Thread: westerns

Thanks

westerns

im a huge fan of westerns and i was wondering if people knew of any other good modern western flicks, classics are cool too. i come from texas, so watching these movies reminds me of the south, and the beautiful open landscapes.

some of my most recent favs:

cold mountain--great range of characters and situations. used alot of the ILIAD in its structure

the missing--i thought the pacing and story were pretty damn good

open range- cool little flick, and the gunfight at the end is great. robert duvall is fun

all the pretty horses--fun flick, love the music

deadman--again GREAT soundtrack. very mystical/spiritual journey.

unforgiven, dances with wolves, legends of the fall, a river runs through it, last of the mohicans, etcetc

OH..and RED DEAD REVOLVER was a fun game too

im also looking forward to the BLUEBERRY western based on the french comic book, (mobius did covers). its supposed to be very surrealistic/phsychedelic (peyote induced?) Ive never read the comic though.

ty

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I suggest you rent a whole bunch of Sergio leone movies. He was easily one of the best dirrector of westerns ever. His films are incredable despite the fact that all of the original dialogue is Italian. Check this out. http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/
    That site has a complete filmography. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. Personally, I especially recomend "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly."

Thanks
    once upon the time in the west.
    the good the bad and the ugly.

after having seen these two, you can die a happy man

Thanks
    to be more precise,

the final duel between bronson and henri fonda, (once upon a time ...)
    and the scene with tuco running among the graves with morricone's "ecstasy of gold" running in the background, (the good ...)
    are my two favorite movie sequences no matter the movie style.

i watch these approx once a year. it keeps you motivated when seeing so much genius into only two scenes.

sparth

Thanks
    coolness...yea ive seen alot of sergio leones films, but i dont think ive seen "once upon a time" ill check it out

any other more recent films that have gone under the radar?

have you guys seen the older westerns directed by John Ford?

ty

Thanks
    I'm slowly getting more into westerns...largely in part due to that being my dad's favourite genre.
    I thought the Missing was great...really great.

and I kinda liked Lone Ranger 2003. Just a fun story.

They've also been playing old Eastwood films on tv like crazy too....hasn't been one that I didn't like so far.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    I think if I had a gun to my head and I was forced to pick an all time favorite movie, it would have to be Once Upon a Time in the West.

Harmonica: I saw three of these dusters a short time ago; they were waiting for a train. Inside the dusters... there were three men.
    Cheyenne: So?
    Harmonica: Inside the men... there were three bullets.

RIP Charles Bronson

Also Henry Fonda... as the bad guy!

Definitely my favorite Sergio Leone movie.

I hear a lot of good things about The Outlaw Josey Wales, I haven't seen it yet but I really want too.
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Yeah The Outlaw Josey Wales is a great western. Clint said it was his reaction to the Vietnam War. My wife studied Westerns as part of her History degree, and has become a bit of an armchair expert on the subject. She recomended the movie to me, and I'm glad she did. I'd rate it as my favourite, alongside Unforgiven. There's an air of revisionist authenticity about them.

Thanks
    "Pale rider" was decent. Also check out "Hang'em High". Just more Clint Eastwood but I'll be damned if his isn't the best western actor of all time.

As for more modern westerns, check out "Gunfighter's Moon." It stars Lance Henrikson (aliens, The TV show Millenium etc.). It got bad reviews but I thought it was pretty good. Also, "The Quick and the Dead" was a pretty fun gunfighting movie. It had Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Leonardo Decaprio and Russel Crowe.

Thanks
    I donno if I'd call Cold Mountain a western... but it's runnin' on my TV right now, and damn... that scene of the 'Turkey Shoot' is pretty damn sobering!

My father studies the civil war, and he used to tell me about the 'turkey shoots' when I was a kid... I never thought I'd see one on the silver screen.
    (still got mixed opinions on the movie, waitin' to see how it turns out)

this is a great thread, I gotta hit the rental store tonight

So far 'Ghettysberg' and 'Gods and Generals' are the best depictions I've seen of the Civil War... as far as accuracy, it doesn't get much closer.
    But I'm still waiting for a Civil War flick that shows 7-8 year olds fighting since many were drafted.

Thanks
    Yea, sergio leone is the greatest.. the good, the bad, and the ugly is easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

Thanks
    oh man
    i LOVE westerns
    me and my roomate have a running feud on whos westerns are better: eastwood or the duke.. im a big eastwood fan, and hes a duke fan. dont get me wrong, the duke made some great movies, but eastwoods are the best!

id recomend any of his westerns. my favs are the man with no name trilogy
    (fist full of dollars, for a few dollars more, the good, the bad, and the ugly)
    but outlaw josey wales is one of his absolute best. and as others have said, hang em high, pale rider, unforgiven all all exellent.

also, a good western is "the sacketts" its based on the Louis L'Amour books about a long line of explorers, cowboys, and frontier men and women. its got sam elliot (one of THE best screen cowboys of all time OMHO) and tom selleck (sp) in it, its quite long (about 4 hours,it condenses about 4 books) buts its damn good. Louis L'Amour wrote the best westerns, bar none. if you like western fiction, and havent read any of his stuff..you should. they made a few other movies from his books as well. http://www.louislamour.com/movies/index.html theres a bunch!

some other fun westerns (if you dont want to watch a serious movie) are of course young guns 1&2 and blazing saddles lol

tombstone is also a good one, very hollywood, but its got a great cast.

you also cant go wrong with great classics like "the magnificent seven", true grit, rooster cogburn....theres a ton
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Whats that one where Clint Eastwood paints the town red, and theres like a sign that syays "Welcome to hell" or something? then he shoots everyone. yeah, that one was cool. </western noob>
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    I also vote for "Once Upon A Time in the West". Awesome soundtrack also.

I also like "The Wild Bunch". Had the dude from Airwolf in it.

I heard that John Ford's "The Searchers" is a good one but I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks
    Speaking of westerns has anyone seen Deadwood...

that series was bad fuckin ass...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skank
    some other fun westerns (if you dont want to watch a serious movie) are of course young guns 1&2
    I almost forgot about those. I thought they were pretty good. Probably not the most accurate account of Billy the Kid's life but it's an entertaining one.

Thanks
    just saw "once upon a time in the west" very cool flick. wasnt the type of movie i expected...i was pleasantly surprised

im gonna check out that "sacketts" movie skank

ty

Thanks
    haha i know people are gonna kill me for sayin this but

"lonesome dove"

not super crazy action but long and sad haha

haha well yea, pummel me if u wish

but i can still keep my masculinity even if i say this

Thanks
    this may have already been mentioned, but:

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

is a classic.

and of course

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Ty, I've recently been checking out the films by German director "Werner Herzog":

Nosferatu the Vampyre

Aguirre the Wrath of God

Cobra Verde

and

Fitzgeraldo

A few of those are kind of like westerns in South America during early colonialism- different and very interesting.

Thanks
    injection--nah man, lonesome dove is a really good series. robert duvall+ tommy lee jones + western setting= fun
    i always wondered how they did the scene where the moccasin strikes that guys cheak....movie magic

benz--cool man--thanks for the tip--ill check his stuff out

ty

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tyboogie
    injection--nah man, lonesome dove is a really good series. robert duvall+ tommy lee jones + western setting= fun
    i always wondered how they did the scene where the moccasin strikes that guys cheak....movie magic

benz--cool man--thanks for the tip--ill check his stuff out

ty

yeah, that scene with the water mocassins huanted me.

haha- i just saw The Girl Next Store

SEE That!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nil
    Whats that one where Clint Eastwood paints the town red, and theres like a sign that syays "Welcome to hell" or something? then he shoots everyone. yeah, that one was cool. </western noob>

High Plains Drifter, the second, I think, in the Man With No Name trilogy. OR something. Anyways, that's the movie.

(yeah, i just watched it again. He has the townspeople paint the town red, and renames the town "hell.")
    Last edited by .cfb; August 27th, 2004 at 04:01 AM.
    ~.cfb, proud member of the Middle Class.

Thanks
    omg HUGE western fan

high plains drifter came later. the trilogy is fistful of dollars, few dollars more, and Good Bad and Ugly. Fistful of Dollars is great. i loved hearing the theme music used in Kill Bill 2.

Open Range is a good recent one. Deadwood on TV is great. westerns should make a comeback.

coolest movie poster ever.

westerns

Thanks
    Cold Mt & Legends of the Fall so depressing to me

Might check out Shootist and How the west was won and the Big Muddy was a classic.

Thanks
    You guys have already said all of these, but here are my favorites:

Good, bad, ugly
    For a few dollars more
    wild bunch
    mag. seven
    fistful of dollars
    butch and sundance (redford and newman)
    ox bow incident
    high noon
    who shot liberty valance
    treasure of the sierra madre
    open range

and for you gamers; you should play "gun", its fun as hell and has a great story, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.