Sketchbook: Spirit's Sketchbook - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The spiritual creative magic keeps on rising in here in a traditional way.
    You keep up with your art diary and with your beautiful work.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 21st June 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPlissken View Post

The spiritual creative magic keeps on rising in here in a traditional way.
    You keep up with your art diary and with your beautiful work.
    Thank you your comments always make me feel happy, and help me know that I'm following the right path - my own. I'll definitely continue, I don't want anything to stop me!

Well I was hoping I would have been sent the proper photographs from my group exhibition by now, but alas I haven't had them yet. I took some photographs on my own camera, but it is about 6 years old but works very well for a compact camera of its age I think! Hopefully the photographs taken on the DSLR will arrive soon, but I don't want to wait too long to update this thread, so here are images I took of my work, along with the artist statement I wrote. I could've written a better statement, but it got my ideas across well as everybody understood my work - it's a great feeling.

My idea for this work, and how I'll work in the future was to face my own self doubts about my art, the inner critic that always tells me what I;m doing is wrong, or isn't good enough. I tried to work with the self doubt, giving it a form in the real world to get it out of my head. It was hard to begin with, I felt like I wanted to cry several times because the doubt had taken over - "what I'm creating is rubbish! This isn't art!". It's interesting how I felt during creating these little sculptures, maybe next time I'll write down the internal thoughts alongside it, it's like a battle against myself sometimes. It was quite meditative as well, once I began to accept the doubt as part of creating these sculptures, and all of my art, I felt more at peace, and was just able to create. I don't want to overcome the doubt, I want to accept it and work with it; it'd be impossible to overcome it and would probably end disastrously! Somebody described these sculptures as being "little gremlins", I think that's exactly what they are; those little niggling voices in your head.

Somebody might just look at these and see unskilled sculpture, lumps of clay and think it's all outlandish; but for me it isn't about skillful sculpting or realism, it's about showing hesitation and doubt.

Name:  061.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  261.2 KBName:  018.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  274.5 KBName:  034.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  321.2 KBName:  062.JPG
Size:  351.5 KBName:  040.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  330.4 KBName:  005.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  250.1 KBName:  007.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  264.1 KBName:  008.JPG
Size:  276.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, never noticed I got to page 2! Well, I'd best keep going, sorry I've left it a while with no update.

I've been trying to get more involved with different areas of the website I never normally venture into, and having things like EOW, CHOW etc on the top banner did encourage me to look in the forums and competition areas! I love some of the work that goes on in those weekly challenges, very inspiring. It also reminded me that I used to want to draw figures, and still do, although I got lost from that while being on my course at university, it being contemporary fine art and all. I did have life drawing lessons on my foundation degree last year, but not on the BA degree... weird right?

I really liked one theme from the CHOW, 'Leader of the Pack', and I had so many ideas while reading the brief, I figured I might give it a go. Ive done nothing like it, and it pushes me as far away from my comfort zone as I can get! Also showing how rusty I am with figure drawing, I never had enough lessons to get very far even last year, but I did make some progress and gained some understanding - this shows in my gesture drawings I did this week. I found an old sketchbook I used years ago for my gesture drawings and Bridgman studies, wow... awful. I decided to continue to use this sketchbook for these studies, as it's over half full, and is cheap and disposable so I'm not worried about the "blank sketchbook fear" setting in.

Sorry, I really do ramble. To cut the story short, I found a nice pose online and decided to use that for my character, I'm thinking of a lemur woman for the CHOW. I did a few gestures, then settled on this one.

Name:  Capture4.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  33.3 KBName:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  151.2 KB

I tried twice to get the general proportions and pose right, both times something wasn't right about it. Looking at them the next day I saw I hadn't lifted her pelvis high enough, so the whole section of that body was too low and she wasn't twisted enough in my sketch. I drew myself some lines on the image to help me see where things should line up and meet. I'll attempt it again. Messy linework, I know.

Name:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  217.3 KBName:  Capture4b.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  52.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like how loose your line work is while still expressing form. That's something that in all my years of trying to do pencil work I never quite got the hang of. The paintings are gorgeous, and you've got a great eye for color. Keep posting!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chevy28360 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following

As they say, leaving your comfort zone is very good, in goals of evolving.
    You did a good job on the pose study, and of course I would encourage you
    to do more of those. Different poses, different body types. I think in the beginning
    is a bit annoying to do figure drawings, but after you get the hang of it, it will be
    more than fun. If you do a lot of figures, you will get to the level when you’ll be able
    to draw them from your mind and to create your own characters. It’s really a fun and
    joyful ride, so I would like you to try it. Keep drawing and posting of course.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 21st June 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the long absence! University has taken over at the moment with deadlines a week away, and preparing for the end of year exhibition that's on friday! I basically have until thursday morning to create my whole exhibition piece. Stressful yes, definitely challenging but I will get it done!

I'm recycling the large wooden pallet from the piece earlier in my sketchbook. The smaller wooden pallets didn't fill the massive space I was given very well, and they just don't have the same impact. I'm re-using the sculptures from my mini exhibition, the ones in my "Self Doubt" piece, along with more I've created over the Easter break. Anyway, here's a couple of progress shots, we have to document every stage so that's exactly what I'm doing, both for here and my blog! I stretched the canvas over the pallet myself - you may see it's not completely taut. Don't panic! It's intentional, if I was making a proper canvas I'd make sure it was as tight as a drum. Not necessary for this piece. With the help of a visiting artist and my tutor we fixed one side to the wall, facing it outwards into the space diagonally so it doesn't block the persons work from view on the far wall. We then had to put a brace between the outermost corner and the wall to stop it wobbling and minimise risk of it falling!

Next, to start painting on it! I'm going to start painting with clay slip as a base, it'll look really nice with the clay sculptures I think.

Name:  tumblr_mlo4xchq3E1qai2cso1_1280.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  152.5 KBName:  tumblr_mlo4wz2ph21qai2cso1_1280.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  153.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the pallet piece, I'm keeping to the timeline I set myself to get this finished so I'm happy with that side of things. I've been going through a stage of hating this piece, which has lasted longer than it normally would. I've just had so many mixed feelings about it, from thinking I've painted too many lines to just hating it and wondering why I'm bothering. Yesterday I looked at it and just thought "what a shoddy painting". I just need to remind myself that it's not finished, and realism and representation isn't the be all and end all in painting. This piece isn't even about the painting - it's more drawing with the paint and the sculpture and how it works as a whole. Just trying to reassure myself. Either way, I feel like I've been out of touch with the fundamentals of art for too long, studying on a contemporary fine art course it can be difficult to keep up with them and to create work that's "contemporary". Anyway, the sculptures will be placed tomorrow and them I'm done!

So, this summer I decided I need to take things to the next level, so I applied for a residency. As well, I also decided to sign up to Noah Bradley's Art Camp, I really want to get back to the fundamentals and really improve.

By the way, the kettle and the bags aren't part of the piece, haha.

Name:  tumblr_mls0qn0pVJ1qai2cso1_1280.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  160.4 KBName:  tumblr_mls0r5cXrP1qai2cso1_500.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  62.8 KBName:  tumblr_mls0rhFpCC1qai2cso1_500.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  60.4 KBName:  tumblr_mls0s8TT4H1qai2cso1_500.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  62.3 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.