Art: Need some help on where to properly start out.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some help on where to properly start out.

Thankyou for at viewing my topic, I am currently studying Graphic Design/Illustration at University but really want to hone my skills in concept art, and my course isn't really focusing on what will help me.

I need to get the basic fundamentals perfected first and I don't know where to start, I've got basic understanding of perspective, but struggle with lighting and anatomy, could someone nudge me in the right direction so I can get better at properly drawing something.

I'm rubbish at wording things like this so you can check my DA and know where I am at the minute if that helps.

http://andrewrobinsonk.deviantart.com/gallery/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're already in the right direction, takes a few years of dedicated, hard work is all. Might pick up "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman as a supplement to school.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou for the reply, I'm ready to put in the hard work, I will probably start doing a lot of studies of different body parts and try and perfect the lighting, I will definitely look for that book and buy it depending on how much it is, I've just bought the fundamentals of perspective 1 2 and 3 from the Gnomon Workshop and it's really good, I know a dvd won't help as much as practicing will but it's helping me understand the rules and tools of it.

I'll post up a sketchbook sooner or later then I can journal my work and see how i'm progressing properly.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good deal - one thing I would recommend is to work from life as much as possible. Start with setting yourself up a simple still life corner with simple objects, simple light, etc. It takes both book study of concepts and techniques combined with practical application. Good luck!

Edit: Right in the very next thread is a perfect example: Still Life setup.

Last edited by JeffX99; January 14th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I take the train every day to/from university so I'll start drawing people on there, I really don't have room for that sort of set up but I will try my best to start drawing less photo reference material, as the weather gets better i'll spend more time outside too haha.

Thanks again for helping out

Members who have read this thread: 2