Novice in need of advice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Novice in need of advice

Ok, Not sure if I'm posting this on the right board but recently I gave myself the New Year's resolution to get at least 1 Illustration or concept commission by the end of the year. this has raised a few questions to me and i was wondering if anybody could help me answer them.
    Before I start with the questions I feel I should show the level at which i am working so here are a few examples:
    -------------------------------------------------
    http://jakehatt.deviantart.com/#/d5q8c0c
    http://jakehatt.deviantart.com/#/d5pr8r8
    http://jakehatt.deviantart.com/#/d5owxro
    http://jakehatt.deviantart.com/#/d5p2n3z
    -------------------------------------------------
    So my main questions are as follows:

-How do i find clients who accept my novice level of work?
    -What sort of prices should i be charging?
    -Is there any kind of advice you can give me for working in this field?
    And anything else that you can tell me about this matter would be great

Thanks for your time
    -Jake Hatt

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My advice would be to not seek out clients who will accept your current level of work. There isn't a thing that will do for you. IMHO you should avoid the trap of "commissions" or "getting work" until you are at a professional level and are able to enter the field as such. Doesn't mean you have to be at Sparth's level but you're wasting time and doing yourself no favors trying to enter the field before you're ready.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing is i only really wanted to do one just as a sort of "work experience" kind of thing; just so i can see what the industry generally will expect from me. I by no means want to start my career at this stage as I am nowhere near ready I just believe that this kind of thing will help me realize what my goals should be.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So pretend you are your own client and give yourself assignments to build up skill and portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The site that will bombard you with commissions and where your skill level doesn't matter: Furaffinity. net
    (Don't be afraid if you see a My little Pony character with a veiny dick on the front page. You will get commissions there and probably 30 bucks. But do you really want that?)

Other options would include to join a team of game desigers who make a freetime project and offer them your ability to draw.

You could also ask different art directors if they can give you a task that another artist already finished.
    The idea is that you work for free but don't give out publishing rights to your art. You could also get a good critique out of it.
    For me that worked out just fine with magazines, the editors gave me old articles, I did the illustrations and received useful feedback.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is actually a really good point, i feel so stupid for not thinking of it XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only problem is i'm usually not very good at sticking to it if there aren't any consiquences

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hatt View Post
    The only problem is i'm usually not very good at sticking to it if there aren't any consiquences
    But there are consequences to not sticking with your studies. The world is full of people who wanted to be X but just didn't stick with it.

Also you're under a false impression if you think you will gain any kind of real world "industry experience" with those levels of clients. You'll only gain experience working with people who never made the big leagues but want to pretend like they have.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    But there are consequences to not sticking with your studies. The world is full of people who wanted to be X but just didn't stick with it.

Also you're under a false impression if you think you will gain any kind of real world "industry experience" with those levels of clients. You'll only gain experience working with people who never made the big leagues but want to pretend like they have.
    When i said i can't stick to it i was referring to writing myself briefs not studying, i study as much as i get the opportunity, i meant there isn't any consequence if i don't fulfill my own brief. I am definitely taking your advice and continuing to improve until i am ready its just self motivation for briefs i have a problem with. I guess that's just another thing i should work on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not try some of the community activities (i.e. Character of the Week, Environment of the Week, etc.)? They give you briefs, and you can fail to be included in the poll if your submission doesn't meet the brief or the quality standards. Forum members will tell you if/how you're off topic and give you suggestions on how you can improve next time. Plus, the briefs aren't written by you, so you'll probably get a greater variety of concepts to work with. And you can always pick selected items from the challenges and make a portfolio out of them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msafs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, I don't think it's a bad thing to do small jobs when you're a student, I certainly did, so did most everyone in my school... It was pretty much standard operating procedure. We had a job board for the purpose. A lot of them were stupid jobs for flaky clients, of course, but I did get some of my worst bloopers out of my system on those jobs, and developed a healthy Flake-O-Meter, and learned how to stay calm and professional when somebody is flipping out at me. So while they weren't the kind of jobs or clients that you might get in a real career, it was a useful experience nonetheless. Plus, a good way to get lunch money for someone like me with zero non-art-related job skills. You could also do small jobs for friends and family and people in your neighborhood (I did a lot of that as a teen) - they won't be like "real" clients at all, but they're better than random predatory strangers on the internet.

There's also internships, and some companies will take on relative noobs to do production tasks: unglamorous grunt work, not actual illustration work, but better than totally unrelated work because you can be in touch with people in your field and see how they work and build up contacts. Though it depends what kind of work you want to do.

But if you just want practice following a brief, I second the suggestion to try the community activities here. MUCH less risk and less hassle.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hatt View Post
    When i said i can't stick to it i was referring to writing myself briefs not studying, i study as much as i get the opportunity, i meant there isn't any consequence if i don't fulfill my own brief. I am definitely taking your advice and continuing to improve until i am ready its just self motivation for briefs i have a problem with. I guess that's just another thing i should work on.
    Ah - gotcha. In that case I definitely will third the idea of using community activity briefs and deadlines to work to. But take them seriously. Again if you don't it's just a waste of time.

I don't disagree with the idea of taking "small jobs" at all, but still they should be professional situations, again imho. Most of the low level crap jobs and "opportunities" I see these days I would have never touched even when I was a student - and there are just so many more of those kinds of things out there now. Basically just analyze the opportunity - it there is an upside then great.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, definitely aim for the more legit job outlets, or people you know (avoid the creepy Craigslists of the world...) The internet is a minefield when it comes to jobs, tread with caution. In some ways I'm glad we didn't have the internet when I was just starting out.

You won't likely get yourself in serious trouble by doing a band poster for your pal Joe or a brochure for your Mom's boss, but stay away from "hi, I'm a random person on the internet, give me tons of free sample art for a SuPer BiG OpPorTuniTY!!1!"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    In every way I'm glad we didn't have the internet when I was just starting out.
    Fixed.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it would've been nice to have had CA...

And Google Images. Google Images beats cutting things out of magazines and filing them in hundreds of binders and arguing with your mom when she wants to throw out your swipe files because the mice started chewing on them. Totally.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.