Synapsids, and where to learn more about them.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Synapsids, and where to learn more about them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Synapsids, and where to learn more about them.

So I've recently been delving into the history of creatures of this planet, and yes, everyone knows about dinosaurs and if you want to be good at creature design and anatomy it's good to not only look into present day creatures but also extinct species. But looking even further back into Earths past I've learnt about the precursors of dinosaurs, the Synapsids. I personally find these creatures incredibly interesting from what I've been able to find, but that's kind of the problem. They are so heavily overshadowed by Dinosaurs that any information seems to only pertain to their decline or how they're just a stepping stone of evolution, nothing showing a great deal of information about their evolution or physiology.

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know where to find detailed information on this incredibly large (and important) class of animals? Books? Blogs? Websites? I'd just like to learn more and it's proving difficult.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Two good paleontology blogs are Darren Naish's Tetrapod Zoology and Brian Switek's Laelaps. Although they both post a lot of dinosaur content (because hey, they're cool, and the marquee attraction), they also cover lots of pre- and post-mesozoic stuff as well.
    The BBC did a three-part "prequel" series to Walking With Dinosaurs called Walking With Monsters that covers life in the Cambrian through the early Triassic.

Last edited by Elwell; January 16th, 2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Encyclopedia of Life is a good basic reference for, well, all kinds of life, past and present - there's not always a lot of images, but it's a good starting point for looking things up: http://eol.org/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah walking with monstors is ace, the cambrian stuff is amazingly alien, even though our common ancestor swam in those demon infested waters. and the giant sea reptiles are incredible. real actual god monsters!

speaking of the cambrian explosion theres a hill near where my rentals live i had a look at it over xmas. theres a place where the rock immediately below a discontinuity is sterile and above is full of fossils. it shows the epoch life got large and complex and took over the planet in an eyeblink of geological time. its a pretty cool thing to see. the actual sand of that seabed compressed into a rock you can touch. electric.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For mammalian forebears, or forebears in general, you might like reading Richard Dawkins book ĎThe Ancestorís Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolutioní. I found all of itís 600+ pages one of the most imaginatively stimulating reads. SciFi has nothing on this stuff.

Dawkins talks about Therapsids (advanced Synapsids) here starting on page 251 of the book (hopefully it links well).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.