Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sketchbook and critiques

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Oh, and there are a few four-star sketchbooks. My theory on those is they got rated five stars, and then a sufficiently large number of people came along and thought, "come on -- it's good, but it's not quite five star enough for CA" and down-rated them deliberately.
    Sometimes those people who down-rate it are the thread owners themselves. It doesn't take a large amount of people to downrate a thread. It just works off of an average.

I yapped about this on some earlier thread.

Here's an idea of how my thread ended up as a four star, when it should be a three. I know a mod could get the full readout of the people who''ve overrated my thread, but still.

I have no idea who the first person to overrate my thread was, but when there was only one vote, it's easy to fix. And that's what I did. I downvoted it myself so it would average into a three. But then every once in a while I'd get a post like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateman View Post
    hi mate ... at first: WTF?! are the voters drunk in here?! i mean ... 3 stars? thats a joke ... its alot of funny cool work with a solid style. you can see that he is putting alot of heart and sweat to this, so is that you way to say him that he has to work more?! ... i even think that is stars-system is wierd but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    Much better than the 3 stars you had. Take 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by hu-ha View Post
    I love your style, very inspiring work! That would be awesome to see your comic. Keep it up and update more, I'm subscribing and leaving 5 stars
    Of course, this is only from the people that bother leaving a post when they leave a star rating.

But over time it got to the point where I can no longer fix the rating with a single vote.

Last edited by Psychotime; January 26th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hahaha...people got into a bidding war over your sketchbook? That's hilarious.

Well, shoot...I just had a look at your SB. The cartoons are great. You shoulda just taken the compliment!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well if the OP wants some comments about the sketchbook. One of the things I noticed is that the girls are kinda "dainty" I like the fact you have them in rather sensible armor, but there's still some of that "girl power" or well silliness in the poses? Yes women walk differently than men, but a girl that is ready to fight should not look like she's strutting down the catwalk. In addition, I noticed that the girls don't even seem to be holding their swords. Swords are heavy! They're Metal! The grips seem loose like they're about to fall out of their hands.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...10#post2245010

There was one sketch where the girl was doing that T&A pose with some knives. Like...it was a bit off setting because you have this girl looking like she's ready to do stealth, and then "hey look at my azzz!"
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...45#post2417645

In your later sketches you are improving on it for a bit, but I think you need to put more emphasis on action in your poses. There's still that dainty girl quality coming through when some demand a bit more strength- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...75#post3621975 like this ogre/female monster dragging something.

So while your sketches are nice, you need to work more on body language.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Well if the OP wants some comments about the sketchbook. One of the things I noticed is that the girls are kinda "dainty" I like the fact you have them in rather sensible armor, but there's still some of that "girl power" or well silliness in the poses? Yes women walk differently than men, but a girl that is ready to fight should not look like she's strutting down the catwalk. In addition, I noticed that the girls don't even seem to be holding their swords. Swords are heavy! They're Metal! The grips seem loose like they're about to fall out of their hands.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...10#post2245010

There was one sketch where the girl was doing that T&A pose with some knives. Like...it was a bit off setting because you have this girl looking like she's ready to do stealth, and then "hey look at my azzz!"
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...45#post2417645

In your later sketches you are improving on it for a bit, but I think you need to put more emphasis on action in your poses. There's still that dainty girl quality coming through when some demand a bit more strength- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...75#post3621975 like this ogre/female monster dragging something.

So while your sketches are nice, you need to work more on body language.
    Ugh! Thanks a bunch! I looked my drawings over and I can see what you are talking about. I knew about some of the issues (like the loose sword grips.) but I really don't want my characters to look dainty unless they are supposed to be.

That T&A pose you mentioned was a mistake from the start. The idea was that she would be sneaking around and then heard a noice behind her and whipped out her throwing dagger. But it ended up to posy and contrived. And yes I was trying to make her sexy to please the person I made it for. I usually avoid that kind of stuff.

I better go and do some gesture drawings. Thanks a lot for pointing this out to me because this is really not the impression I want to leave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    But over time it got to the point where I can no longer fix the rating with a single vote.
    aww man cmon... just appreciate it.

you feel like youre 3 star? fine... i do feel so myself, did so for the last decade, and will probably continue untill eternity. [edit] 3 is also very comfortable... not too high, not too low... totally mediocre, avoiding any statement... being mushy and trying to swim along. [/edit]
    seeing your art is rated higher by others... just enjoy it (seeing it as your hard work and countless invested hours paying off).

i dont get that rant tbh.

[edit] worry about and invest your effort to make pictures, rather than some forum-star-rating. i got a 5 star sb... do i deserve it? probably not. do i enjoy the fact others like what i do? hell yeah, keeps me going. would a lower rating have me working harder? pretty unlikely. so where does it matter in any way?

Last edited by sone_one; January 26th, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I've looked at much longer ones, but they did daunt me when I first came here. If it's very long (like mine) I go 1. 2 skip a few 8,9 skip a few etc. Try to catch the last few pages and read what the OP has posted
    That sounds like a good approach. I'm going to try applying it and see how I get on. Your monster will be a good practice go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sone_one said it.

People are so fucking obsessed with the fucking star rating system. are those fucking star so fucking important? are those stars going to get you a job or something? Stop it with that "Oh, poor is me" fucking attitude.

If you're committed to something then it shouldn't matter if you have one star, or 5 stars.
    If you think maybe people are commenting on your sketchbook to get the same treatment then maybe that true or not, but you don't know. they might like the stuff your doing and saying "good job" and so on, or maybe they are just giving you critiques, and tips.

Sorry, if I touch a nerve.

P.S: Most swords aren't that heavy, only weighting around 2.0 lbs to 5.0 lbs.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    The cartoons are great. You shoulda just taken the compliment!
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    aww man cmon... just appreciate it.

you feel like youre 3 star? fine... i do feel so myself, did so for the last decade, and will probably continue untill eternity. [edit] 3 is also very comfortable... not too high, not too low... totally mediocre, avoiding any statement... being mushy and trying to swim along. [/edit]
    seeing your art is rated higher by others... just enjoy it (seeing it as your hard work and countless invested hours paying off).

i dont get that rant tbh.
    I must admit if it was someone other than myself repeating what I was saying, I'd agree with you and would probably be saying the same thing. I'm a hypocrite that way, heh.

I already met two classmates last week who really seem to lack confidence in themselves, and it's so frustrating to hear decent people who appear to feel low about their own abilities. And they're the only people in the class who can draw worth a damn, as far as I can see. So that makes it sound worse.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now the technology provide us with many marvelous ways to communicate, ironically it's when people tend to be more inactive about seeking new friends and new potentials. I open up my FB and other social network and there is tons of cool stuffs from very world-class level artists jump into feed, it's just like lots of people on CA they've subscribed to their favorites thread and that's what they check regularly, cant tell they are wrong, it's very normal when people stick into what they used to. So I always give my appreciations for people who always try to dig around and help new people and threads, if you want to receive, please give.

<<<I R LUMINA R I>>>

How I eat pen everyday aka ma Sketchbook.

http://fxevo.blogspot.com/ The blog of city wanderer.
    Facebook: Duc. Truong Huyen

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fxEVo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.