Following

Mushroom House

Would love some crits on this one

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Leoz,

Firstly, I would try not to go quite so dark in the shadows; at least not over about 70% of the composition. Your image has somewhat of an eerie mood, which is nice, but it may clash with the relative friendliness of the mushroom house.

So the first thing I did in the paintover was establish a secondary light source. In this case it is a cool ambiance, reflected off the environment from the night sky. It is still very dark, but this hint of light should create a bit more depth. It also gives you more paint to work with, which helps when rendering surfaces.

It wasn't clear to me where the light was emitting from. I assumed it is the 4 little hanging lamps, so I expanded on that.

I increased the size of the mushroom cap, and brought its underside into light. This may help frame the subject, and make the concept read more clearly.

I defined cast shadows for objects on the ground. This emphasizes the light source and creates a better sense of 3D.

I like the small vertical standing shapes on the ground, so I expanded on that further into the composition. Hopefully the scale transition from foreground to background will add depth.

Lastly, I blurred the extreme foreground and background for better focus on the subject.

Name:  mushroom house paintover for Leoz.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  154.4 KB

Hopefully this was at least a little bit helpful.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lane. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was very helpful!
    That paintover is awesome, you've really taken the painting to the next level

I really appreciate it, thanks. I'll work on it later today.

Btw, i love your work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leoz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For what it's worth, I liked the original. I liked that everything else was dark and it was hard (though possible) to distinguish detail. It felt like under the mushroom was the only place that was safe, and if one could just make it to the mushroom and out of the darkness everything would be okay. I liked the clash of eerie and friendly that Lane mentioned.

I thought the light was more magical than realistic, so doesn't need to light the underside of the mushroom (having it not lit increased the feeling that 'this spot/entrance is the only safe place'). Though I agree with having shadows from the objects around the mushroom -- makes them more grounded and less floating in space.

Having the vertical objects in the foreground would usually be a nice touch, but for this particular feeling of "gotta get to that spot, it's the only safe place", having it more open so you feel like you have a path to run through and aren't blocked would make sense.

Of course, if this wasn't the feeling you were going for, all my comments are moot, and either way the crits from other people are based on good principles.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.