Sketchbook: My second attempt at Concept Art. Let's DRAW!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My second attempt at Concept Art. Let's DRAW!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink My second attempt at Concept Art. Let's DRAW!

Name:  skull1.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  19.8 KB
    OK, so I attempted to become a concept artist once and I failed miserably, this time I'm serious.

Seeing my progress in real-time is amazing. Waking up, not being able to draw anything and in the evening drawing skulls like a pro (well, not really ), that proved me that I can. This time I won't fail!

I'm 17, a photography addict for 2 years and I'm very damn good at it, I've been shooting like 12 hours a day since I started, but I've always wanted to do painting/drawing as a career. I've always failed because I was way too lazy. This time I'm serious.
    There's nothing else in life that I will make me happy and not poor. There's no money in photography, too many people do it. I also do 3D computer graphics for 5-6 years already (modeling, texturing, etc.), I'm very good at it but it's hard and I wouldn't like to do it as a job, I prefer it as an awesome hobby art form.
    I do programming but I don't like it, it's really boring and I play guitar and drums and write songs, but that's also not for a job...
    So I only have painting now.
    But I have a slight issue. I'm colorblind, but very little/subtle. Only very very desaturated greens, reds and/or yellows look *almost* the same to me. I'm wondering would that be an issue, could I get hired, do people ask for that or only portfolio matters??
    Personally, I have ZERO issue with that, as I said it's very very subtle and only on some very similar colors. I wouldn't even knew about it because it's extremely unnoticeable and makes me no problems at all. I can color-grade my photos perfectly and I know I see extremely well. I just wanna know would studios/employers ask for that kind of stuff or only your work matters.

OK, so I want to focus on environments and faces/figures first. I'd like to design worlds, environments for movies/games and characters to put them in these environments and also portraits/faces. That's my rough idea.

So to begin, here are some skulls, I think I should master the human skull and see it in 3D in my head to actually be good at drawing/painting heads (no pun intended)
    So here we go:
    Name:  DSCF5577.JPG
Views: 471
Size:  132.1 KB
    Sorry, about the bad quality, won't happen again. My external flash batteries are dead so I had to shoot in terrible light.
    I draw with a ref image and try to redraw it with as little looking at reference as possible.
    There will be some digital stuff as well, I have Wacom Bamboo Fun medium and Photoshop.

I have a slight problem with references. Every single ref image I find online is different and I don't know which one is correct. Can you guys show me where to get the right stuff because every skull I find online has quite different proportions?

Anyways, thanks for reading this wall of text.
    I have to get used to drawing every day. Won't be a problem I guess now that I've started pretty nicely

See y'all tomorrow,
    David.

Last edited by Fricetix; January 11th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Me - 18yo wild kid with big dreams, photographer, VFX artist, filmmaker with shitty gear and soon-to-be a pro concept artist!
    my SB | my art blog | my photography
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more. First time ever drawing skulls from the front side. Using reference of course.
    In the lower right corner, the right skull is the line drawing before I painted it on the left. I messed up the values terribly (I used a reference)
    Name:  11012013-skulls.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  123.8 KB
    Next time I'll try doing figures. Yay, long way to go!
    Any tips about brush settings, or how to get the values right? I used one of the default Photoshop brushes with low opacity and Multiply blending mode to buildup the values but that could be an issue. Messed up the shadow in the mouth real bad.
    Thanks

Me - 18yo wild kid with big dreams, photographer, VFX artist, filmmaker with shitty gear and soon-to-be a pro concept artist!
    my SB | my art blog | my photography
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.