Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook

Thanks

Sketchbook

I recently purchased a wacom tablet (initially a bamboo create, and then I took it back and got an intuos 5 medium). I drew avidly in highschool and then just kinda stopped. The tablet's been somewhat of a re-awakening to me, but I feel like I need to re-learn a lot of the fundamentals. I mainly work in manga studio 5. I'd love to get feedback from other people. I know it's generally considered polite to give feedback 2x as much as you get it, but I think that at least for a little while, I've got to be like Socrates and admit that, "The only thing I know is that I know nothing." Hopefully I'll give more feedback and critiques to others once I've developed my skill a bi more.

Koi from photo reference. I want to try and do more stuff in color. I really need to make that a priority. Fairly pleased with this for a quick (20 minute-ish) sketch.
    Name:  koi.png
Views: 1107
Size:  186.5 KB
    Sister w/ bow tie & monocle. She wanted a drawing of her like that after seeing the other one below on my facebook page.
    Name:  emily.png
Views: 1201
Size:  141.7 KB
    Friend asked me to do a drawing of him, and I thought the monocle and bow tie would be funny. I need to stay away from the airbrush until I get better, I think.
    Name:  the_gentleman_zen.png
Views: 987
Size:  224.8 KB
    From imagination. This took a few hours. Improving, but not where I want it to be. I need to work on proportions, fabric, and shading.
    Name:  bw_girl_sketch.png
Views: 838
Size:  203.0 KB
    Perspective & ellipse practice.
    Name:  perspective practice.png
Views: 887
Size:  157.2 KB
    I need to do like 100 more pages of heads and faces.
    Name:  head_practice.png
Views: 836
Size:  839.3 KB
    Doodle that I was actually fairly pleased with.
    Name:  cartoony-doodle.png
Views: 794
Size:  35.8 KB

These basically go in order of newest -> oldest further down the page, over a few weeks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Friend liked the koi I posted and asked me to draw a tattoo for her. I'm probably going to post a few of these coming up with some basic ideas based on what she asked for.

Name:  1.png
Views: 777
Size:  180.2 KB

Thanks
    Drawings from the last couple of days while the site was down. This is some of the first work I've done in about 15 years and my first time trying to do digital art - I'd love to get feedback & criticism from people.
    Name:  reddit_gets_drawn1a.png
Views: 710
Size:  100.4 KB
    Name:  pinkmary-color.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  106.3 KB
    Name:  2.png
Views: 718
Size:  546.8 KB

Thanks
    I've mainly been working on draftmanship for the last couple of days- doing a page of lines 2", 1/2 page & full page 8x repeated, then the same with arcs, the same with waves & then three or so pages of ellipses. All in dead-tree format though. Didn't seem like it was worth it to scan in such basic exercises and upload them. I'm trying to formulate a plan of study for myself and I think I'm basically going to try and do:

draftsmanship -> perspective -> anatomy -> life drawing -> color theory -> back to draftsmanship. I'm going to spend about a week with each subject as my primary focus. I'll do other stuff, of course, but I'm going to try and focus on one subject each week so I can hopefully see some progress. Does this sound like a reasonable plan of attack?

Name:  first_draft.png
Views: 708
Size:  1.19 MB

Thanks
    Name:  2013.01.15-drawing-script.png
Views: 886
Size:  408.5 KB
    Name:  2013.01.16-heads.png
Views: 713
Size:  653.3 KB

Sick today and yesterday. Just doing some quick practice head sketches and trying to work on draftmanship stuff. I've been doing these "draw over the same line 8x" exercises, and lots of ellipses, but that's probably way too boring to upload here.

Thanks
    Still sick. Just some doodles & some quick reference sketches after watching a little of "drawing the human figure from your mind"
    Name:  2013.01.17-doodles.png
Views: 970
Size:  542.1 KB
    Name:  2013.01.17-fdaw-front.png
Views: 1087
Size:  370.4 KB

Thanks
    Spent most of the day in bed - can't seem to shake this cold. Hopefully I'll be getting better soon and be able to spend more time on artwork next week.
    Name:  2013.01.18.heads-doodles.png
Views: 705
Size:  821.1 KB

Thanks
    Think I might be getting a little bit better. Still a little sick and really tired, but hopefully I'll get better in the next day or two.
    Name:  2012.01.20-rgd.png
Views: 628
Size:  470.5 KB

Thanks
    Name:  2013.01.20-sketches.png
Views: 620
Size:  1.19 MB

Thanks
    Cool stuff! I especially like your fish drawings! I'm sorry I can't offer you much in the way of critique or advise (still learning myself) but it looks like you are off to a good start to me!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BickeringDog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Working on different types of head constructions.
    Name:  2013.01.23.png
Views: 586
Size:  1.21 MB

Thanks
    Undirected doodling. Worked on an illustration for a friend's tattoo of some koi fish for a few hours but just didn't quite lock in on it. These were just some warmup doodles and before-bed doodles. Still can't shake this fricken cold - just started on antibiotics so hopefully I'll be better soon and have more energy. This week was supposed to be focusing on perspective but I've really just been all over the place.

Name:  2013.01.25.png
Views: 609
Size:  691.6 KB

Thanks
    draftsmanship -> perspective -> anatomy -> life drawing -> color theory -> <<<<<<<< that is a GREAT fucking idea i strongly support it! dont juggle with stuff take it slow and one thing at a time, there are alot of aspects that are taken into account to make a kick ass painting so you must learn each of theese aspects and then slowly build them together, go to michael hamptons site hes got great anatomy examples www.figuredrawing.info

also try to do more confident lines dont make them so scratchy OR at least try your best to not make them as sketchy, it will get better with time and practice! keep it up man im rooting for ya!

PS: also you could use http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php for your figure practice really an awesome site to practice gestures and more renderes figure stuff too!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast