Looking for your input!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for your input!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for your input!

Hey members,

I'm an aspiring toy designer currently working through my capstone project in product design.

I've chosen to concept out and prototype a game & accompanying toy line, then to bridge the two. I'm extremely excited about the idea, and I won't post too much detail until it's been finished and presented. The basic setting and components will have to wait until I can collect some information.

Its no secret that a lot of companies like to appeal to the broadest possible audience, so I'm going to develop the storyline on a topic that strikes a chord with a large group of people.

I could use your thoughts! I've put together a pretty quick 10-question survey, and would greatly appreciate some of your creative input:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZMDR532

If things go smoothly, I'll be posting some updates here as well.

Thanks!

-Blake

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    .... are you trying to design a game by asking random people random questions, or is this another case of veiled homework ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    .... are you trying to design a game by asking random people random questions, or is this another case of veiled homework ?
    It's 'homework' as I'm currently a student, but it's entirely self-directed. The questions aren't along the lines of game design specifically, but just to gather information that will help me conceptualize with a relatable theme. In fact, I don't have anything to show just yet; this is all preliminary.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    questionaires wtf?

" Its no secret that a lot of companies like to appeal to the broadest possible audience, so I'm going to develop the storyline on a topic that strikes a chord with a large group of people."

boy meets girl. go draw.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah a questionnaire isn't going to get you what you want. You'll get vague generalizations and unless the scope of the questions is narrow enough probably not much useful info enough to render a decision it'll basically be just you making a decision in the end.

What would help would be to ask yourself things like what your target audience first, you can't just make something for everyone, or if your going to try look at some existing examples of them and then ask why they're popular? Harry Potter for instance. Strikes a chord with all crowds. Why? For little kids.... hmm... makes school less dull, aka I wanna go there, magic obviously all cool and attention grabbing etc etc..... older kids, they can appreciate all the previous stuff, interesting costume work and culture, and enjoy the story itself, adults all of the above but can enjoy the intricacies of the story, the mythology and other things those of a younger age might not care about or miss.

When trying to create a story, just general storytelling and mythology is fun and interesting to research.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    questionaires wtf?

" Its no secret that a lot of companies like to appeal to the broadest possible audience, so I'm going to develop the storyline on a topic that strikes a chord with a large group of people."

boy meets girl. go draw.
    If your creative process is to draw without any kind of forethought, more power to you. This is a design project, not an art project.

Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Yeah a questionnaire isn't going to get you what you want. You'll get vague generalizations and unless the scope of the questions is narrow enough probably not much useful info enough to render a decision it'll basically be just you making a decision in the end.

What would help would be to ask yourself things like what your target audience first, you can't just make something for everyone, or if your going to try look at some existing examples of them and then ask why they're popular? Harry Potter for instance. Strikes a chord with all crowds. Why? For little kids.... hmm... makes school less dull, aka I wanna go there, magic obviously all cool and attention grabbing etc etc..... older kids, they can appreciate all the previous stuff, interesting costume work and culture, and enjoy the story itself, adults all of the above but can enjoy the intricacies of the story, the mythology and other things those of a younger age might not care about or miss.

When trying to create a story, just general storytelling and mythology is fun and interesting to research.
    I'm pretty well versed in demographics, target consumers/population, and that will come later. (Although I did request age on my survey). You're spot on though, these are key. Just not there yet. Mythology though, I haven't looked at that. Obviously those stories have resonated with a huge audience. thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you base your design on what most people agree with, its going to be just another clone of whatever, or a mix of several whatevers. a watered down, mushy and boring product. invention hardly is (or should be) a democratic process.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're right - quick survey. I'll offer some recommendations in a bit that may be of interest. OK...some things you might want to check out:

Wayne Barlowe's "Expedition"
    Christopher Vogler's book "The Writer's Journey" - a framework for understanding and creating mythic story based on the work of Joseph Campbell
    "Starmaker" and "Last and First Men" by Olaf Stapledon (dry writing but fantastic concepts of alien life and future evolution)
    "Skylark" and "Chronicles of the Lensmen" series by E.E. Doc Smith (fun cheesy writing from the thirties full of wild alien strangeness and one of the best descriptions of an adventure in an alternate dimension)
    "Amber Chronicles" by Zelazny (just awesome stuff...heroic stuff...brilliant worldbuilding...great powers in conflict...can't recommend highly enough)

Most of those are just suggestions based on some of your survey questions. Either way all good stuff to inform and inspire for future projects. Good luck!

Last edited by JeffX99; January 14th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    You're right - quick survey. I'll offer some recommendations in a bit that may be of interest. OK...some things you might want to check out:

Wayne Barlowe's "Expedition"
    Christopher Vogler's book "The Writer's Journey" - a framework for understanding and creating mythic story based on the work of Joseph Campbell
    "Starmaker" and "Last and First Men" by Olaf Stapledon (dry writing but fantastic concepts of alien life and future evolution)
    "Skylark" and "Chronicles of the Lensmen" series by E.E. Doc Smith (fun cheesy writing from the thirties full of wild alien strangeness and one of the best descriptions of an adventure in an alternate dimension)
    "Amber Chronicles" by Zelazny (just awesome stuff...heroic stuff...brilliant worldbuilding...great powers in conflict...can't recommend highly enough)

Most of those are just suggestions based on some of your survey questions. Either way all good stuff to inform and inspire for future projects. Good luck!
    Excellent! thank you so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find EE Doc Smith unreadibly old fashioned and corny, but Starmaker is as modern as ever. Zelazny's amazing.

"If your creative process is to draw without any kind of forethought, more power to you. This is a design project, not an art project."

Sometimes drawing without thought ccan work, but I am a designer, I always work to a brief. Ive never used a questionniare when planning my projects, except in university. I'm not even sure why people think a questionnaire is a good way to start a project, or who circulates this idea. I guess its a sort of kids version of a focus group, which are notoriously useless, but youd learn more just reading.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 14th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    I find EE Doc Smith unreadibly old fashioned and corny, but Starmaker is as modern as ever. Zelazny's amazing.
    Oh Smith totally is! When I first started reading EED Smith many years ago I had the same reaction right away...first few pages...then I simply put aside any critical voice and just tried to enjoy it for it's dated, silly charm - I only read it now with a smile on my face! Makes me chuckle right now...because I know there is a more powerful level of ray that will cut through any shields conceived of in our own galaxy! The guy never wrote himself in a corner 'cause he could always amp it up to the Nth degree!

Anyway VK...might be worth another try!?

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha maybe i will give it another go!
    sorry to the OP for once again diverting a thread into talking about old science fiction, i think we already have a thread for this ill dig it out.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.