A great posing manikin! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you learn to draw very convincing figures out of your head. It is easier than you think, as long as you take small steps and stay with it for a long time.

When I was fifteen and sixteen, I drew hundreds of figures in pencil, most fairly small. I was inspired by Andrew Loomis and by Daumier (his wiggly line.)
    I gradually took into account proper proportions. When I wanted to develop a form in a pose that I didn't understand, I would study that, draw it until I had it in my mind. I never used a mannikin. When I got one for Christmas, I never took to it.

I have only used my Spiderman figures for pose ideas and only rarely at that.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still work that way. Each of us has to find our own best path and mine is working very small (1.5 to 3") with an extra fine ballpoint pen. If I come up with a drawing I like, I will slap it on my scanner and enlarge it to about seven inches, the trace it off on a piece of good drawing paper and continue to refine it. Whenever I think I have enough, I do a painting from it. If I'm unsure of a part, I can either use the mirror or I can take digital shots of a friend or family member.

This drawing is about 2 inches high. I scribble, starting in the middle and working out, starting with scribble stick figures.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a start of a figure in oils. It goes best when I oil the surface first, then the brush will glide. I forgot to do it in this case. But I have established a stick person and worked from the middle of the form out until I have the image established in proportion in my mind.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That only took a few minutes. I next tried to make better sense of the proportions and angles. I think I stopped for the day here - it was getting dark.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I waited until it was dry and then sent forward in the second session. I worked as broadly as possible and toward the end began to refine, starting at the head. Sometimes I work very monochromatially and then glaze, sometimes I use more color as I have done here.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here it is about half done. This is where it stands now. I was going to work on it today, but instead I started another painting.

I'll try and remember to post in in my ConceptArt sketchbook when it's finished.

I can build a pretty good figure out of my head if the pose is straight forward, but I have a harder time if there is extreme action or foreshortening.

Just remember to take it slow, figure out your own natural approach, and master forms you are most uneasy with.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your replies William, I appreciate it.
    The figure I mainly need for some action poses from difficult (for me at least) perspectives, and pictures I find online are not flexible enough. Those crappy wooden manekins I tried using a few times over the years, but they are way too stiff, they can't even do the most basic poses, let alone something in action and motion.
    This spiderman looked just right for that, but sadly it's only to be found way way too expensive (for me). That's why I'm looking for an alternative figure (possibly action figure).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Annihilator,

What you might do is take photos of a friend outside on a cloudy day - so you don't get misleading shadows. Click as many as you can while your friend runs around - nice thing about digital cameras is there's no film cost!
    Literally, close you eyes and push the button like crazy.

Digital cameras have changed everything. Go for it, then draw the images you like freehand - or even combine images. As you become aware of parts that are not drawn well, draw them again. Eventually you'll memorize a great deal of stuff that way.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just bought one of these for 30 bucks in ebay--I hope it's the right one (the pictures was really bad). But they're so expensive now I had to take the chance. Can't wait for it to come in the mail!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ticklemycatastrophe,
    If some of the joints are too loose and you can't get it to hold a pose easily, buy some modeling clay and pack around the joint once it's in position. One of my three has gotten weak in the middle. Modeling clay holds it in position just fine.

William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any new alternatives to the spidey figure? Been looking for a art manikins but it's still the same options, either the wodden ones or the Art S. Buck Artist's Models.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thinks been looking for a art manikins but it's still the same options, either the wodden ones or the Art .

Best flash online games .

KiziStar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked around and found this:
    http://www.vantagecollectibles.com/c...light-version/

This one is better and cheaper, even the muscles compress.

Last edited by Portus; November 26th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 10