Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Talking JANUARY 2003 Guest SP Area (toxic stuff)

Just when you think you had enough from doing self portraits, you find out that you haven't even begun.
    It's a wonderful experience and I congrat myself in days like this (when my SP is SO crappy that i have to use all kind of filters to pull it up or to make more then one) that i haven't quit... not a day
    To you Andrew and to ALL how have ever tried this: THANK YOU!

JANUARY 2003 Guest SP Area (toxic stuff)

Self Portrait No. 161 (is this sick or what)
    (pen&paper - scan - nervous brake down - wacom crash - calm down - a little work - great respect for you people)

To Keyth - ha.. gotcha' :bash:

Oblio

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Back to the gridstone again and happy new year . 1:45 and work tommorow :/

Thanks

blah

did this one in painter with the pastels.

oblio: very very loose, i like it! its great that there aren't many lines and its very loose, but it still totally looks like you! nice job

lionel: sweet lighting and i love the reflection in the glasses, really well done!

blackhawk: i had been meaning to ask you about your Dec16 painting. what brush was that you used? i've been tryin to get that look, but don't know how. my initial assumption is that maybe you went with pastels or captured bristle then used one of those depth rakes? is that right?

Thanks

Like Oblio says...less talk more art. Time (after the holidays) for me to get back down to business.

Thanks

i will not press Ctrl-Z

the most difficult one is the one directly after one you really like ...
    here it is anyway, the arm does not belong to me

here too are some quotes from Mr Loomis that I should have payed attention to.
    Do not pet in your line, draw it cleanly with long sweep.
    Do not shade with a mutitude of little pecky strokes
    and so on

ZippZopp, the diagonals in the background work well with the angle of the head. I see some non-muddy colours as well e.g. at the mouth corners, I like it.

Lionel, the break has done you the world of good, way to go on the glasses

Oblio, at least your pen and paper didn't crash. the features seem accurately placed

Thanks

NO NO NO

no.. Mia.. the features are wrong too - my right eye (left in the pic) is too far in the back - the nose should be rotated etc - i've made another *fixed* version but i'm not posting it. One crap is enough.

Here a new one! Value crap - you can spot perspective problems here too - the mouth goes one way.. the eye line is twisted a bit - chin also need some corection - also made some tweaks to it after i've pressed CTRL-S - i've fixed it then i've got so angry and frustrated and did not save it (punishing myself :bash: )

Mia - Symetry - your eyes are not on the same level - this is an easy one to spot - draw some paralel lines. Comme on - pay a bit of attention. Mouth seems also a bit large - but as a general feeling.. it looks like you have payed more attention to proportions. GOOD WORK! I realy like the nose - for me - the nose is very dificult!

MCM - talking art is GOOD too friend.

ZippZopp - love that angle. a bit too saturated i think - minor problems here and there - eyes, nose

Lionel - I love that shadow (eye-glases). So.. what's up? Enough drawing? Back to painting or is just one to regain the confidence? :p

Oblio

Thanks
    i went with the impasto today, not realizing that upon resizing it would look like crap. so here it is resized down along with a detail at full rez.

oblio: yeah, looking back on my last one there are a few small errors. i like the roughness of your lastest...looks good

miasmak: i know exactly what you're talking about! tryin to do another potraiit after a really good one is tough. i like this one though, i think the composition is good, not being centered gives it a nice feel! good job

mindcandy: looks good from memory! surprisingly, they are actually a little easier than one migh think

Thanks
    ZippZopp: You have taken a step foward with thouse last few. Rember that color is your friend. It will give you depth and shape. Thry playing around with different hues. Add some more blue and watch as shapes seem to fall away add some yellow watch them lift up again add some green and watch them fall away again. Look long and hard at an later lucian freud (after his smooth phase) see what each color does to the picture. don't be afaris to paint a lumpy sp lerning what colors do to form is the important thing

MindCandyMan: Try doing a drawing where you do not draw a single line only shade patches of shade. Alow yourself a few guilding lines and then try and see where the patches of shade are on a face NOT where you think they are plus make sure you draw reasnoble big

miasmak: Thry constructing a face from connecting lines to put boxes round the face. If you only alow yourself one stroke for each line and you keep your lines long you will avoid the problems that Loomis speaks of.

Oblio: looks you went straight into the detail rather than constructing you face first (Which is what I do every damm time and I can't kick the habit :/) get the shapes blocked in first or have a nice acurate line drawing or you will be putting details onto features that will be in the wrong place.

Still trying to work on the lines . Sorry if its a little boring but I just keep hammering away at things till I get them right (well at least to a reasnoble standard)

Thanks
    This is happy 100. I finally hit the century mark, the 90's were kind of slow I had some nose and mouth issues on this one.

Oblio - Hey bud, nice work. First one, as you have pointed out, has issues with that eye receeding back too much. The second one is looking good, try to smooth out the value a bit though. Get that second eye in there It's always easy doing one eye in an SP, two eyes is the better challenge. Keep it up bud.

Lionel - These two are great. The first one has very nice reflections off of the glasses. The second one is a lot cleaner, you may have messed up on the nose form though, but I'm getting a better sense of the form in your face on this one. Nicely done

ZippZopp - On your brush question, honestly, I can't remember, I know it was one of the paint brushes with a lot of impasto and it turned out like crap :p I like the experimentation going on here, the weird golds in the second one are bugging me though. Looks like you had a loose booger on your nose. Your improving though, keep on working at it. How is your graduate school portfolio stuff coming along?

Mia - Eyes are out of alignment on this one. One is higher than the other Listen to Oblio, he can be meaner than me Kidding Oblio.

MCM - Welcome back bud, now let's see you getting started again, we all will be expecting a lot from you

Have a good evening everyone, I may try for one more tonight to make up for last night if I can.

Thanks

i have been very frusterated.

Thanks
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Talking Heh

It looks like the year started with a lot of FRUSTRATION.
    Damn.. it feels good not to be alone in this - i've had my worst moments ever in those 2 days on 2003 - hopefully this will get us far beter.

ROCK ON! :chug:

Oblio

Thanks

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1