need some critique
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: need some critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

need some critique

Spend some time on this one, but before I go any further I could use some critique. Feel free to give advice on any aspect

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the feeling that the people sitting and leaning on the railing ae kind of just floating there and holding the railing. Otherwise, this looks really cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have some nice energy and interesting composition going on here. The anatomy of your main figure has some glaring issues, especially with his arms (for instance, the deltoid and bicep simply don't interact that way. I agree that the background figures look like they are floating. Also, the main figure sort've looks like he's carrying a dagger in his left hand, though I think we're actually seeing folds in his shirt. Nice colors, and a promising start.

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like this idea, dont know if you planned on it, but it would do great to add some props that usually is on pirate sailboats, like this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    none of your characters are overlapping any of your other characters. even the pirate's hat conforms with the foremost character's triceps. overlap is the most concrete way to convey depth in an image. The reason why one's depth perception is hurt when one loses an eye, overlap is no longer guaranteed. how important are these bystanders? perhaps a less defined crowd, would better convey the idea of a gathering.

the knife of the running character is initially lost, as it is the same color and value as his shirt, I think it would be better placed in his right hand, to give it its own silhouette.

as enkithrice mentioned, your characters appear to be floating. the two on the left of the image could be jumping, though why in unison? I can see that you want them holding onto the side of the ship, but you either need to bring the characters down to the same plane as the running man's planted foot, or raise the ground level.

Tifa is looking pretty hot, perhaps tone that down, you don't want her cannon balls distracting from the main cannon ball. this is a common mistake among emerging artists

Last edited by catface; January 12th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to catface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me the arms of the guy on the foreground look way too short and thin. You could turn his back more to the viewer so that the arms would be foreshortened and you'd only have to make them thicker. I like the colors and dynamic angle!

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why is he looking at us when the ball is his object of focus?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the advice

Worked on it a bit further. blocked out some more background characters, fixed some anatomy, etc. New critique is appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing though, to me the ball looks like a bowling ball and I don't think he'd want to hit a bowling ball, so I suggest making some sections in it so it looks hand made instead.
    Also his right forearm I think is short compared to the one in front of him.
    Love the composition, though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbe View Post
    One thing though, to me the ball looks like a bowling ball and I don't think he'd want to hit a bowling ball, so I suggest making some sections in it so it looks hand made instead.
    Also his right forearm I think is short compared to the one in front of him.
    Love the composition, though
    I think it's supposed to be a cannonball
    He wouldn't want to hit that either though, but i think that's the point. It's some kind of "challenge".

Last edited by Leoz; January 13th, 2013 at 07:25 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.