Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: down in bowery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

down in bowery

So I will post my stuff my daily digital
    I have a tumblr but I think I should get in the habit of publishing my digital work daily as over the last month I have been getting more comfortable with the digital medium so all the digital work I do I will post to this thread for my daily digital sketchbook. I am 17 and of course an aspiring designer /artist hybrid

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  21.9 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hobbes.x54BB; January 13th, 2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: more efficient to scroll through my blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  jdjjd.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  23.0 KB
    I can see alot of mistakes and actually I spent longer on this than any of the other renderings but there is nothing to do but keep calm and carry on and this is where I am as of january 13 2013 so thats it for today I'll make tomorows better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  jan152013.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  18.9 KB
    I feel kinda bad I will get better at rendering and controling my tablet with time on the bright side I did some anatomy studies although this blog is just digital mabye I will do some tomorow or some meory stuff also I need to corect my sleaping patterns tired at 1 am damn I usually work till 4 am so yea in 3 weeks I'll see how my skeetchbookwill look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  gradation1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  40.5 KB
    1 so today I did some bridgeman studies and yes I know I did not do anything yesterday but I did get a bunch of stuff sorted out which is great like all my old drawing stuff
    2 what I learned from the study today which I kinda already knew but should iterate in this reflection of the daily stuff was how brushes in photoshop behave in comparison to how traditional mediums behave. so take 3 mediums traditionally and for grayscale sketching because that is the focus so take markers and chalk so if one had a set of 10 grayscale markers and they tried to get a gradient it would be difficult because the edges of the markers would not blend and one would need to pick a set of 100 swatches so in photoshop this would be the equivalent of using a hard brush or something and then a soft brush can be used to make soft gradients so smooth transitions now this is about the brushes capacity

which raises the question what is the utility of different brushes so for now because I will prolly reexamine it as I progress as a painter
    1 hard brushes -used to blocking in shapes, and block in planes
    2 soft brushes - used to get smooth gradients

now with holding all other factors constant like opacity and flow because I have not the experience to get a non muddy painting with these functions equipped
    by just manipulating the softness or hardness of the brush One can mimic different traditional medium I might expand on this concept further like with multiply and opacity being used as digital markers or to achieve that look but for now not so much also I am going to note different aspects of fundamentals i learn along the way because this thread is my daily digital sketchbook and I would like to break down my progress thats all for now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first post I made did not post so I will bullet my points and then anouncementsName:  gradation1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  40.5 KB
    1 I will use this blog to document my learning of the fundamentals as the days progress
    2 what I noted about brushes today is simply that WITH ALL OTHER FACTORS CONSTANT IE OPACITY FLOW JUST BY CHANGING THE HARDNESS ONE CAN ACHIEVE
    A.Hard brush - mimics markers sorta -be used to block in , make silhouettes , mark plane changes
    B Soft brush - mimics chalk traditionally can be used to create smooth gradations when rendering
    so I will note things and my first post was alot better this is just a quick repost

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok the first post I made posted I might post something else if I do another rendering Name:  gradientcube`.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  47.9 KB
    I think this is my best one yet and it has reflected light and it is neat so I will prolly practice more on rendering today. or maybe I should experiment with drawing and really get comfortable with the digital medium because I don't know it seams like some people grasp it really fast but I should prolly just push more hours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good that you're experimenting with digital, but most people find that they learn way faster with a plain old pencil. Those people that pick up digital really quickly probably had hundreds of hours in traditional studies first. Not to discourse practicing with digital, but you might get faster results with traditional. I know that trying to learn on a tablet definitely held me back for awhile.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks I'll keep that in mind

thanks I'll keep that in mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  39.4 KB
    I missed the 14th and the 16 and today is the 18th or the 17th anyways here is my daily digital it is coming along quite nicely and I suppose I don't recognize the legitimacy of traditional work because I don't know but it is certainly better to draw traditionally as in it is faster and easier to use ones arm although I heard painting when I start learning should come along swiftly digitally the renderings have so thats what is on my mind today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  some dodling.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  136.7 KBName:  jj.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  90.3 KBName:  skull practice.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  136.7 KB
    so This thread is only digital to force myself to become comfortable in the digital medium because it would have happened eventually and it is getting a lot better I am finding that my skills from doing point to point traditionally are carrying over but I can't help but think that this work is insufficient and misrepresents to an extent all the work I do In a month or so it should be sufficient so I am not worried and I think I have made diligent progress other than that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  somedfsffd.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  32.2 KB -something misfortunate happened today I had in the past been dividing my time between art/des studies and school however in that there was a dissatisfaction in being also I failed some classes so unfortunately I am giving it up in a formal setting of course I can resume it so that has been going on for awhile but unfortunately school is given priority I will probably continue this sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  84.3 KB today was kinda bad I really need to do more studies but like all days waiting until the summer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  some practice.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  13.9 KB Today I learned that before I did the painting that I did yesterday I would first need to do some photoref drawing practice and then some photoref painting practice rendering geo forms from memory and drawing forms with memory so at least this is what I am hypothesizing to learn how to paint from memory
    now for todays thing I just did some tablet warmups to work on control I still need to practice design curves and ellipses traditionally as well as gesture drawing with a loose pen grip like the skulls but It felt more natural so this thread has already started serving its function

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  aasss.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  48.5 KB did some stuff going to make a youtube video so yea but now I have to go watch the daily show because yea but this was just some doodling for 15mins playing with lineweight and stuff kbye ill spend more time tomorow I have a video to make today though so thats part of the reason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that last study, you have a fun abstract design sense. Remember that when you are shading cubes, the dark side is being created by the shadow from a directional light. It will feel more realistic if you include your shadows.

For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  cubeformsxzzzzz.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  42.9 KB thanks for the comment yea I guess I just got lazy with the shadows and not putting them in although for todays daily digital sketchbook I did some line weight stuff and practiced cube orientation also Corel painter is becoming really smooth for me to draw in so thats probably what I am going to do all my drawings in so all in all today was a good day I'll try and practice alot more tomorow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  nn.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  34.1 KB I actually spent quite awhile doing doodle stuff on my tablet like maybe two hours nothing serious just making lines and ellipses and undoing them but it helps alot I really need to push more hours I should do 3 or four right now ok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  grafiti1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  421.3 KB ok so I prolly should have wrote kilroy was here but yea playing with pens I kinda have to go now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  gradient practice.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  328.1 KB so I sorted some brushes I like to use and I really like this dull conte for painting so anything works really so it is what is best for me I might to a grayscale photoref tomorow because I really should also sorry about yesterday I missed it I was out w friends but I did do a watercolour also I today I got my wisdom teeth out so I sorta have slowed down but it will resume and stuff so yea I guess thats it Ill update my tu,blr soon when I hit like 18 traditional drawings I have 6 or 7 now that are ok so I''ll do that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff dude, i love they look so abstract yet still saying something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  meh.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  140.0 KB thanks from the comment always yea I dunno digital doodling and having fun seams like the best way to learn the sorta daunting fundamentals stuff while keeping it fun to do as for todays study it was meh mediocre like so I jsut did some straight lines and stuff and doodled around still sorta waiting for all the free time I'll have in the summer I only really have like mabye enough for 4 to 8 hours during the school week and out of habit it is kinda hard to push hours mabye semester 2 which is tomorow will be better I really dont know also I am updating my tumblr in like a few hours so cheek that out mabye if you want no presure or anything I guess I don't know why I am kinda tired mabye its the drugs I had yesterday like the Anastasia from my wisdom teetg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  a fucking car.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  177.9 KB it seems like I am going through a block now like everything I do seems bad it is common and it just means my eye is more able to see my mistakes sill its yea really need to push hours so I am going to do some photorefs yfdjkal; it will get better in a month or so or something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  fdhd.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  50.6 KB on the bright side I can't get any worse so nothing to do but keep calm and cary on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  valusskeethciplanar.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  32.5 KB some doodling with planar shape better than yesterday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  feb22013.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  99.9 KB I did about an hour today it was actually decent practice for once probably going to doodle for a few more hours I think the key to doing things from memory is patience and experience so just gotta push more hours yep so going to take a quick brake then doodle more digitally while listening to The Chapter titles were so so oh its a great and terrible podcast about harry potter if anyone is interested yea listening to stuff while drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  feb32013.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  74.7 KB here I was going to write about something of merit but a state of anomie has devoured my thoughts and with a great misfortune I inform you that I will do nothing about it I will post tomorrow goodbye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  feb4.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  96.0 KBName:  hipstarfig.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  83.4 KB
    usually I am quite keen on what I need to do and it comes down to it being a matter of practice which I commonly am quite bad at

so today for my daily digital I did a study of skin tones and if anyone could critique preferably a painter who is farther than I am but I'll be grateful for any critique also two things

also my self critique mostly the colors I picked were from a certain area on the painters wheel and I should pick colors from photograph itself and they appeared to be all over so maybe it is an issue of staying near the edge and not getting the center of the painters wheel yea that might be it well There are always more days and hey it was pretty fun

1 I did not know how to conduct a study I see some people like sinix and feng do very good photoref studies but I don't really know how to go about just copying a photograph to a canvas without zooming in and stuff and on training my eye
    2 then on the actual mixing of skin tones I know it is a bit difficult because 1 the bony areas are like yellows and the fleshy blood rush areas are pinks all desaturated and stuff but yea I need a better yea
    also painting in color is really fun a lot more enjoyable than grayscale work so I might alternate even though I am still yea well so If any one sees this and can help greatly appreciated if not I guess I can wait awhile before I do another skin tone study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  feb5.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  62.9 KB not going to lie I bs todays daily work so its a prespective thing I did an hour of traditional drawing so yay it was kinda fun they were cars and stuff sorta taking it lightly until summer I guess I have a break in like 8 days for 8 days so I am looking forward to that I will prolly post alot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    feb 6th the file would not upload it is in the folder for febuary fuck it it was not that good anyways so tomorow might be better jsut really tired now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3