Art: Character design project: re- imagining a tales character for games

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Character design project: re- imagining a tales character for games

Hi, first time poster here at concept art, and I come with a project of mine hoping for some feedback.

OK so here's the project. it's a personal project for university, and what has been is how re-imaging a character from a tale affect it's design for games. then re-imagining a character of my choosing. I chose Aladdin for my re-interpretation. I sort of followed the design pipeline of the artists in the book the skillfull huntsman, to the point where I wrote a re-imagined story of Aladdin, except shorter and not as good (not a great writer). here are some costume choices I came up with. if it would help with feedback I can post the story. it is however about 1400 words in length, not long for a story but a lot of text for a forum page which is why I'm hesitant to post it. anyway look at the images below and tell me what you think.
    Character design project: re- imagining a tales character for games

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The process in getting to these designs

first what i did was created a number of silhouettes and negative space sketching. using both paper with markers, and in Photoshop with some brushes. it was at this point where I quickly leaned away from the bigger bulkier silhouettes, feeling that that didn't look right for the character in mind. there were also some very loose head sketches.

from there i took some of the silhouettes that i liked, grabbed some tracing paper, and sketched over them. i like this technique, because it it allows me to take the silhouettes i liked and generate a lot of ideas from the core silhouette. i also played with robotic limbs, I feel this is where sci fi began to get stuck in my mind a little.

from there I did some head sketches, wanting to find a face or some faces that i could use as a basis for my final character design, and possibly help the flow of the values. i tried a range of different shapes, even a female face too see if it might change my mind on doing a male character, but ultimately, i really like 2 faces I did first more than anything else on the first page. the scarf like mask, like a snood, and the spiky haired male with the button on the neck of his coat, i id try an alternative angle with the masked mans face with the piercing on the second page and tried a more traditional mask next to it, but it was more to figure out his face as half of it was covered.

in the value stage, I took some of the sketches from the second stage, some of the negative form drawing on the 1st stage, I also used 1 or 2 silhouettes for designs that didn't come from the earlier stages. the value design was interesting because of this, a lot of designs in the stage just popped into my mind with no real influence from the previous stages.

It was here when I started doing a lot of bag designs in the values, that I started sketching out some proper bag designs, as well as some fanny packs, to see what i could come up with and if any was interesting.

this was a sketch for the design of his phone, as some of the bags had phone straps, i though it would be cool if the smart phone, was a robot that could hack, sneak around and do tasks, cause then it would literally be a smart phone. i wanted it to look a little generic, reason being i wanted people to pick up on the fact that it was a smart phone quickly.

the 19th design(or 3rd row 2nd to the right on the values) got a lot of variations from monochromatic, to complimentary colours, the 2 middle at the top i believe are triadic. 2 of the made it further as seen before, the one too the right end got some colour variations as well. the almost modern/ current clothed were complimentary, mainly focusing on blue and orange, the middle one got taken further . the 5 that followed were monochromatic mostly aside from the one with the glowing purple mask, the red one got taken further. the 2 white haired ones in jackets were plays on complimentary colours once again. the one's that look like the British flag almost, were plays on primary and secondary colours. the last 4 were monochromatic, but the black and red one got taken further as I liked that design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some alternate mask designs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi B-Chinos.

I really like the actual design aspect of these images. However they unfortunately feel flat mostly because you need to learn the fundamentals of drawing. Some tips from me would be to study:
    - perspective
    - basic forms (cubes, cylinders, spheres etc) in 3D space using Perspective as ur basis.
    - understanding anatomy, following on from the previous 2 steps apply what you learnt in them and apply it to the forms and flow in anatomy.
    - rendering+lighting start on simple forms again such as a sphere, and render out what metal would look like with a basic round brush in Photoshop. Practice with just black+white, no colour - colour can be added easily later.
    - tackle different subject matter from a 3/4 view so it forces you to draw the character in 3D. Subject matter such as, humans/animals (organic), cloth, and vehicles/buildings (hard surface) all with the approach of understanding the subject rather than purely copying.

good luck and all the best!
    Clym

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the feedback, I'll keep practising and take your advice on.

cause this is for a project, could you tell me possibly which design you prefer, why and if there are any changes you'd think would work?

thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I like your costume designs, but they really don't say "Aladdin" or "Arabian Nights" to me. I would genuinely suggest that you really take a look at Middle Eastern clothing/design/art and pull what you can from it, incorporating it into your character design. Right now, the character does seem a little generic. Try pulling something iconic from the original "Aladdin" design (maybe like scimitar motif on his clothing or a headband/skullcap that flows behind him, representative of an unraveling turban) and then add elements of your own to really make the character yours. You have a great start here, though, and I see no need to comment on anatomy and fundamental skills, as prior posters have already addressed those issues.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

second iteration

taking visioneer's advice i looked at some middle eastern clothing, as well as a few concepts of Aladdin, what i noticed mostly were incorporations of desert scarfs and sashes.

I did a lot of monochromatic colour schemes with theme cause i didn't feel it was explored enough with the first

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the process for the second iteration

forgot to put these on beforehand. just the process
    the sketches
    the values
    the colour schemes

i never really finished the second idea, i started it , did the outfit loosely, then kinda as i tested the values and colours, the more i felt it wasn't going to work, so i ultimately dropped it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

moodboards

self explanatory, mood boards I created, it may help with feedback and design choices if you all saw these, instead of just me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

third iteration

after getting some feedback from a lectured, he seemed to like the mask/ snood from the first iteration, so after choosing a pose I sketched values onto the one I like with tracing paper.
    in the values I somewhat like 1, 7 and 9. all thoughts and opinions on the design welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    values 2. I tried with these values to try and sci-fi/ modernise middle eastern clothing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, i'ma a traceur and a concept artist and i'm loving what you're doing so far Just keep in mind that large clothes are not so good for parkour cause they can get into the way when you're tracing! If you need some help i suggest you to have a look at the tutorial i've made which is about rendering, not about design, so you can achieve a better look for your project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the reply.
    I know what you mean about baggy clothing, it was due to feedback from a lecturer that i should explore middle eastern/ disney aladdins clothing,both seemed to have examples of very loose/baggy trousers so i felt i should test it.
    any links to some clothing that you feel works better?
    also what is this video you were talking about?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the moodboard which i made during the third iteration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any reference you're using is good except for the alladin leggings, you can do a concept with that if you want but doing real parkour they will be dangerous cause it's essential that your legs are totally free to move. So you have to choose if aesthetic should overcome functionality, thinking about all this stuff is the best trait of a good concept artist

About that video i was talking about it show you how to setup a drawing and how to color it in a VERY EASY way with lights and shadows, it's a working process that i've made for beginners, it can be used for concept art or comics and it's just to learn to use photoshop the most effective way and how to polish whatever drawing you want to be a presentable concept art. If you manage to learn it the quality of your work will improve without any doubt, just give it a shot

here

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...real-beginners!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hitsu, thanks for the vid,

i did a few more values to really nail the values, and shapes of the design. the colour stage comes next

Last edited by B-Cinos; February 10th, 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: image too big

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the colour schemes I've come up with. some have similar colour schemes used before, I wanted to see how they looked on other designs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. I think you are following a really good process. Building on a really strong silhouette it a really good way to go, your approach with pattern is really great too. The only thing I would say is be really careful when you take it to the next stage with the larger rendering. I would say detail is less important than feeling the clothing has form, that it is wrapping around something. At the moment it feels like there are too many creases in the fabric your characters wear and they don't seem to behave in the correct way. I would reduce this back and make sure the main creases read - then you can add extra detail if you need it. Especially as you have work hard on the overall read of the character you don't want detail you add to detract.
    I think you've got some really great stuff here though, I love the latest sheet in particular with the day-glo colours - very cool look.

All the best

Tim

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

colour schemes.2

I put the schemes in a them like order. though it has been brought to my attention that there is still a bleeding of themes
    i sampled the colours from each picture in the environment mood board to see what the character will be clashing against or blending in with. it almost seems that a fair majority of colours came out, which considering the character is a thief, probably for the best

some new colour schemes. i feel as though i have been repeating myself somewhat colour scheme wise. though i have gone through a lot these 3 iterations of design so i guess it's to be expected to a degree.

should be noted, the phrases like sci-fi, middle eastern, are where i feel the inspiration for said colour schemes came from. though for some i'm not sure and just put them where i thought best .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Third(maybe final) costume variants

OK so this is may be the final iteration due to deadlines and the need to complete orthographic's(maybe illustration/s). some feedback(not from here) liked the last 2 colour schemes from the previous post, for the middle eastern and the 1st cyberpunk one. so I created these in response to that. 4 look very similar, aside from 2 have the sports stripes due to some feedback I wasn't sure I agreed with about the saturation of the trouser/pants.

you may also have noticed the hair on most is almost identical to the character from the first iteration, I altered it's length slightly but it's the same style. I just liked the hairstyle for the character. though I did come up with a more punk-ish hair to see how that would look.

SCI FI/ Middle eastern-ish
    The pants/ trousers are more saturated.

these pants/ trousers are less saturated.

altered

SCI-FI/ Cyberpunk-ish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final look
    also tried making a quick background thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

illustration and model/sculpt

the illustration, the arms went wrong somewhere, due to time constraints i will have to try and fix it at a later date, as this project requires me to model my concept.

here's the model as it currently stands with most of the form there. to me it's important to get the form right for a model or the clothes may/ probably won't look right. the feet have that gap because of the style of shoe and how i plan to create them via creating a new subtool via masking the foot area, hence the foots lack of toes and such in comparison to the rest of the body.
    looking at it now. the head may need widening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

second progress shot, fixed some errors that were pointed out to me by my project supervisor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

progress 3

The progress shots in normal and perspective mode.(previous were all in perspective)

this thread if not previously mentioned is also on polycount
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116548

normal

perspective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the sculpt is more or less done

just sorta noticed i haven't shown any of his clothes yet. and now they are kinda done.

I think due to time constraints i won't be able to make massive changes, minor one's i might

any crit's welcome

also noticed from first pic the butt is to shapely formed in the baggy trousers so I altered it

Members who have read this thread: 1