Art: JANUARY 2003 Guest SP Area (toxic stuff)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking JANUARY 2003 Guest SP Area (toxic stuff)

Just when you think you had enough from doing self portraits, you find out that you haven't even begun.
    It's a wonderful experience and I congrat myself in days like this (when my SP is SO crappy that i have to use all kind of filters to pull it up or to make more then one) that i haven't quit... not a day
    To you Andrew and to ALL how have ever tried this: THANK YOU!

JANUARY 2003 Guest SP Area (toxic stuff)

Self Portrait No. 161 (is this sick or what)
    (pen&paper - scan - nervous brake down - wacom crash - calm down - a little work - great respect for you people)

To Keyth - ha.. gotcha' :bash:

Oblio

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back to the gridstone again and happy new year . 1:45 and work tommorow :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blah

did this one in painter with the pastels.

oblio: very very loose, i like it! its great that there aren't many lines and its very loose, but it still totally looks like you! nice job

lionel: sweet lighting and i love the reflection in the glasses, really well done!

blackhawk: i had been meaning to ask you about your Dec16 painting. what brush was that you used? i've been tryin to get that look, but don't know how. my initial assumption is that maybe you went with pastels or captured bristle then used one of those depth rakes? is that right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Like Oblio says...less talk more art. Time (after the holidays) for me to get back down to business.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i will not press Ctrl-Z

the most difficult one is the one directly after one you really like ...
    here it is anyway, the arm does not belong to me

here too are some quotes from Mr Loomis that I should have payed attention to.
    Do not pet in your line, draw it cleanly with long sweep.
    Do not shade with a mutitude of little pecky strokes
    and so on

ZippZopp, the diagonals in the background work well with the angle of the head. I see some non-muddy colours as well e.g. at the mouth corners, I like it.

Lionel, the break has done you the world of good, way to go on the glasses

Oblio, at least your pen and paper didn't crash. the features seem accurately placed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NO NO NO

no.. Mia.. the features are wrong too - my right eye (left in the pic) is too far in the back - the nose should be rotated etc - i've made another *fixed* version but i'm not posting it. One crap is enough.

Here a new one! Value crap - you can spot perspective problems here too - the mouth goes one way.. the eye line is twisted a bit - chin also need some corection - also made some tweaks to it after i've pressed CTRL-S - i've fixed it then i've got so angry and frustrated and did not save it (punishing myself :bash: )

Mia - Symetry - your eyes are not on the same level - this is an easy one to spot - draw some paralel lines. Comme on - pay a bit of attention. Mouth seems also a bit large - but as a general feeling.. it looks like you have payed more attention to proportions. GOOD WORK! I realy like the nose - for me - the nose is very dificult!

MCM - talking art is GOOD too friend.

ZippZopp - love that angle. a bit too saturated i think - minor problems here and there - eyes, nose

Lionel - I love that shadow (eye-glases). So.. what's up? Enough drawing? Back to painting or is just one to regain the confidence? :p

Oblio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i went with the impasto today, not realizing that upon resizing it would look like crap. so here it is resized down along with a detail at full rez.

oblio: yeah, looking back on my last one there are a few small errors. i like the roughness of your lastest...looks good

miasmak: i know exactly what you're talking about! tryin to do another potraiit after a really good one is tough. i like this one though, i think the composition is good, not being centered gives it a nice feel! good job

mindcandy: looks good from memory! surprisingly, they are actually a little easier than one migh think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ZippZopp: You have taken a step foward with thouse last few. Rember that color is your friend. It will give you depth and shape. Thry playing around with different hues. Add some more blue and watch as shapes seem to fall away add some yellow watch them lift up again add some green and watch them fall away again. Look long and hard at an later lucian freud (after his smooth phase) see what each color does to the picture. don't be afaris to paint a lumpy sp lerning what colors do to form is the important thing

MindCandyMan: Try doing a drawing where you do not draw a single line only shade patches of shade. Alow yourself a few guilding lines and then try and see where the patches of shade are on a face NOT where you think they are plus make sure you draw reasnoble big

miasmak: Thry constructing a face from connecting lines to put boxes round the face. If you only alow yourself one stroke for each line and you keep your lines long you will avoid the problems that Loomis speaks of.

Oblio: looks you went straight into the detail rather than constructing you face first (Which is what I do every damm time and I can't kick the habit :/) get the shapes blocked in first or have a nice acurate line drawing or you will be putting details onto features that will be in the wrong place.

Still trying to work on the lines . Sorry if its a little boring but I just keep hammering away at things till I get them right (well at least to a reasnoble standard)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is happy 100. I finally hit the century mark, the 90's were kind of slow I had some nose and mouth issues on this one.

Oblio - Hey bud, nice work. First one, as you have pointed out, has issues with that eye receeding back too much. The second one is looking good, try to smooth out the value a bit though. Get that second eye in there It's always easy doing one eye in an SP, two eyes is the better challenge. Keep it up bud.

Lionel - These two are great. The first one has very nice reflections off of the glasses. The second one is a lot cleaner, you may have messed up on the nose form though, but I'm getting a better sense of the form in your face on this one. Nicely done

ZippZopp - On your brush question, honestly, I can't remember, I know it was one of the paint brushes with a lot of impasto and it turned out like crap :p I like the experimentation going on here, the weird golds in the second one are bugging me though. Looks like you had a loose booger on your nose. Your improving though, keep on working at it. How is your graduate school portfolio stuff coming along?

Mia - Eyes are out of alignment on this one. One is higher than the other Listen to Oblio, he can be meaner than me Kidding Oblio.

MCM - Welcome back bud, now let's see you getting started again, we all will be expecting a lot from you

Have a good evening everyone, I may try for one more tonight to make up for last night if I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i have been very frusterated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Heh

It looks like the year started with a lot of FRUSTRATION.
    Damn.. it feels good not to be alone in this - i've had my worst moments ever in those 2 days on 2003 - hopefully this will get us far beter.

ROCK ON! :chug:

Oblio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

killingpeople: really cool ominous mood in this one. and the brush stroke is great! cool portrait

mindcandy: i know those days!!! but if anyone has drive its you...you gotta try to push through that and get the portrait done!!! keep up the hard work

blackhawk: yet another fantastic one! you really love that orange and you use it quite well. i like the way you chose to do the eyes. well done! you are very inspiring. the grad school stuff is coming along slowly....very slowly. its a big pain to be honest

lionel: looking good buddy, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Done!

Here we go.. more value studies - i couldn't restrain myself from some photoshop tweak after it was done. :bash:

Now... :evilbat:

Lionel - definitely big improvements. I think you might want to extend your value range a bit. Also, you seem to want to show every plane there and for me it's a bit too much - i would leave more space to sugestion. Your hatching is made only on straighty lines - not a bad thing but you can try some variations and go with longer strokes around the shape ( a la retro ).
    There are some outlines there that also seem to bother me - i hope you take this the right and easy way - i'm telling you this while i might not be able to follow my own advices - but this is because i know you can.
    Here there is a sayng - "do what the priest says, not what he does" - mainly because the priests here were quite out of thier atributes. I might be off too so.. just slap me if i've jumped over the shark

Mr Blackhawk - let's see.. yes.. y e s.... here; two eyes for you, (btw - they didn't turned out as good as i was expecting - but reasonable - on the other half - you seem to have some minor eye axis pb yourself )
    Again i have to say i've followed your steps and went with Oil Pastel - very nice feeling there. I love your loose style - you seem to get the hang of it lately - Oblio bows deeply

KP - hey my final friend, how are you? Got a computer again? I surely hope so! No more roommates? You killed them all? Tasty? Nice sp - minos symetry problems but.. hey.. great nevertheless. (i love the red and the splash feeling it has - how you do that? :confused

MCM - this is a bad behavior - 30 pushups and more studies for you! NOW! :bash: Umm.. ok.. now a beer would do :chug:

KP2 - ahh... yes... the master of the mouse is back - am i right? Oh boy .. i wish one day i'll be able to do my SP's just for fun.. without any study involved (if it could be such a thing)

ZZ.. no ZPZP... umm.. no ZiZi... PziPzo.. ah crap : Zippo :eek:
    ZippZopp - pheu... boy.. it was hard but it seems that the last one realy kicks ass. Eyes a bit icon like (your right - my left - seems a bit large), ear a bit too far back (i might be wrong here), great shadow on the neck... background a bit too saturated for my taste - yes.. i do suck.

Oblio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oblio: That last one is really really good. Good call on all the advice I agree with you completly. I am really struggling with this and all advice is very much apriciated.

ZippZopp: gret improvement again . Try pusing your colors out toward the red and yellow hue even if you think that you skin isn't that color. See what these colors do and then try and imcoperate them into you picture.

killing.people: That last on rock there is some serious mood in it great stuff.

MindCandyMan: Painting is easier than drawing and use a bigger brush!!

Blackhawk: You have come such a long way so quickly. I am really loving these last few from you . one thing I have noticed is be carefull about where the nose meets the cheeks as it often look at to small an angle on you picture. That whis seem to bring it up to much. Prehaps it would be better as a small highlight? Also make sure you sculped out an eye socket as I think the nose in starting to cut into it. These are only minor nigles to a great piece.

Working on the principal that less is more I have tried to make my lines matter a bit more. I hate drawing in painter any advice gratefully received

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    obilo:
    i have a new computer but it isnt cooperating with our network along with a few other confusing problems. my friend set up the computer for me and neglected to give me administrative access before leaving to another state.

i used my roomates computer still because he has a better monitor.

i no longer use a mouse, i have procured a wacom tablet.

to get the splash effect, i used painter7's dry brush with a wacom tablet.

-kp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everybody, my first two from the new year aren't worth posting. But here's tonights humble offering.

May the new year bode very auspicious for all of you.

Last edited by Grooveholmes; January 4th, 2003 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll do comments tomorrow. It's almost 6am and it's been a long and frustrating night for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes experimentation is a good thing...sometimes it's not.......unfortunately this time I feel it is the latter

I will post more comments later but I have to say that BLACKHAWK this latest one is so amazing. I can't even put it into words...I absolutely LOVE...that piece...I have been having a lot of trouble painting...you are inspiring me to try again...wow I can't even tell you how much this piece hit me straight in the heart. Awesome job man it looks beautiful...the struggle you had last night was worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i got home and found that all the portraits i did on my laptop show up a loooot darker on my regular computer's monitor...im sort of bummed out but oh well...here is today...

man you guys started 2003 with a vengeance!!! so much emotion and energy going on !! keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oh boy...

BLACKHAWK - that one is DOPE man!

Lionel - ok - thx. Then.. I can fire my cannon again - right? - Your last.. makes you old - your lines are all full black (except some guides i spot behind) and look like ink - and working with ink requires (as far as i know) to varry the weight of the line. I think it's best to have a single light source - no necesarely very strong - just enough to force you spor the shadow. If you have got the brushes mia' has posted about .. two months ago - there are some nice"sketch tools" you might wanna try. If i were you i would try to work with the chacoal or the 2b pencil in painter - but make the brush a bit bigger and work with more opacities - i use 40% and 70% mainly. If you want to make it like ink... then make sure you don't draw lines that are not and also look to varry the weight - thinner in the light.. thick where the shadow is - again - i don't pretend i'm able to do it myself (never tried though) but if you want me.. i'll go for it - it will make two of us.

KP - doh - those computer freaks (i used to be one of them) - comme on - you can set up a toy like that. Good to know you have got back on the track - i remember you wanted that wacom bad enough - i plan to change mine too - i have a rusty old "pen partner" out of production now - the tinyest ever - and i use 2 big monitors - this makes it so hard - i have about half a inch for my strokes I think i can start painting on a rice seed soon

Grooveholmes - thank you. A great year to you too. Every SP is worth posting - it seems though, that you should put more work on them buddy. :chug:

Blackhawck - as i said it before - that one rocks - i thought at first you used a photo there - that nose.. wow.. and the eye... (see? one eye is better then two - this is Retro's rule )

MCM - you're the oracle, friend.. ideas are good. Keep it up. Still more studies for you

Ilex - yes.. calibration is a bitch - TFT monitors (laptop) are bad for color anyway. You seem to love the color girl... push it more then. Yours,

Oblio

by the sea, in the north, on the west, below the white bears
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone...been a while since ive posted. holidays where busy busy.

heres a couple from before christmas..
    dec 15th's

dec 21'st's

and yesterdays...
    my girlfriend hopped a bus back to LA yesterday and i wont be seeing her again for 5 months.
    expect a lot more 'empty' portraits from me.

umm...everyone seems to be doing exceptional work/progress...and yeah, frustration seems to be the current theme. trust me when i say i have resources to tap into that emotion. i'll try and play that one up next sp

oblio...your stuff is very impressive...pretty much every sp i see from you i can see what you would look like in real life. realism doesnt seem to be your cliche as much as power does.

ilex...your colors are usually pretty damn dark...it lends itself nicely to your wide pallete choices. somehow i think 'living dead' when i see alot of your sp's. i dunno if thats good or bad.

MCM...experimenting is ALWAYS a good thing...its knowing when to continue and when to stop experimenting that requires control. i usually see no more than two or three angles or expressions in your spods...and its usually accompanied by a lot of linear lines....i think it might be good experimentation for you to try more value studies...like what oblios doing...focus on force....dont worry about a jawline...try to pull the fierceness of the eyes out and build what is most striking.

blackhawk...beautifull colors on that last one. your style is really really inspiring. a question: have you been employed for your artistic skills?

happy new year everyone...best wishes for the coming year.
    wee im so serious.
    screw it...everyone go do mushrooms and watch the two towers twice in a row.
    :jump1: :jump1:

Last edited by ATOMICsizePENCIL; January 4th, 2003 at 11:08 PM.
    "Trust Yourself"

Arin Ringwald - Student of Illustration and Design

www.dabble.dream.cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blah. I muddled around in this one too much. It was obviously inspired by Mr. Manley's SP, I had to kind of wing the values to my own facial features though, I really didn't have an overhead lamp to cast the shadow I needed Still, it's nothing compared to Manley's though, I'm trying though, oh dear lordy am I trying.

MCM - Thanks, I really didn't expect the reaction that I recieved for that last one, it was surprising. Experimentation is always a good thing. I get bored with a technique quickly, I'm very impatient when it comes to trying out new stuff with my art. I hate stagnating, you know what I mean? Just keep working at it bud, all it takes is tons of dedication and heart, Jason Manley himself has plenty of inspiring and informational advice hidden like little pockets of treasure all over this forum.

Lionel - Thanks for the crit. Yeah, I noticed that the area was screwy too, I need to pay more attention to my highlight values as well, I get stuck in assigning the same highlight to everything and it doesn't read well on my portraits. Your skin looks like it's wet wrinkled in this one If you hate drawing in Painter, then just use the good old paper and pencil Good job bud.

Killing - That second one is bad-ass, I mean that. It looks like a psycho clown lurking the shadows, that's the very first impression I got from it I love it man, good to see you posting a few up again.

ZippZopp - Thanks. Nice SP on your last one, try to incorporate some richer colors into your SP's, everything seems too saturated. That brown line running down the face is bugging me too, but as a whole, this SP is a definite step up. Keep working at it bud.

Oblio - Thanks bud Speaking of Retro's rule, whatever happened to Retro? He sent me some PM's awhile ago and now they say Deleted User next to them. Your eye's are piercing in your last two SP's, very well done.

Grooveholmes - Good to see you back, still using the CD for your mirror? The nose on this one came out very well, but the half-hazard line on the cheeks really threw me off. Keep them coming

Ilex - Nicely done, like Oblio said, you really like pushing the colors, maybe try unifying them a bit though, the warm's and cool's are clashing in spots, but overall it's holding pretty well together, I like it.

Wazzo - Thanks. Haven't done any art commercially yet, I'm still very much a student, although I really wish I was recieving a more traditional training. Right now I'm going to a small computer animation/trade school or whatever it's called, and I'm regretting it at this point, the instruction I recieved in 3D was excellent, but the traditional instruction is lacking BIG TIME and the traditional is what I'm more eager to learn. This forum and it's users have been a godsend in that respect, I've learned a lot from this place.

Watch out for the head proportions on these, your face is coming out too long and it's not looking right. Be careful of the proportions, don't be afraid to measure it. Keep them coming.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some

Blackhawk - Thanks for the kind words...I will keep going.

wazzo - awesome advice...I will try it out. I should take some digital photos to work from cause my mirror is small and is stuck in one place.

Oblio - Looks awesome keep it up man.

ilex - looks awesome...love the expression

Everyone else it looks awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been a while since I did a SP.. I was bored needed to draw...

I remembered Fosters post with blue and pinks.. did my own rendition.. *shrug*

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

irritability

I have of late been plagued by the most intense form of irritability, which, if I could distill it could probably be used to remove warts, deter dogs from fouling the lawn and stop ants from invading the pantry.
    yes I know the eyes are too big again
    :hothead: duck everyone:

Oblio I think I like the two eye'd value study better than the one eyed one even if the nose is skew and the eyes are not aligned.oblio in orange, he's growling man, watch out he may snap. The nose seems further into the face than the bottom lip, but perhaps you were jutting your lip bulldog style.

ZippZopp good to see you adding backgrounds, the color combo on this one seems a bit well, sweet. The ear seems low and the viewer right side of the face is coming forward somehow. The nose sides and tip are pretty well done.

Lionel the grey hatched one seems a bit insipid yet reasonably accurate, I much prefer the minimalist one. The lines make a sort of melancholy rythm. I agree with Oblio about varying the line a bit but good job anyway

Blackhawk, eyeless one has a presence because of the lack of eyes, the mouth is weird tho. red patch in the middle one is soo different, I like a lot. Looks like the fan brush. it I like the organic crop and the warm/cool contrast. last one, very dramatic, you look starved, I can see where you muddled I think it goes all grey

killing.wacom covers himself with red streamers and then hides in the dark. you can do it. the I like the different value approach to the dark one, even though the little voices are whispering cop out. I may be wrong it's just I have done the same myself at times. good to see you around here in the new year!

Mindcandyman watch out man, you are turning into an ENT, generally the proportions need some work, on the last one your nose seems long and your forehead too short. The experimentation is refreshing tho.

Grooveholmes offerings accepted, have a happy new year too. now how about a different brush?

ilexmonitor differences can drive me up the wall(anything can at the moment) be glad you aren't printing. the white spot inbetween the eyes make the nose bridge come forward too much and the hair seems a bit flat and I think the finger nail may be a bit small. I like the orangey green colour combo on the cheek under the blue eye.

wazzo Mmm, we have your semi-undivided attention again, I like the sweater and the background best in the red sweater one, expressive bright blue lines in the post girlfriend one

Deth Jester I like the mood in the eyes and the forehead. There is a problem with the head and where it joins the neck. I think the neck looks too wide and it seems a bit twisted.

disclaimer: all opinions stated in this post, yaddayaddayadda, and should not be taken internally

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still struggling with the fact that i tend to over render stuff....these portraits take me longer than they should because of it. i've gotta try to set a limit of time for myself. anyway, here's a value study

miasmak: nice purple portrait, i think the eyes are a little big on this though. i really like that little highlight at the tip of the nose.

deth jester: cool portrait! i really like that icy blue color on the forehead

mindcandyman: i think that first one you posted has got some good potential. very cool how the face is emerging out of that texture you created. maybe a little more range in value would make it pop a bit more. keep it up

blackhawk: thats awesome! i love that one you just did. great mood to it and the fact that the eyes are blacked out really makes it stand out! great portrait

wazzo: i really enjoyed that last one you posted, very stylized and loose. nice job on that one. the second one seems a bit flat, i think the third is the strongest

oblio: i like that orange color scheme. no crits, nice portrait

ilex: sweet expression!! and the colors are great, i wish i was a bit more bold with my colors, but i just can't seem to do it...

redon634 Guest

Another one done in ZBrush. I still don't have the hang of painting on the Wacom.

ilex-love your style and colors

oblio - nice dramatic portrait. I really like that catch light in your eye, it focuses the whole portrait.

wazzo-love the chalk effect in the first one

blackhawk-I think you did pretty good here-your nose and lower forehead are popping out well

MindCandyMan - love that first one.

ZippZopp - I really like this one

How come we all look like we've just swallowed or heard something disagreeable? Must be the post-holiday blues..

redon634 Guest
    Whoops - I skipped Deth Jester and Miasmak

Deth Jester - I really like this one.

Miasmak - you conveyed your irratible mood well -great expression.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.