Thread: Angel Feathers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angel Feathers

Name:  jackieE.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  393.1 KB

she is wearing fake wings, they are not supposed to be attached to her body. Oil on canvas.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is easier for people to help you out if you also show us the picture that you used for reference. In either case you should take another look at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill try but i don't think i kept this reference photo, its my last girlfriend.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Same problems...different image.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for your useful advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gave you plenty of useful advice in two other posts. Thanks so much for acknowleding it. Also really appreciate your smart ass reply here.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Same problems...different image." Is not rude eh? ... I do appreciate feedback, but "very poorly" is a stretch, i'm not reproducing photos, i'm working with them, try looking at things objectively. I honestly do want feedback, but I question credentials, and presentation. I honestly see the problems with the forms, but I'm not drawing or doing digital art here.... I don't appreciate your smart ass reply either. What bothers me is that some people think their opinion matters more than others. Why not treat people well?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In this case, some peoples opinions do matter more than others. The difference is experience. Thats the exact point of using a crit forum isnt it?

Jeffs point is that his previous comments also apply here, and his exhasperation stems from you apparently not really taking them on board.
    If you really want to check his 'credentials' look at his work. He can paint not from some inate magical talent, but through hard work and years of trial and error, the sum of which he's trying to pass on to you. Getting pissy with someone trying to help you isnt going to make your work better. He's not getting paid to tutor you, keep that in mind.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry I do have a temper. I have tried to view said portfolios, but I think they are removed. I do appreciate the harsh criticism I get here. What I don't appreciate is egotistical replies, and being talked down too. If anyone ever wants to learn how to sell a painting, I'm right here. I don't believe in talent, or magic. It seems that said crit forum is more of a crit review. Hyper-realism is stoic, and boring. I asked whats wrong with certain color schemes, only to get completely off of the wall questions, about elbows, I will update the changes to that painting, when I get it back. I also have studied for years honing my craft, I am well aware of technical issues, and when you paint surrealism sometimes lighting must be altered. But "very poorly" is insulting, the previous work was well received except for the collaborative part, which was what my question was. I placed a painting in finally finished, to get it taken down, even though I have sold 3 to-scale giclee's of said unfinished painting. Whats even more insulting, as a career painter, and I'm not an egotist. The only reason I ask about credentials is because, I would like to know if said person actually knows what they're talking about, if there aren't credentials, or a large body of figurative work, then said person is not a critic, and should not take place in criticisms. Can anyone tell me about muscle groups, ratios, actual lengths and rules, instead of simply saying "proportions are all wrong", i'm simply wondering if you know what the proportions are, could said person tell me the eyes in a head the head in a body, the 2/5 or 3/5 or any useful number or information? Take a look again at my other work, lets review the criticism, the tit is a bit low, the head is not at the same position as the photo, your right arm is out of place, there is nothing wrong with the elbow...... Not "it's very poorly executed, lighting is all wrong, or its terrible", and in these cases it appears the statements were intended to be insulting, and were not helpful in anyway, they completely avoided the questions at hand. Angel feathers is one of my studies, When I find the photo, I'm sure well find a similar occurence, instead of telling me about my eyes, and fingers, its "the whole thing is wrong"

Thank you for your time,
    Cedric C.

Name:  Night sky 2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  365.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i made up the foot, and the leg, but no one noticed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey look - I gave you concise but objective feedback based on my perceptions of your work. I'll say it again, you have interesting ideas but your stuff is caught between naive/ primitive and poorly executed realism. it is unpleasant to look at for me but hey, I find a lot of "art" unpleasant to look at. The "fine art" gallery world and museums are full of badly drawn, poorly painted crap. If you're doing well with your sales and in galleries keep on keepin on. If you want to improve your work then do that. I would suggest some serious study of fundamentals from life. It isn't rocket science.

Edit: On the made up foot and leg - no one told you you mean...I noticed. You have to be really careful about people blowing smoke up your ass.

Edit II: (for anyone who cares) I always find it funny that as long as comments are what you want to hear you could care less if they come from a plumber, a mechanic, a janitor or someone selling you overpriced coffee...but the minute an informed point of view based on experience has anything critical to point out (in an effort to help no less) you suddenly want advanced credentials...you want focused, detailed analysis and "how to fix what I can't even see is wrong".

Not to mention...roll this around for a minute...why would I, or anyone else, come at you from an insulting, egotistical point of view? Really, think about that...what possible motivation would there be? None.

And yeah, "it's surrealism so it can suck" is probably not the justification you should use in defense of your work.

Last edited by JeffX99; January 21st, 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah the style of crit you get tends to be curt because people are busy, and tends to be negative because the good stuff doesnt require fixing and so doesnt feature.

therefore it tends to sound like a string of negative comments. thats just the art director way im afraid. what works is taken as read and what doesnt is nailed to the wall. and if its not fixed in the next iteration its nailed again more forcefully. simples.

also, think on the discrepancy between art directed design work and fine art; perhaps there are other forums where the crit is more about the subtle meanings of the piece in the modern post industrial context or whatever, but we dont as a rule give a shit about that, we're only interested in perspective, anatomy, surface, etc. I know absolutely nothing about art (but i know what i like) and so anything I said on it would be more confusing than useful to you I expect.
    .That said, studying JS Sargent cant hurt.

if you want someone to tell you its amazing and wonderful, show it to your mum, but if you really want bugs in how your work reads isolated and tips on how to get rid of them, crit forum.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 21st, 2013 at 12:20 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, at first I dont even know if this is oil painting, please dont use PS to kill off the color and make it B/W, at fist I thought this is pencil or charcoal, so would you please post a picture that as close to the original as possible?

<<<I R LUMINA R I>>>

How I eat pen everyday aka ma Sketchbook.

http://fxevo.blogspot.com/ The blog of city wanderer.
    Facebook: Duc. Truong Huyen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that was poetic and beautiful, some honesty. My mother hates everything I paint. I do not want someone to tell me its perfect, i'm well aware its not, but i simply ask that we use our eyes and the correct terms. It gets confusing when dumb questions are asked. I've started a new series of surrealist work, and In 3 months time I'll have perfect nudes. I'll post take a look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not one to act like an expert, I can clearly see whats wrong with my work, lots of things, and what needs to be done technically, but apparently, other people with less experience take it upon themselves to act as experts, and give wrong/insulting advice, which if followed acts more as sabotage. I asked for credentials because, copy paste criticism is a sign of ignorance? or maybe trolling the forums all day means your very busy.... and as i recall you called me a smart ass. Yes I'm young, but I'm not your child. And again, please do not come at me from an egotistical, and insulting point of view....and I don't think you noticed the legs honestly, but only you'll ever know. Now throwing together, that the entirety of everything is terrible- repaint it, is not even an opinion, your not saying whats wrong, just throwing out a list of phrases you learned. This specific form of surrealism appeals to the changing social demographic with a statistical turnover within the next 20 years, my analyst gave me correct pricing and projections for these particular kinds of work, which appeal to a largely hispanic audience/ females, both of which are the target markets within the next 3 years. For my work "the entombment" im looking for a white male age 45.... And also, as I recall, surrealism is the ultimate form of art, combining both technical skill and subjective interpretation, I'm not the expert here, but I sure don't act like it either. Often whats missing is what ties a work together, makes it interesting, creates movement, and interpretive meaning. Copy and pasting things that photos can do(photos can do, mind you), creates that stoic boring sensation from classical works, that are best left to be interpreted by the historians. What I find funny is, works that I hate or that turn out badly, like "the entombment", meant to be a way to communicate with my peers, in their terms.... become so popular that I can't fight promoting them. I'll re-post a different photo of the nude at a later stage. Name:  nude.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  89.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  coart.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  117.5 KB

I don't think I used PS to kill he color, though it does look that way at the other photo. oil on canvas.

Sorry im not a photographer.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    less talk more drawing please

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah...keep talking man.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wroeththo - I hesitated to say this, but I'm afraid you are starting to sound rather like a petulant child. You are not paying the people here for their time. You don't actually get to dictate that critique be done in a way that you approve of; you will get critique here based on the things we think are important, not necessarily what you think is important (I myself, can't take my eye off that bloody elbow, which you have not painted accurately or even to match your reference (and don't even get me started on the fact that you seem to have painted in an extra elbow joint instead of a shoulder there)). If you don't like how the forum operates, don't post here. Simple as that.

You don't have to agree with all critique, or incorporate it into you work. But when you start asking for credentials, well, you come across as arrogant and (trust me here), that will turn people off from wanting to help you out.

D'Arcy

25. The Following User Says Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.