Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan.v.D. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.v.D. View Post
    conceptart was always shit. eatpoo was where it's at
    Hipster!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Wow! I wonder how I missed that one...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing stays the same in 5 years, for better or worse. I think CA has changed a lot but it's not necessarily getting worse.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, there's always cgsociety if you don't feel CA.

We'll be good without.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    When the site was down I did a bit of googling. It was interesting to see opinions of the site posted elsewhere. Majority of people tend to think we're scary and the talent here is amazing, making them afraid to join. The flip side was that this was a great place to get critique and the members are pretty honest. Would you say that was a bad assessment of the place? When I joined it was the attitude and character of the members here that attracted me - no mealy mouthed sycophants.
    I admit. If I had not visited sketchbooks and the community center instead of say art discussion or the lounge I would have joined up here. Not because im scared of people being better then me, which is just silly to me XD. But because of how shamelessly rude some of the regular peacocks of those sections are. Major turn off for me. But luckily I found a thread where Jason Rainvill mentored someone and he let littleol'me play as well and I promised myself that I would pay it forward (Im pretty sure my first post was along the lines of me doing that).
    Since then Ive learned alot and meet the most awesome people, outside of the general threads, some of whom I can happily call my friends ^^. I've looked at some of the older stuff and I regret not finding this place earlier some of the old shit is so cool (vector challenge and super stylized challenge *starry eyes*), and I may be shut down for saying this, but alot of the comments in some books seemed more genuine. But Im not one to sulk about it. I do believe we can change that, just 'be the change' as they say.
    So hopefully other people, especially those who are like me, visit those sections before they find the general stuff and they stay and help better CA! When I become one of those epic artists that can inspire other people to join in the journey, ill be sure to send people this way and liven this place up!! LETS DO IT!

Also wouldn't hurt if there were more notices when this place went down, or with errors and such. Even some of the mods had to play guessing games, in recent events. And I felt bad for her, she was trying hard to inform people and keep people up to date. Also Im stupid enough to use CA as a base for my group so its nice to have better communication in such events. (would also help with the 'be the change' thing, whose a fan of iffy sites)

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you know i dont think ive seen anyone be really rude in SBs. maybe a little awkward or bigheaded, but everyones human, and never for very long and never mean or prickish. sure in the lounge, why not, but ive found people to be 100% business in SBs and even more so in FF. maybe i got lucky tho.
    i always liked that, seperation of church and state; like, have big crazy arguements in the Lounge, but be totally over any emotional shit when it comes to the things we all agree on artwise.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I dont think CA has lost its touch. It touched me in my no no place just last night.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    show me where on the doll

[Most users ever online was 15,674, May 12th, 2012 at 07:21 AM.]

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 13th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wingal, there is an old art school tradition of giving, and receiving, incredibly rude critique. In some schools, it is a mark of pride to take a savage beat-down and walk away gracefully, having learned something in the bargain. It's a sort of Sparta mentality, and some reckon it's sign of an elite performer. Also, it's a Darwinian, red-in-tooth-and-claw way of thinning the herd.

In a way, it's good prep for working life. Where, believe me, clients can be utterly graceless and tactless in their criticisms. I occasionally found myself thinking, "look at me! I'm keeping my temper! Thank you, art school!"

As you can tell from my sig line, however, I'm not entirely on board with this school of critique.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    Also wouldn't hurt if there were more notices when this place went down, or with errors and such.
    That whole mess with the crazy errors and warnings and unexpected shutdowns was because of a major hacker attack. I don't think they could have warned us about it in advance - it's not like they planned to be attacked.

It's just life on the Internet. These things happen. Even Google has unexpected glitches sometimes.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It isn't that it has lost it's touch. I want to be touched in new, exciting ways.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So I looked through all your SB and left a comment. Is that exciting enough? Be careful how you reply.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The greatest thing about this site was that industry professionals regularly posted here. It was very inspirational to see the work these people produced and also to see new talent emerge. Besides a few users like PrometheusANJ and robogabo, most don't post here anymore. So not many people to look up to. However this site still seems more active than any other art community out there (deviantart being the probable exception).

Last edited by DanijelC; January 13th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    So I looked through all your SB and left a comment. Is that exciting enough? Be careful how you reply.
    As much as I really do appreciate that, it isn't what I meant. I just find the forum in need of a big face lift when it comes to following threads and such. The forum needs a way for us to more efficiently follow thread updates. A portal wouldn't be too bad either.

I dunno what you meant with "be careful how you reply" btw.

Last edited by ConnyNordlund; January 19th, 2013 at 02:05 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ConnyNordlund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnyNordlund View Post
    I just find the forum in need of a big face lift when it comes to following threads and such. The forum needs a way for us to more efficiently follow thread updates. A portal wouldn't be too bad either.
    I was thinking it would be cool if the site could showcase some of the top-thanked posts (of the day/week/month/ever, or something), maybe on the front page, so we could more easily see some of the really helpful critique being left in various areas of the site. It would also be nice to be able to follow specific users who have a record of leaving really insightful comments or posting quality work.

Also a thread or subforum where people can make suggestions (in terms of features but also general ideas for activities and such), like the ones in this thread, would be cool. I feel like this comes up repeatedly, that people have ideas about where the site should be going or something specific that we could really use, but it's not really in one single place where we can positively discuss possibilities; they're spread around in threads that are otherwise a tad whiny and are therefore overlooked.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a newbie here I too find CA a little intimidating, but I was brave enough to just start a sketchbook. Other than sketchbooks... Like someone else said, I'm not too sure what's going on like, 100% of the time! Haha! But I'm kind of okay with that, I think I am slowly learning, very slowly, mind you!

One thing I found slightly disappointing was some of the tutorials, specifically one about digital painting that was so old none of the photos were showing any more. To me, that made that specific tutorial worthless because I really needed those pics to understand what they were talking about. There's a lot of these helpful posts, but most of them are broken (photos no longer showing).

It might be nice for a knowledgable artist to go through these and possibly recreate them. Just an idea.

So far, even though people are saying that it's not as cool anymore, I find it plenary cool and spend hours going through sketchbook after sketchbook to read the comments and drool over some of the amazing work that is posted.

Needless to say CA has given me a huge creative boost and the urge to get back into art. And a place to "hang out" if you will.

-AdrienneRose-

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrienneRose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we waited for the 4.0 update for years. now that it's here, what has it actually improved? i haven't spent enough time here since the update to notice any practical changes. one thing i have noticed, is the change in colour scheme. maybe some people prefer cold grey, that's cool. as far as i'm concerned, concrete flavour has nothing on the good old coffee-style colour scheme. the vibe isn't as nice as it once was

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cold grey? Check your monitor, yo. I'm seeing shades of beige on multiple devices.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    But because of how shamelessly rude some of the regular peacocks of those sections are. Major turn off for me.
    Maybe it's just me but what I find rude is when people go out of their way to offer their critique and insight and there is no thanks, no comment...no response. Well done: Another wasted critique.

And if anyone is wondering, this is the kind of thing that causes pros to abandon CA.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Wingal, there is an old art school tradition of giving, and receiving, incredibly rude critique. In some schools, it is a mark of pride to take a savage beat-down and walk away gracefully, having learned something in the bargain. It's a sort of Sparta mentality, and some reckon it's sign of an elite performer. Also, it's a Darwinian, red-in-tooth-and-claw way of thinning the herd.

In a way, it's good prep for working life. Where, believe me, clients can be utterly graceless and tactless in their criticisms. I occasionally found myself thinking, "look at me! I'm keeping my temper! Thank you, art school!"

As you can tell from my sig line, however, I'm not entirely on board with this school of critique.
    Just like to add that in reality, clients won't bother with reasons, and ADs won't bother with critique if they don't feel you're worth the effort.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/j...11103#comments

I think theres an awful lot of melodrama and crybabery here, but some of the things that consistently pop out to me from these peoples comments:

comments arnt super critical, theyre now asspats unlike olden times
    famous artists have left, and they were the big draw
    crtitiques arnt harsh enough
    critiques are too harsh
    too many egos not enough skills
    elitsm. im not sure what that means.

is CA really broken? i dont have any clue about this supposed big rift between CA and the people who used to post here, it seems everyone knows all about it except me, but I do remember that Mike Corriero guy and he seems pretty negative about it these days. Not sure why. also where did they go? Its not exactly the most interesting subject unless you were there i guess; artists falling out with other artists yawn, but if there was a special magic to early CA maybe it can be emulated.. i only really go in SBs, lounge and crits so i dont have a great feel for it all over, and come back because I like the SBs so much. what do you guys think?

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 13th, 2013 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Cold grey? Check your monitor, yo. I'm seeing shades of beige on multiple devices.
    i do see a little beige, and it's nothing like the old school coffee brown that i remember viewing through the same monitor i'm using now. the current scheme feels lifeless

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    is CA really broken? i dont have any clue about this supposed big rift between CA and the people who used to post here, it seems everyone knows all about it except me, but I do remember that Mike Corriero guy and he seems pretty negative about it these days. Not sure why. also where did they go? Its not exactly the most interesting subject unless you were there i guess; artists falling out with other artists yawn, but if there was a special magic to early CA maybe it can be emulated..
    hearing about it surprised me too as i wasn't around when it happened. i was directed to this page which shed some light on what apparently happened. it's a biased article and reads as such, but does help to understand their overall point of view. hopefully i won't get banned for posting that..

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nerds...
    thanks for the link max

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see why some people may think this, but I think it's just that everyone was so used to seeing the people posting who've now moved on, left the website etc. and the "new" people taking their place aren't being fully noticed yet... if that makes sense?

I'd never say I've been an active member at any time on this website, I've got to know a few people from here but not very well. Although I've been on the site for quite a few years now, since I was a young teenager! I had similar experiences to what the newer members are saying, I felt extremely intimidated about signing up after seeing so much amazing artwork, for a while I was a lurker. Then I came across so many different threads that were amazing, the "goldmine" as people have described it here. I still have word documents full of things I copy/pasted from threads on here!

And to add what JeffX99 said, about pro's giving people crits and really good advice and getting nothing back. I remember being so angry at people when I saw they were doing that, and wishing they'd realise how lucky they were that they took the time to comment on their work with good, solid advice... I was also a bit jealous, I won't lie!

I do think some areas of the site could do with preening, such as possibly deleting threads which no longer have any use, like the ones with broken images/no longer relevant. I'd never say it was losing touch though. I always find myself coming back here, even if it's been a year or so since my last visit. I tried CGHub for a while, but it didn't have the same feel as here. Also, the knockback in population hasn't been felt in some sections of the forum, sketchbooks are still updated so quickly! I also remember jason showing us how the new website would look like, with this new update everyone was talking about, but I don't think that ever came about? It could have been TAD actually, I can;t really remember the details!

Oh, just thought of something else... I hope the streaming classes and downloads will be available again soon! I can't watch half of the streaming classes I bought because they're no longer avalable, which is sad because of how good they were, and the money I paid for them. I really need to rewatch them!

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I had similar experiences to what the newer members are saying, I felt extremely intimidated about signing up after seeing so much amazing artwork, for a while I was a lurker. Then I came across so many different threads that were amazing, the "goldmine" as people have described it here. I still have word documents full of things I copy/pasted from threads on here!"

totally. the thing that i really liked was it was people of all abilities adding their own progress, i really liked the vibe of everyone doing their own thing but in it together. i liked that camaeraderie. years later i totally still do.
    and how good everyone was (is) really inspired me, it was (is) so cool to talk to serious artists. i think it was Bill carmen who said about he didnt have any coffeeshops full of art geeks to meet up in so this was the substitute which i think is spot on.
    i think your right about how big names have moved on, got very busy, had kids, moved on with their lives, but think there are lots of great artists here. check out the Weapons of Mass Creation link in my signature, i grabbed a lot of random work from a few months period and put it all in one place so i could refer back to it and give props to things that i personally, liked. just a thread of 100% dope work done by folks here. it totally blows my mind, and thats just from one short window of time, theres been like 5 threads of that size in work volume posted since i made it, at least, and its only stuff that appealed to my personal taste. other people could compile 20 threads of their faves i bet...

that tells me all this talk is just kids growing into adults and feeling nostaliga for the first time, amplified by the internet.
    its as good as the people. as long as theres loads of good folk doing their thing and kicking ass, itll be fine.

by the way put your sketchbook link in your signature and people can click through to your work and say hello.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    People come people go. No one will like the site for everything.

I kind of laughed at some of the posts saying beginners should never start here at CA.org. That they'll be torched and most can't handle that. That's the one thing I thank Conceptart.org for more than anything and one of the only things I think that's been vanishing. People were polite but they flat out told me the truth not many asspats from the more experienced artists. I remember on my first account which I had for like a year before losing the password and email I used it with I had some people just flat out tell me "Stop blaming your reference, stop blaming the lighting. Your just not at that skill level yet. Just keep practicing though and you'll get there". Which for my little beginner mind who thought I was awesome it didn't understand. Then finally I grew a pair and realized constructive criticism is just that. They're pointing out things that will help me. Will all crits be right? No. Do I give them a thought? Yep.

That and the only real difference I see is simply a few of the better known artists are gone or some of the founders aren't around as much for posting actual art, tutorials etc. But at the same time there have been plenty of lesser knowns that pop up out of nowhere that blow me away.

The elitism comments make me think a bit too. Because I remember I used to for awhile early on think the same way. Then I improved a bit, started reading more, and suddenly my entire view started to shift and realize. "Oh wow...... ... those people....... .... I kind of.... agree with now."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

your not going to like this

The only over all problem with CA is any risks taken will be critiqued and differing taste will be confronted as well. I always recommend CA to anybody that wants to pursue art. I just give them that little disclaimer. But that's what happens when you ask a bunch of strangers for a crit. You might get some people telling you why they don't like your art as apposed to how to improve it. This issue can seriously impair creativity.

Not saying this community has a linear since of quality, but some prominent members do. This makes it easy to get a bad impression and bail. In order to keep the quality where it once was or evolving, trying new things and experimenting is important to keep things fresh.

I personally have lost interest in sharing my work here because if I disagree with a crit I get stuck in a shit and piss storm of haters hating because they don't get it. Make of that what you will.

All I can say is the next James Jean or Phil Hale will never ever come from the crit center. Ever. But at least there are plenty of Kekai's and Feng Zhu's in it's future. Which is way more than can be said for the average art school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrienneRose View Post
    One thing I found slightly disappointing was some of the tutorials, specifically one about digital painting that was so old none of the photos were showing any more. To me, that made that specific tutorial worthless because I really needed those pics to understand what they were talking about. There's a lot of these helpful posts, but most of them are broken (photos no longer showing).

It might be nice for a knowledgable artist to go through these and possibly recreate them. Just an idea.
    I'd second that. It's a shame how many missing images and dead links there are in some of the old threads. Maybe there should be some kind of restoration-project thread to supply replacement images for the old tutorials. For that matter I wonder if any of the original creators of the content still have it archived somewhere.

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2