Orc Card WIP
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Orc Card WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Orc Card WIP

So I've been asked to design a series of illustrations to fit onto some playing cards featuring a series of creatures and monsters. I've got pretty free reign on this project so I've decided to try m shot at designing an Orc first.

For this though I didn't want a generic image of an overly fed or muscle bound square mass, I wanted to design the Orc to be more skinny, battle hardened and nomadic, I always envisioned them as being a clusterfuck of tribal feuds as opposed to one large battle ready society. So I've tried to give him a more tribal look, whilst also not making him look too human.

I initially did a few sketches just to make sure this was the design style I wanted to take, but ended up picking the following

Name:  Orc initial sketch.png
Views: 207
Size:  43.1 KB

I tried cleaning it up resulting in this:

Name:  554833_10151118258963058_229452100_n.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  62.7 KB

But at this point it still felt too human, I decided to go back to the sketch and try twisiting some of his dimensions some, lengthening the arms as well as widening and lengthening the neck. Which has led me to this:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 14.06.25.png
Views: 196
Size:  189.1 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 14.36.45.png
Views: 197
Size:  390.4 KB

I'd just like to know if there's anything jarring or something that could be improved before I continue on with it, so comments and critique are greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the thought of not making them typical bulky orcs.

The sketch itself makes me feel as if he'll break himself in half at the waist, maybe because the neck is supermuscular and the chest doesn't match it. I suggest a bit bigger chest muscles (pecs) to match the neck or a less muscular neck.
    I like the general design of it, though

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.