Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 637 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #251 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shoulder Anatomy Study"

Spartan Camp #251 - 50 gestures + Optional "Shoulder Anatomy Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 20nd of January.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Shoulder Anatomy Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

Background
    We have not had a proper anatomy exercise lately. Let's make it a tough one this time; the shoulder area. Time for some heavy lifting!

The exercise
    How does one perform a shoulder anatomy study? In advance, try to look up some information on shoulder musculature and find some reference images. You then study the shoulder by drawing it, trying to understand it as you go.
    The shoulder area controls movement between the upper arm and the torso. You might want to find out where some of the biggest muscles sit (You could add names for some of them) and figure out their basic function first. The shoulder area is complicated, especially due to numerous muscles interacting with the shoulder blade (scapula) and collarbone (clavicle). You can start off simple though. Take it as far as you want. Your main goal will be to try and learn something new about the shoulder area!

For reference, you can use some of the resources below. A simple internet search will yield plenty of images. You could also use a gesture drawing tool and limit yourself to only drawing some of the shoulders. Just some thoughts!

Reference

Link: You can get "Figure drawing for all it's worth" by Loomis here. Great resource on figure drawing and anatomy in general. This is a 'must have' regardless of the Spartan Camp. Covers the shoulder as well, naturally.
    Link : Wikipedia is kind of in-depth, but its not so bad to do some exploring here.
    Link: Images, names
    Link: Arm and shoulder area by Leonardo da Vinci!
    Link: Several shoulder study images
    Link: One of a series of videos showing shoulder movement. Interesting if you're looking for images of the shoulder in many positions. Alternatively, you could use your own body and a mirror.

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #250

e-nat - Looking good! I like the specialized leg studies. I find the ankle area particularly tough, I'd say you're doing pretty good there. Also, I think CA is safe. Perhaps it's the waves of spammers that sometimes flood the place?

e-nat
    Klaustrophil
    Animare
    Eskeleto
    Olooriel
    Hamorhage
    AdrienneRose
    Staal Sander
    Functioncurve

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol I've never actually looked at Loomis's books, although had one downloaded for a while. I always just thought they'd be similar to Bridgemans since they are usually recommended at the same time. This 'Figure drawing for all it's worth' book is amazing! Will be using it a lot more now.
    Spent the morning drawing the shoulder studies from this book.

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Animare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome optional study this week and great start Animare, your studies are very inspiring and detailed!
    @ Anthis, thank you good sir.

As I have used and abused that poor brush (Thanks for the critique, Hamorhage!), I decided to reacquaint myself with markers (next step will a hardedged brush).

30 sec
    Name:  30 seconds.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  492.1 KB

5mins
    Name:  5 minute gestures.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  304.1 KB

not timed but less than 5 mins (last one is a botched Marilyn Monroe)
    Name:  Fashion magazine stuff_not timed.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  424.2 KB

imagination portraits
    Name:  Imagination portraits_not timed.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  223.1 KB

done last week, 2.5 hours
    Name:  red small.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  197.2 KB

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow guys! Seriously amazing start!
    Animare: These are great studies, so great they could come right out of a book!
    e-nat: Let me bow down to you. You are exploding here! Your gestures have soo much character here, and all great proportions!
    And thank the lord...no blurry digital brush But wow, seriously, you are rocking those markers!
    And then the icing on the cake..a brilliant study. The colors looks natural, great work!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Really good start guys! I am really jealous of the full figures that you are putting up here e-nat. I believe I am getting a bit better at getting more of the figure within space. To try to achieve this I might have to start drawing smaller or go on a bigger initial image size.

Most of these are at 4 minutes, and that is one of the key factors in getting more of the figure. I have more time to study and to think about the form and the volume of the figure instead of just the outline. Some of the proportions are a bit off but I think its time to do a detailed figure study and maybe start a sketch book here.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eskeleto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked on some shoulder stuff, from one of the links you supplied.

Name:  Shoulder.png
Views: 601
Size:  64.1 KB

I am having an issue with my PSE8, and I posted it up, but haven't gotten a response, so maybe one of you guys will have a clue:

"So I am fairly new to PSE8 (photoshop elements 8), and this is what I have been using to draw on. Anyway... This issue started coming about to where a layer is in complete grey tons.

I make the background layer a nice grey. Then make a second layer to sketch upon. The issue starts when I make a third layer and place it in between the first and second layers. This is what I do to put some color down under the sketch. However sometimes when I pick a color it comes out in the grey tone that color would be...

Does anyone know how to fix this? I am not sure what is going on at all, but it doesn't happen all the time...

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!"

-AdrienneRose-

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are 2 options that come to my mind AdrienneRose.
    I think you might be either working in greyscale or on a channel.

I have 2 possible solutions to.
    #1: go to image -> mode -> and select RGB, or CMYK or any other color modus you like to use. But RGB is pretty much standard for web, while CMYK is for full color printing.

#2 You might be working on a channel. Go to Window -> Channels and select the RGB (If you work in RGB Mode that is) The other ones will look black and white.

#3 It might be something completely different.

Edit:
    Here are my figures so far.
    Some until I got bored with them, some 1 minute ones and some 2 minute ones.
    All from photo.

Last edited by Staal Sander; January 16th, 2013 at 09:22 AM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Staal Sander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope you do not mind me joining the fun, I'll post the rest of the figures later [=
    Name:  gesture1.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  gesture2.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  gesture3.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  shoulder.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  49.9 KB

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    V3T, love the linequality in your studies (the last page)
    Staal: I think you have a lot to learn (anatomy wise) but I love the energy from your sketchbook, it almost makes me want to draw when I see them!
    Eskeleto: I think its a good idea to spend more time on your drawings to get you more comfortable and confident. Once you have a flow in place, you can try to speed up that flow.

Went life drawing yesterday and had a really bad session. I was trying some new approaches but couldn't get anything to work for me. I'll keep experimenting though, I got a bit tired of following a routine in the way I draw. And when experimenting you need to be aware that the quality will get worse first Most of the drawings below were 1 minute, some 5 mins. The last drawing is a inkwash on paper, and made it look like it was done on brown paper afterwards in photoshop.

Name:  comp_small.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  126.1 KBName:  session2_o.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  194.7 KB

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Hamorhage, hehe, Thank you That's why I love this place, all the critiques are spot on and quite practical.
    btw, I think your experiments are interesting. Different technical approaches, maybe you had different goals in mind...but the uploaded result is very inspiring. I'm always jealous of your dynamic gestures and anatomy (the short poses, as well as the long ones)

@ Eskeleto, good job so far! I think it is better to create a big canvas and then resize the drawings when you're done instead of drawing small. That way you'll have more chance to notice mistakes or whatnot. Also I notice that you're using the action line in some of the poses, that's excellent... Concentrate on the action instead of the contour (a bitter lesson I'm currently learning). A CA Sketchbook sounds like a wonderful idea!

@AdrienneRose, sorry I don't know a lot about photoshop Elements. Maybe the others have an idea.
    I really like your studies, especially the bone structure, though some areas are not clear, maybe it's the PSE layer system?

@ Staal Sander, I like that you're combining both clothed and nude gestures, I would suggest maybe starting with the gesture, form and then drapery? It would give the figures better balance and structure. (for example #16 and 25 are dynamic while # 9 is a bit stiff). You're doing good all in all, keep it up!

@ V3T, welcome Awesomeness, I love the optional study and the gestures. Did you squish the canvas by any chance? some of the gestures on the left side look a bit squished.

Some stiff poses (5-8 minutes) done yesterday

Name:  gestureds 5 mins copy.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  178.6 KB

Hopefully less stiff poses after sketchbook critique...2 minutes, but they're much more difficult than the 5 minutes. My goal is to concentrate on action flow, (Vilppu- function then form), there is some contour drawing (by instinct), gotta work on avoiding it.

Name:  2 mins small.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  439.7 KB

Imagination
    Name:  painting 2 small.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  72.7 KB

Will upload optional study later.

Last edited by - nat -; January 16th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, you guys are fast this week! Got mine finished, uploading tomorrow.

AdrienneRose - Check if you're not working in greyscale (under Image->mode). That's the first thing I can think of.
    V3T - Welcome! Looking good, pretty solid gestures. Remember to check whether the weight is distributed evenly in the standing poses. In some of them, the figure seems to be leaning on one leg, in which case you would see a tilted pelvis. Nice shoulder study too, accurat

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm focussing on gestures again..I normally don't refer to my blog but I wrote some thoughts that might be of interest in people who want to loosen up their work as well: http://dailysketchbookchallenge.blog...cs-30-sec.html

Here are the sketches anyway, all 30 second drawings from posemaniacs..dare I attempt 15 seconds next? Haha, I think I will!

Name:  gesture2.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  143.3 KBName:  gestures3.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  219.6 KBName:  gestures4.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  123.2 KBName:  gestures5.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  228.7 KB

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hoping one of you guys could help me with a question on gestures. Are they more about the action, rather than how the figure looks? I have noticed Sargent has very scribbly gestures but they tell the action. Also, thanks for the critique, I am certainly gonna work on them =]

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Animare!! Those are great drawings of the shoulder!

@Staal: you were totally right! That seemed to fix the problem right up! Thank you for your help!
    I love your gestures too. I really feel the movement!

I am glad you're joining in @V3T! Your shoulder studies are awesome!!
    Also, I wanted to add, since you asked about gestures. I had to refresh myself about gestures recently, and quick ones can be scribbles! But they can be whatever really, but they're just supposed to reflect the motion at the very least. But I think the scribble ones reflect a shorter time, 30 seconds or less, cause one can really get a lot down in one minute with practice!

@e-nat: I think I got the problem figured out thanks to Staal. I haven't really played with it too terribly much, but haven't come across the issue again quite yet. -- I think that they're unclear because I may have made it a little too small in pixels, and because I did some scribbling. lol.

@Hamorhage: I love your 30 sec gestures, and am excited to take a good look at your blog! I definitely need to follow some more arty blogs!
    I can't believe you can get down so much information in 30 seconds! I am super impressed. I really like the silhouette ones! Also, I think it's great that you tried some new approaches to your gestures! I think I need to try a new way as well, could you explain what you've tried?

Here are some of my gestures
    Name:  IMG_4912.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  188.6 KBName:  IMG_4911.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  168.9 KBName:  IMG_4918.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  217.5 KB
    For the above ones, I was using the posemaniacs app on my iPhone. Not sure how I feel about it. I don't like that it's not real people. But it seems okay.

Name:  12jan 5min 1-6 resized.png
Views: 502
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  17jan 30sec.png
Views: 533
Size:  1.32 MB
    Name:  7jan 5min resized.png
Views: 497
Size:  221.7 KB

All the above gestures are done with LoveCastle (the drawing script).
    5 minutes is a really nice time. Today (above), I tried to make "determined meaningful/purposeful lines". Less scribbling. More... meaning. I think it turned out pretty well!

I did this one in the waiting room at the doctor's office. From memory. I see now that her leg proportions are pretty off. lol
    Name:  IMG_4926.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  101.8 KB

42 completed, just a few more to go!

-AdrienneRose-

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    V3t - The definition can be a bit vague. I believe that in general, a gesture is about the movement and essence of a pose. The basic form and its most important information. Action, balance and emotion rather than details. Gesture drawings tend to be relatively quick, but are not necessarily warmup exercises. You should check THIS thread in which gestures are discussed. Check Mentler's response in particular.

So, mine are not technically gestures ;/
    Did do a lot of shoulder stuff though. Mixture of Loomis, Hampton, Fripp and the shoulder examination video.

Name:  251_1.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  320.7 KBName:  251_2.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  127.0 KBName:  251_3.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  166.4 KBName:  251_4.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  144.3 KBName:  251_5.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  192.8 KBName:  251_6.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  210.7 KB

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tonights' life drawing + some shoulder studies

Name:  3_nutshell.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  342.3 KB

Last edited by Hamorhage; January 19th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for replying to the question guys =]. Anthis, your figures look great, loving your work.
    I thought I would just post the other 25 gestures, they are a mixture of timed gestures.
    Name:  agest.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  52.1 KBName:  anothergest.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  44.0 KB
    Name:  figga.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  63.1 KBName:  gest.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  68.2 KB

Sketchbook

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 sec
    Name:  gestures 30 sec copy.jpg
Views: 3702
Size:  320.3 KB

Not timed. theme= Sword fighting stances.
    Name:  martial arts swordsmen poses copy.jpg
Views: 6877
Size:  189.4 KB

From imagination.
    Name:  Poses from imagination.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  361.1 KB

Loomis and Vilppu
    Name:  shoulders copy.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  213.0 KB

Last edited by - nat -; January 18th, 2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added optional study

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to - nat - For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Anthis: Your shoulder studies look so awesome. I guess I may have to do some studying on how to study for drawing. haha. I haven't got so far in my Loomis book yet, and I feel like I would be cheating if I flipped to the shoulder part... but I like what you've got here!

@V3T: Hmm, it looks like you've got an awful lot of straight lines in your drawings, they look good, but try to get more curved lines, and less straight ones. Might feel a little more "gesture-y".

@e-nat: I can't believe you can come up with so many poses from your imagination. I really suck at that. I feel all, put on the spot and my mind freezes when I try to come up with a pose on my own. A lot of the time, if I am trying to come up with a pose, you can see me in my living room... standing in all these funny poses. haha.

Today's work.

Name:  18Jan Shoulder 900.png
Views: 456
Size:  257.3 KB

Shoulder studies from HERE.

Name:  30 sec female 900.png
Views: 428
Size:  146.1 KB

30 second gesture warm up.

Name:  5 min female 900.png
Views: 485
Size:  163.2 KB

5 minute gestures.

Reference for 30sec and 5min drawings Here.

-AdrienneRose-

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back!

My look like crap.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had a rough couple of days which included Photoshop crashing twice and not being able to save anything which didn't help me get out of my rut

Got back on the horse today though and started off with some several done at 45 seconds. Then slowly transitioned to longer poses which then lead to some of the optional studies.

Oh and a big thank you to AdrienneRose for that link on shoulders! It is an absolutely amazing resource

@V3T: I really enjoy how you are able to capture the form with such confident and dark strokes. You have some really solid looking ones going there.

@e-nat: Those multiple lines you put down to add volume to your gestures are great. It shows that you are thinking about the entire 3d form and volume, and not just the contours.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Eskeleto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double Post !

Last edited by Eskeleto; January 19th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Triple Post!

Last edited by Eskeleto; January 19th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    I'm back!

My look like crap.
    They're not too bad, I would just take your time on them, they look rushed. But decent otherwise!
    ----

One more shoulder study from here. Pretty much exhausted that resource. I may draw a couple more later today.

Should I write the names of the items as well? Hmmmm. Maybe I am "studying" wrong? Who knows. LOL.

Name:  19Jan Shoulder 900.png
Views: 414
Size:  473.2 KB

-AdrienneRose-

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hamorhage! Your shoulder stuff looks amazing!! What resource are you using, if you don't mind sharing? They look awesome!!

-AdrienneRose-

49. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Adrienne! Thanks! I was using a book I bought over christmas (it's a huge MASSIVE book which was on sale for 7 euro - couldn't believe it). It's called "Anatomy Drawing School"
    http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Drawin.../dp/084160164X

It has amazing drawings and I like that it shows images on how bones move as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamorhage View Post
    Hi Adrienne! Thanks! I was using a book I bought over christmas (it's a huge MASSIVE book which was on sale for 7 euro - couldn't believe it). It's called "Anatomy Drawing School"
    http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Drawin.../dp/084160164X

It has amazing drawings and I like that it shows images on how bones move as well.

I can't believe you found that book for 7euro!! It's like... over 50USD on amazon!!

Where on earth did you find it for 7euro?! If you find another one... you should send it to me! hahaha.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gestures drawing...

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shoulder studies before the day is out.
    Hamorhage, your studies are really slick o_O
    Name:  shoulder.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  88.7 KB

Sketchbook

55. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V3T For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.