A great posing manikin! - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A great posing manikin!

The7Artist7 is online now I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    He replied! - and also sounds interested if there's enough interest from artists for something like this.

Here's what he said about the idea of a super-articulated manikin:

...Thanks for the kind words. Yes that is my figure, I sculpted it for Toybiz around 2003 or so. The figure was an awesome project to be a part of. I've had many artists compliment the figure as many of them use it the way you are using it as a drawing model. I've always had the intention to make a similar model specifically for artists with good anatomy and the same or more articulation. Iíd like to re-visit the idea of making a prototype, especially if you think that people would be interested in it. I have a few projects that I am in the middle of, but as soon as I finish them up I will look into it and keep you posted. In the meantime keep sending feedback, itís always nice to hear what people think about these figures...

Dave

Dave Cortes
    Inu Art
    www.inuart.com
    www.pugzee.com
    So - lets spread the word about showing interest for a super-articulated artist's manikin! Also lets try and be helpful with realistic suggestions for improvements over the Spiderman figure, size, etc that would be particularly useful for us as artists.

Lets hope this works out

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone know where you can still buy this? I've only found luck on eBay.

The7Artist7 is online now I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Noia,

I've been doing a huge amount of googling and online comic shop searching in an effort to find anywhere in the UK that sells them new and even called a few shops to inquire but it just isn't possible over here (apart from ebay-where I will likely be purchasing my own one soon! ). I did come across a few US sites selling them but as they are now a collectable item they retail around $100 as far as I can tell:

http://store.superherotoys.com/18spiderman.html

http://gofigureactionfigures.com/product2817.html

Oh hold on - here's a 2nd hand one at Amazon for $39.95 plus links to new/new condition ones at the usual $90+:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=collectible

ebay etc is your best bet for a more reasonable price I'm thinking

Hope that helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by The7Artist7 View Post
    He replied! - and also sounds interested if there's enough interest from artists for something like this.

Here's what he said about the idea of a super-articulated manikin:

So - lets spread the word about showing interest for a super-articulated artist's manikin! Also lets try and be helpful with realistic suggestions for improvements over the Spiderman figure, size, etc that would be particularly useful for us as artists.

Lets hope this works out
    Hey T7A7...

Wow, I really want one of these now, as I've been thinking of getting some kind of manikin for helping me with complex poses in perspective and things.

Since you have made contact with Dave Cortes, perhaps you could create either a thread on CA or one of those online petition dealies (I know, I know, but just bare with me here) and ask the CA community to 'sign' the petition if they would be willing to buy a super articulated artists' manikin (or more than one! I would!) if it was under $50 bucks for example. And then, when we have a few dozen signatures - which I'm sure you'd be able to get rather quickly - send it to Dave so he can see proof of demand for him to consider creating such a product for us artists?

What does everyone else think?

For now, I think I might run off to target and see if I luck out... lol

thedarkcloak website & gallery
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

My Conceptarts.org work thread - needs updating soon!

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thedarkcloak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad this thread was bumped... managed to find one on eBay UK for £25... too good a thing to pass up on I think. I'd still be very interested if they were to bring out a figure specifically designed for use my artists. There appears to be NOTHING on the market for artists as articulated as this toy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey DarkCloak - Exactly what I was thinking of doing as soon as I have the time to! I think setting up a thread and poll here on CA is the best way forward and encourage as many people to take part as possible Meanwhile I will keep in contact with Dave Cortes and see if we can work out more of the nitty-gritty stuff like what kind of price and availability (I'd like it to be available here in the UK too!) we would be looking at if it works out.

Please be patient if I take a while to get this sorted as I do have a lot on - I will get it done though!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey T7A7,

Good to hear. It sounds like the more people hear about this, the more demand is becoming more and more apparent!

Looking forward to where this goes, and spreading the word.

thedarkcloak website & gallery
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

My Conceptarts.org work thread - needs updating soon!

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thedarkcloak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is so awesome!
    I'm subscribing to this thread, I'd definitely buy one (or more) of such a manikin!

Love
    Marleen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NoŽ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn they are hard to get in UK - I would buy 2 or maybe 3 of them if they were reasonable price! Fingers crossed it can come true!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Marleen - I really do think this type of manikin is long overdue and a great opportunity this presents I think (sorry got all Yoda for a second there!)

cw - ebay.co.uk is pretty much you're only hope in the UK - I will be keeping an eye out ...

Here's item no. for one: 300308155245
    Possibly another (was sure someone already bought this one but seems still available) 220397833352

£25-£30 is a good price it seems but do check with buyers that they're in good condition with no loose joints etc.

otherwise lets hope I can work out this new manikin with Dave Cortes and make sure it's available in the UK too! I'm feeling really positive there's enough of a market for it as basically there's nothing at that level out there yet and it's what we are looking for

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never thought of using an action figure as a posing manikin. Interesting idea. I'll have to check this out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Possibly another (was sure someone already bought this one but seems still available) 220397833352
    I'd be very wary of bidding on this one, or using buy it now. I used buy it now on 220397190990 and paid instantly using PayPal. Seems like the exact same item from the exact same seller, listed the day AFTER I bought the item. The PayPal payment has cleared. Just emailed him for an explanation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mines in the post - hopefully :-o Not sure what kind of condition it'll be in tho as its not new, hoping I can fix it up somehow if the joints are loose - any tips as to the best fix for this problem?

~^-^~

get better or die trying....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMalcolm1970 View Post
    I'd be very wary of bidding on this one, or using buy it now. I used buy it now on 220397190990 and paid instantly using PayPal. Seems like the exact same item from the exact same seller, listed the day AFTER I bought the item. The PayPal payment has cleared. Just emailed him for an explanation.
    Ok things have been cleared up very quickly. My figure has been posted. The seller bought two figures, one for each of his children. He didn't want to list them at the same time.... so AFAIK item 220397833352 is still available for bids or as a buy it now item. The guy has a flawless eBay rating and was very quick to repond to my query... so it's an ideal buy for anyone in the UK that doesn't mind spending £25 + £5 postage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got mine this morning - wow this thing is awesome! even more articulation than I expected on the thumbs (will post some pics when I have a moment) I'm talking 4 different pivots! just on the thumb! This is firing me up even more to pursue an artist-specific manikin - man I wish I had the time to start up the threads right now - gotta concentrate on commission with deadline ending today 1st - then start thread and poll!

The only real problem with my figure was that the head is quite loose (seems to be a common issue with these) and doesn't hold some positions - will be looking into how best to fix this.

One other thing - when some people say 'the joints are stiff to move' they're not joking! The joints are also made using a notched method so it can take quite a bit of force to move and can do so with quite a loud click!

Edit: lol couldn't help myself - here's some pics of Spidey makin himself at home

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by The7Artist7; April 20th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice photos The7Artist7 the figure seems huge!

Been looking for a proper manikin for ages if they made one for artists I would get one for sure, hopefully one with less exaggerated anatomy. It's a given, they would sell for sure.

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They really should make one of these for artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha thanks Portus! Well it is 18" tall but it does strike you how big it is when you see it for real the first time - photos tend to make it look even bigger!

And yep I agree with you both - think about how many simple wooden manikins there are - I think it's fair to say almost every person who bought one of those, would have loved to have one that is articulated as this Spidey but more realistic anatomically.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey I thought this thing was meant to improve my art! it arrived today and no drawing has happened at all........stupid fun toys that steal precious timewhilst being put into all sorts of amazingly human poses *mutter mutter*

lol

Mines head is pretty loose, but for £15 inc P&P I guess thats no suprise :-p Will be trying to figure out the best fix for this - maybe dropping some blu-tack in there would work?!

It is really good for helping you think through a pose. thinking when you are twisting and clicking things into place how the pose would work if these limbs were really human with all the advantages/limitations of human anatomy.

Bring on the artists version!

get better or die trying....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Atastrophea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Atastrophea View Post
    hey I thought this thing was meant to improve my art! it arrived today and no drawing has happened at all........stupid fun toys that steal precious timewhilst being put into all sorts of amazingly human poses *mutter mutter*

lol

Mines head is pretty loose, but for £15 inc P&P I guess thats no suprise :-p Will be trying to figure out the best fix for this - maybe dropping some blu-tack in there would work?!

It is really good for helping you think through a pose. thinking when you are twisting and clicking things into place how the pose would work if these limbs were really human with all the advantages/limitations of human anatomy.

Bring on the artists version!

Hehe - I had exactly the same experience when mine arrived!

Sorry it's taking a while to get the proper thread and poll up for the proposed new super-articulated manikin but life has jumped on me in all it's busy-ness and is holding me in a throat-lock right now (rarrrg! struggle, struggle... I will win... doh - I lose again!)

lol - keep up the comments and feedback on your experiences with Spidey figure - I will also be checking how to stop the loose head as mine has that too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow the thing is huge!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok!! Thread and Poll up and running! - please show support by voting now and telling all your friends and anyone who you think may be interested

Also please post comments supporting and discussing this manikin - photos exampling how great the spidey figure is already would be very cool too.

Lets make this happen people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    please show support by voting now
    Love to - where is it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, not available anymore? Won't they bring out a new series, or is there another action figure as awesome as this?

Argh, missed the opportunity.

If anyone knows about something new coming out, or something similar, or where to get him, please pm me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doh! I'm so sorry - here is the link: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=156504

Annihilator - please see my previous posts for further info on where the Spidey figures are available (a google search or two could help you too but they are very hard to find new and at a good price as they are very collectable now)

Ebay is most likely your best bet but expect some form of light wear and possibly a loose joint or two - also I am working on encouraging the creator to make an awesome artist's specific version with the same or more articulation! - please show your support by voting at the link provided in this post.

We need as many votes as possible as Dave Cortes needs to see there is a market for a super-posable manikin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My spidey doll came in today, courtesy of eBay. His head's loose, but otherwise, he's a lot of fun.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe is that a bit of Spidey air-guitar I see there?

Hmm - I must remember to see if there's a good solution to the loose head thing.... if anyone finds a method that sounds a little less messy/short term than the blue-tack and rubber-band ideas let us know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh year air guitar!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    mad i have a smaller one i'll dig up, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys, I know this is an old topic, but I really really need help with this.
    This thing is nowhere to be found for normal prices, the cheapest on ebay is 50 dollar plus 50 dollar or more in shipping (internationally, since I'm in Europe).
    Some guy in this thread found it for 18 dollar back in 2009. I wish!
    I've struggled for years with normal art manikins, and now it's the point I don't want to put up with those pieces of junk anymore. Completely unuseable trash.

Is there anything that compares to this awesome figure? You can even move the fingers in this one, man!

I don't wanna use those wooden figures anymore, so fed up with them. So if somebody would know about an alternative to this awesome spiderman, that would be great.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10