a result, the pose, anatomy, hair and lighting are all about 20% off. There's no easy solution, except to say "use reference photos next time."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,548 Posts
    arenhaus- The main light is going to come from the bottom, and since I havent pushed that yet I cant realy place my shadows. Im assuming you see issues with prospective and anatomy since you ask if I've broke down the structure of the figure, may I ask you to tell me what exactly you notice wrong so I can try to fix it? I have broken down the figure as best as my ability. Thanks!
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    it's that you did the entire thing out of your head--and as a result, the pose, anatomy, hair and lighting are all about 20% off.
    You need to work more - a lot more - on the structure and lighting before you paint. You've already painted a lot of detail in - and now you are saying you haven't gotten around to place the shadows; but you should have worked out the lighting BEFORE you began painting.

As it is, you have a mess of various made-up lighting in this picture, some parts lit diffusely, some from below, some from above, some from the front, and if you add a shadow it'll only confuse things more. That is on top of very wobbly, contrived structure. It's not really going to work unless you start over and pay more attention to structure, anatomy, perspective and lighting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    int he very short term, maybe do as people with dodgy figures do and cover them with clothes and shit. wont solve any deep problems (i dont know anatomy either and Giacomo is right everythings a bit off i think, specially in the neck and tits and head) but see wht you think..
    Fire Mage WIP
    Name:  dfdfddfd.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  64.9 KB

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 17th, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for all of the replies! Yes I know I'm supposed to use reference for everything, but I dont, lol. I learn a lot more the hard way. Its way to easy to make an awesome painting using reference, when I'm done with this I'll be able to say its completely out of my head, and I think its damn good for someone on my skill level. Here where I'm at so far!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Its way to easy to make an awesome painting using reference, when I'm done with this I'll be able to say its completely out of my head, and I think its damn good for someone on my skill level.
    Um...I've just been checking out your DeviantArt page in reference to the above-quoted remark. Are those slavish pencil copies of the Megan Fox and Arnold Schwarzenegger photos supposed to be "awesome paintings?" Please advise so the rest of us can know how to proceed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.