Cintiq Killer coming from Lenovo
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cintiq Killer coming from Lenovo

Lenovo is preping a new product that could be a pretty serious game changer.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/l...obile-monitor/

This LT1423p is a 13.3 inch/IPS display tablet with uses Wacoms Penabled Technology.

It can be connected to your computer via USB or they have a Wireless model that has a battery pack that can last anywhere from 5-10 hours.

Now since this is from Lenovo and aimed at the Bussiness Market....it won't have the extra bells and whisles Wacom throws in.

Pressure will be 256 levels
    No Tilt or Rotation Control
    No super sensative tip sensor
    And no express keys

It would be like using a Tablet PC....only being powered by your desktop or whatever computer you connect it to...so in Program perfromance with the likes of Z-Brush and Photoshop....should work much faster and smoother then on any Tablet PC.

But the real game changer is the price.

$350 for the Wired Model.....$450 for the Wireless

Yeah its using decade old tablet PC tech (which is still more then suitable for art creation).....but at that price....this is an impulse buy. I just recently purchased a Cintiq 21ux....and even I might still get this.

Wacom hasn't unveiled their new 12 or 13 inch Cintiq refresh yet...although I'm gonna have to guess it will be quite simmilar to Lenovos....but with all those afromentioned bells and whisles tacked on. I doubt Wacom will go anywhere near lenovo's price....they'll probablly still keep it at $1000.

But if anyone wants to try On-screen digitial drawing/painting without plunking down a grand or more....this looks to be a very serious alternative.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And no express keys

I would say thats lacking a bit more than "bells and whistles".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by T3mporaryGold View Post
    And no express keys

I would say thats lacking a bit more than "bells and whistles".
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that front. I have Tablet PCs, Intuos, Graphires, Bamboos, and a Cintiq. For me the Pressure levels from 256 to 2048 means nothing. My brush strokes look exactly the same regardless. If I make a painting on my Samsung S7S tablet PC...its gonna come out looking exactly the same if I made it on my cintiq.

The Rotation option is specific to the Intuos/Cintiq Art pen, so unless you have that pen, its not an issue. and The tilt feature I don't even use. While I know people do use it...the general consensous is that its not really a make or break feature.

Intuos 4 also started Wacoms new tip sensor which lowered the required pressure needed to activate a brush stroke. Truthfully...I can't even tell the difference...and much like the tilt control....its not really a make or break feature. Intuos 3's don't have that tip sensor either and they are still highly recommened.

The only feature that I really wish would make a comback are express keys... they've gone extinct on Tablet PCs too. Thats prehaps the biggest weakness. But in all honesty...there are other options...you can probablly use a USB/bluetooth keyboard or device like the Nostromos Gamepad...or any programable key device to enable shortcuts. There is also an in-screen program that gives the shortcuts on the screen. And if worst comes to worst...they is bound to be a volume rocker on the thing that you can probablly re-program.

Also keep in mind...The Older Cintiqs like the Cintiq 15/18...as well as earlier Intuos/Graphire tablets all had these same restrictions too. the Cintiqs even used the exact same digitizer....and digitial artists still managed to make art just fine. The Penabled Digitizer....although it is wacoms current bottom of the barrel....it is still the base digitizer nessicary to create art on. All the additions that came with Intuos 3, 4, etc...nothing more then bells and whisles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The price is excellent for the features, it would be an awesome reference screen too, I don't like tablets because they're too weak, with this you could run whatever application you want and stream it. This is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats precisly why this is a cintiq killer. Since most Tablet PCs use ULV or other low voltage processors....with this device you can use your full powered/ Quad Core i7s, 16 GB of ram and run any demanding app or canvas size you wish.

Now Wacoms offered Non-Cintiq Penabled Displays for years..using this same digitizer.....but they all still broke $1000. The cheapest was $1200.

If Lenovo was offering this for $1500....I wouldn't exacly be calling it a Cintiq Killer.....the Fact that this price undercuts all of Wacoms other options by a pretty massive margin is the key. Not even just a Cintiq Killer...this may even canabailze Wacoms Intuos Sales since this more on level with the Pricing of the Intuo 4/5 Large.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like that it's glossy, but you're right, it's cheap for something that is essentially a tablet for my computer. You could sketch, ink, colorize, work in illustrator. It may not be as responsive like someone said in photoshop or painter, but what it CAN do is awesome for that price. I wonder if the wireless one has usb too. That would rock.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's really encouraging - not so much for what it is, but what it signifies. Microsoft itself, according to Jeff Han (inventor of multitouch) last November, said that a whole slew of pen-and-touch devices are on their way from MS and their OEMs. Between this and the Surface Pro, these are exciting times for digital artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thegiffman View Post
    That's really encouraging - not so much for what it is, but what it signifies.
    Yes. Competition! If Lenovo finds success with this product, perhaps more developers will enter the market, which might force Wacom to be more competitive with their pricing and service.

One can always hope.

Personally, I think the product sounds like an interesting entry-level art tool. If I wasn't already involved in a love affair with my new 22hd, I'd by buying LT1423p drinks in a local bar, hoping to get lucky, and subtly suggesting she change her name to something sexy.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    Personally, I think the product sounds like an interesting entry-level art tool. If I wasn't already involved in a love affair with my new 22hd, I'd by buying LT1423p drinks in a local bar, hoping to get lucky, and subtly suggesting she change her name to something sexy.
    Who's to say your 22hd might not be up for the threesome?

Think of this scenario....I've only had my 21ux for a little more then a month now...but one thing that gets to me is late in the evening when I'm drawing/painting on it...while my computer chair is compfy...after 3-4 hours....you kind of just want to lie down after a while. Wouldn't it be nice to just bring your Cintiq in bed or on the couch and just lie down while using it? yeah....you could throw it on USB drive and then open it on a tablet PC....but then your files/brushes are all different....etc.....but with this....

Once you've exhausted from using your Cintiq/desktop.....turn the Lenovo on and just take your work right with you anywhere in the house. No need to save...just literally pick up where your cintiq left off. If your hungry for pasta....take it into the kitchen and continue while you wait for the water to boil.

Or alternatively...if montezuma's revenge should ever befall you....you can take your artwork right into the throne room with you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sound great (I laugh so hard at the last sentence) ! Darkmagistric is right, everyone who own a cintiq or an alternative device may need something like that, just because you can move around with it. I just dream to be able to work from my garden during summer... That could be really great at office too, while sitting at a meeting, making early sketch with everyone around ! (plus it end the time when your manager was trying to avoid you while you are looking for his opinion, nyahaha !)

But I have two concern about it : will this device work as tablet with ALL computers (including mac OS and other windows OS) or only lenovo product + win8 ? What about the wifi signal power decreasing (if you are behind something or just too far away) : will the informations being partially lost ?

Anyway, I'm SO happy to see some innovations coming with this bunch of Win8 tablet ! There is no way artists can't find something that fit their needs !

Last edited by Griffonnage; January 12th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
    * My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has peaked my interest. I'm a hybrid photographer/artist that also wants something for entertainment (although my iPad has fit that department).
    My only hesitation about Lenovo produts is their digitizer's on previous Tablet PCs like the X210 started off not so great (see TabletPCReview under Lenovo). At least in comparrison to a LE1700, hands down I would probably prefer to just buy a J3500/3600 for on the go processing power.

Side topic: Has anyone ventured into any of the new SamSung Windows 8 computers? They are toting something around 1024 depths of pressure sensitivity with their S-Pen, but unsure of software compatibility that would make it worth while for artists like us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'll need Windows 8 for the touch to be enabled. Other doubt is how would you sketch/paint with it without a keyboard next to you? Panning and changing tools would be very inconvenient.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Portus For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You'll excuse me for having my doubts of it being a "Cintiq" killer

The 256 levels vs 2048 is not noticeable is bullshit. I notice it every time. Even more so since I adjust the pressure curve per program basis.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Question:

How would I go about hooking this up to my x230t?
    I'm wanting to use this as my primary display (because of the higher resolution) and have my x230t as my secondary display with all by tools and reference and whatnot.
    How would I go with the pen working properly on both devices considering they both support the same digitizer (as per rumour and the 256 pressure levels)?

I'll be buying this no matter what when it comes out next month, but just throwing it out there.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Stoneseeker is offline pro 2D animator / aspiring illustrator Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same as this I presume: Name:  t9023.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  344.8 KB

Thats my T902 hooked up to the old PL series 15x cintiq. It will essentially be the same tech, the big question is will the drivers on the Lenovo play nicely with the X230t Wacom drivers? I would imagine so, but it can't be guaranteed. There may be a bit of experimenting with driver combo's etc to get it to work.

But in theory you attach the LT1423p to the HDMI out on your X230t, and install the necessary driver for it, and try using the pen on both screens. Ideally if there is no conflict between the 2 drivers for both devices the same pen will work on both screens, no hitch. That's pretty much how it worked for me and the 15x, except for the occasional glitch when waking up from a soft sleep with it attached.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome.

Yeah, I saw that setup or TPCR.

I figure it'll be a battle of the drivers.
    I hope that they play nicely, this will be a great add-on for my setup here, maybe sometime next year I'll splurge on a used 21UX or something (depends on how well this setup goes for me)...

The x230t doesn't have HDMI out, however it has a DispplayPort so I can get a converter...Anyway, doesn't the LT1423p draw both power and video via USB 3.0?

Any news on a release date for this sucker?

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not holding my breath for this device. It was announced in January of 2013 now its September of 2013. 9 months have passed and still no news or word of whats going on with it. looks like its dead in the water to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Release date September 30th. Can't wait for this as a secondary screen to my x230t.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/prod...DocID=PD028550

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you take one I would gladely ask your opinion about it

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is why I hate living in Australia, $499.00.

Link to Lenovo online store.

At that price I think I might wait a while, hopefully I'll be able to get one a bit cheaper on eBay or get a used one.
    I'd expect the wireless model to be that price but not the wired!

www.travismillar.com

fes is offline Level Up - All Access Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not enough pressure sensitivity for me. If you paint opaquely then fine - 256 levels may do for you. If you paint with transparency or glase then you NOTICE it. I have a tablet with 256 levels which is fine for drawing, but frustrates the hell out of me to paint with. Have to go back to the Cintiq for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fes View Post
    Not enough pressure sensitivity for me. If you paint opaquely then fine - 256 levels may do for you. If you paint with transparency or glase then you NOTICE it. I have a tablet with 256 levels which is fine for drawing, but frustrates the hell out of me to paint with. Have to go back to the Cintiq for that.
    I notice very little difference between my x230t and Intuos 5 (only the pressure activation of 3gm as opposed to 1gm)and have done several finished projects just on the x230t for clients (2D animation).
    I paint usually with 80-90% opacity and 40-70% flow (on all tablets.

But hey, we're all different.

Still a nice "cheap" alternative to a Cintiq and I will pick one up as a secondary monitor for my x230t eventually.

I'll probs get a used Cintiq in a year or two...

www.travismillar.com

Stoneseeker is offline pro 2D animator / aspiring illustrator Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fes View Post
    I'm willing to bet it's the initial pressure needed for the stroke to register that you are used to and feel. Pressure levels is mostly a marketing thing. The human hand would have a hard time using or distinguishing more than 512 levels of variance in a stroke. The grams of pressure to start a stroke however, IS noticeable, and I could see that being frustrating. I've become used to it on the older Wacom tech in tabletPC's and old cintiqs, so it feels weird to go back to an intuos.
    I use a T902 for painting, designing, 2D animating and ALWAYS use low opacity and CLEAN thin to thick strokes are a must. It works beautifully for this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the wired version is marked up to $450, now that it has been hyped up so much, prior to release, with the wireless version being a whopping $550. Methinks all the buzz caused Lenovo to get a tad greedy.

As it stands, there is zero reason not to get a Cintiq instead, given the negligible price point difference vs the quality offered.

For $450 or 550...yeah, I'm going to go ahead and drop $800 on a Cintiq, instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pieces_of_eight View Post
    Well, the wired version is marked up to $450, now that it has been hyped up so much, prior to release, with the wireless version being a whopping $550. Methinks all the buzz caused Lenovo to get a tad greedy.

As it stands, there is zero reason not to get a Cintiq instead, given the negligible price point difference vs the quality offered.

For $450 or 550...yeah, I'm going to go ahead and drop $800 on a Cintiq, instead.
    I have to admit the price point change is quite disappointing, the $350 was a very attractive price...but the closer to get to breaking $500...not so much. But I doubt the clamoring of a few message boards had any play in the price increase...Artists weren't exactly Lenovos Target audience with this.

However I think you debunking this way too easy and far too soon. Only a handful of people have gotten it so far and there hasn't been enough in depth reviews or testing yet.

From the reviews so far it works wonderfully with all Non Wintab Programs like Manga Studio and Sketchbook Pro. And the Wintab programs do accept Wacoms Feel it Driver, but it does seem for those programs there needs to still be some fine tuning.

And a Mac computer will recognize the device, but there is currently a calibration/driver issue....but so far no one has been able to use the Modbook Drivers so its still quite possible it could be used with a Mac once more testing is done.

And as far as "Zero Reason" to get it. Not sure what Cintiq you're snagging for $800 (refurb I'm guessing) but the Standard 13HD still retails for $999, and that still requires constant AC power. The LT1423p runs off USB power and the Wireless one has a battery...so for a lesser price point you do gain tremendous mobility over the 13HD and the 12wx. And if you decide to go the route of getting the Cintiq Companion Hybrid for its battery pack...thats anywhere from $1299-$1599 (depending on how long the holiday sale is on for) so the Lt1423p's price point of $450-$550 is still a very good deal. And the Cintiq Companion Hybrid only offers Multi-touch in Android....when you use it solely in Cintiq Mode, Multi-touch is disabled. And although the Lt1423p's Multitouch compatibility still hasn't been tested with OSX or Windows 7...it will work on Windows 8 Devices.

And keep in mind this device was also delayed by almost a year....the Wireless version has yet to ship, although it looked kinda bad when they demoed it....that was almost a year ago....who knows how well Lenovo was able to fine tune it in the past year. Fixing the Wireless performance could have been the reason for the delay. Until the Wireless version comes out and can be put though its paces, try not to view it with a such a glass half empty view.