Sketchbook: rappdg's sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

rappdg's sketchbook

Hi guys and gals!

I'm a 26 years old web application developer and I just started drawing again.

Growing up, I was always interested in comic book art and anime art and I drew like there was no tomorrow when I was a kid. But when I did not see any improvements when I was around 14 years of age, I gave up drawing entirely and was so frustrated ever since. And when I was in my senior year in high school I took up an IT course since people told me that that's where the money is.

Fast forward around my third year in college, I tried doing pixel art and for about a year I did it and I made a little progress but I soon was frustrated again and suddenly stopped again.

Fast forward today I decided that I need to be better in arts overall so I bought a sketchpad, 3 pencils, 2 erasers and a sharpener. I also bought the book "Drawing on the right side of the brain" and it was a good refresher course since I basically am starting from scratch and it also made me see my bad habits.

So far this is what I have done best (I know its not much since people here are so awesome):
    Name:  robin.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  256.5 KB

If hope you guys recognize who that is LOL.

So now I am starting to read Loomis's books and I hope its not that too late for me to be something or at least be someone who can express whats in my mind through drawing accurately.

Last edited by rappdg; February 2nd, 2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My old pixel works:

rappdg's sketchbook

rappdg's sketchbook

rappdg's sketchbook

rappdg's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the community, awesome drawing! Cant wait to see more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikrus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! But I did not draw this from my mind, I copied this from a video game preview art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Sketch... I don't have a scanner so I have to shoot it with my crappy phone camera.

Some critique would be greatly appreciated

Name:  2face.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  278.7 KB

Last edited by rappdg; February 2nd, 2013 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA! Let me first start by saying that it's NEVER too late to start back up with anything, especially art, and even then 26 really isn't THAT old . For someone who hasn't drawn for a while, you have a good sense of form and a good eye for drawing from reference (I'm assuming you looked at the art you drew instead of tracing it). Loomis is a great start to serious drawing. It's where I started and so did most. Depending on how devoted you want to be to getting better, the number one thing I tend to suggest beginners start learning is fundamental perspective, since perspective will inform every aspect of drawing that you attempt. But everything's open to you. Just have fun and don't get frustrated. Everyone's here to help and as long as you put in the work, you can be sure that you'll get better. Keep up the good work!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrenik View Post
    Welcome to CA! Let me first start by saying that it's NEVER too late to start back up with anything, especially art, and even then 26 really isn't THAT old . For someone who hasn't drawn for a while, you have a good sense of form and a good eye for drawing from reference (I'm assuming you looked at the art you drew instead of tracing it). Loomis is a great start to serious drawing. It's where I started and so did most. Depending on how devoted you want to be to getting better, the number one thing I tend to suggest beginners start learning is fundamental perspective, since perspective will inform every aspect of drawing that you attempt. But everything's open to you. Just have fun and don't get frustrated. Everyone's here to help and as long as you put in the work, you can be sure that you'll get better. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks Man! I think I'll follow your suggestion and try to draw perspective pieces and yes this drawings are not traced but I'm terribly slow when I drew this drawings. I'm very happy that I found this forum since I really enjoy seeing other people's art and people here are extremely good LOL.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is supposedly Emma Stone, oh how I failed miserably lol!Name:  IMAG0307.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  268.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The likeness is pretty good, especially in the eyes, but the head overall has a lack in construction and anatomy. Ever heard of Michael Hampton? His book Figure Drawing: Design and Invention is KILLER for examining how to go about constructing the human figure as if it were a mechanical object, which forces you to actively think about how to construct it instead of just drawing the contour or outlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have that book yet although I have read Loomi's book about hand and heads and so far here is my progress:
    Name:  IMAG0312.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  270.2 KB

Although I can certainly say that this is better in terms of structure, this does not look like Emma Stone at all, this drawing looks like a lady in her 40's or something.

What did I do wrong here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda messed up the hair, but I really think that this is better structurally. Finally I'm getting Loomis's method of construction.

C&C away guys!!

Name:  emma.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  305.1 KB

Last edited by rappdg; February 2nd, 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another villain from batman:

Loomi's method really helps even for cartoon looking villains!!

Name:  joker.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  361.5 KB

Last edited by rappdg; February 2nd, 2013 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some good stuff. I'll like too see more

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EduM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks EduM! I will definitely post more as soon as I finish them!

Need to practice perspective though....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you know...I have almost the same "story" like you . About pencil drawings...cause I don't understand character and figure drawing at all, I can just say - on my humble opinion it is a really good start! Looking forward to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks Classmate! I'm just starting to learn heads and I still don't know anything about the human figure (bodies) so I'm just trying my best.

As soon as I'm comfortable with heads and perspective, I'll move on to human figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice, especially considering you been out of it for a few years. The proportions of the faces are coming around great. Maybe the eyes of the women are a bit big, but who can resist those big pretty eyes. Too bad the pictures aren't very clear so I cannot see all the pencil lines. If the originals are as light as the pictures, I suggest you put more pressure on the pencil for the darker shades (or use a softer pencil for those parts). Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have a scanner? It would be a massive benefit for uploading the drawings. Looks like you've made awesome progress already though! If I were you I would get out there and draw people on the street, draw yourself in the mirror.. All from observation. I have found that this has hugely helped me with my progression. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks rottjers! It looks light because I took those pictures using a crappy phone camera, I still don't have a scanner so I have to do with those too. Your right about the eyes they really look too big and I'm working on it .

Thanks Theo Mack! I'll try going outside soon! I think your referring to gesture drawings?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not sure if it is due to the poor photo quality but it looks like your drawings are missing some values. Meaning no real dark (black) and light (white or nearly white) areas. Also, it seems to be missing some really defined areas, like hard edges and stuff.

I suggest taking your photos near the window (natural light) when it's day time. It really helps the photos to be "less crappy".

I think they look pretty good though!

I started reading Andrew Loomis: Figure Drawing for all it's Worth. I really like it so far. It's been helping me with body proportions.

I just got Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, haven't opened it yet (got it from the library) but what do you think of it?

Thanks for stopping by my Sketchbook!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, thanks for commenting my sketchbook dude ! I only got one thing to say : draw as much as you can, do quick sketch, do long drawings, do everything, and study perspective, because there is perspective everywhere ( even on the anatomy ... ) so keep working really hard until your drawings roooooocks ! and then you can start painting .... Cheers dude !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks AdrienneRose! I still kinda suck in shading so maybe that's why or I don't know what tools I need since I only user a pencil (3 variations). About the book, I don't think people here need it as much as I do since you guys are awesome already, basically the book trains the reader to draw what they see and not draw symbols of what they are.

@kikindaface I did not comment on your sketchbook but I checked it out just now and I was so impressed by how you drew lines and how great you are at representing form even without shadings. Thanks for stopping by though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rappdg View Post
    Thanks AdrienneRose! I still kinda suck in shading so maybe that's why or I don't know what tools I need since I only user a pencil (3 variations). About the book, I don't think people here need it as much as I do since you guys are awesome already, basically the book trains the reader to draw what they see and not draw symbols of what they are.

Well you can do basically everything (nearly anyway) with a 2B (regular writing pencil), and you can get VERY dark with it, and VERY light. If you're not ready to go out and buy a set.

With books, I think that they're good for ALL artists. Sometimes people who are already awesome need some reminding too. It's good to refresh oneself with the basics every once in a while. Especially when exploring a new medium.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  hathaway.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  235.8 KB
    Another attempt...

Last edited by rappdg; February 2nd, 2013 at 03:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    King leonidas:

Kinda disappointed of the outcome but practice is still practice.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  351.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tried to draw a quick sketch from my mind and it looked awful lol.

Name:  Scan.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  237.6 KBName:  Scan2.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  222.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Name:  Scan4.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  267.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm happy that the picture quality of your drawings got better, those older ones from the beginning were not doing you any justice. I'd say that you do a good job on capturing the expression of the person. I like the joker drawing that you got there. I would say that you could definitely improve on the construction of the faces, and your line quality. I could recommend what my art teacher used to make me do, which is running a lines straight across a piece of paper to get more precision. Eventually you should try push your values some more as well. I think it's really cool that you're picking up drawing again! Stick with it, and you will see improvement! (also those Naruto pixel drawings are cool)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1