Art: My first ever model
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My first ever model

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first ever model

One of my new years resolutions is to be more creative so last night I made my first model in Maya 4. Its a low poly effort.

No, they're not supposed to be bunny ears, its hair (honest).

Now I just need to figure out how to do the uv map for it so I can texture it. In the past I have had to make to with skinning other peoples models. The last skin I did was for a UT2003 which you can see here if your interested.

Any words of wisdom regarding my work would be greatly appreciated. If you know of any tutorials that you think would help me shout up!

Happy New Year to you all

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite ok for a first lowpoly modeling attempt.

Some tips and thoughts though;

-If you're aiming to get her ingame, you'll need to triple the polygons, all the game engines out there handle 3 point polygons only.
    -You might want to put some more geometry in to the knees and arms to prevent them from deforming too badly when animated.
    -Some proportions are a bit off, most notably the arms are a bit too short

Also check out Polycount (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount) and it's messageboards for everything lowpoly related, if you haven't already.

Just a figment of my imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have to agree 100% about using polycount as a place to throw around ideas. the people there are extremely helpful and will be very blunt about any changes you can make. at first it seems a tad bit harsh, but you will learn to respect it because it will only make you better.

for a first model, it's pretty good. the proportions are off, however. as a rule of thumb, when the arms are hanging down the side of the body, the hands should be at about mid-thigh. more polys around the elbows and knees will help with the deformation, as Fabool mentioned. put a little more detail in the ankles ... they seem too fat. and lastly, the head is too round, unless of course that is the look you're going for.

keep cranking away ...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.