Im not satisfied... any advice?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Im not satisfied... any advice?

Hi there, this is my first really finished piece with an intuos 3. It was quite a struggle as im still trying to understand how the different brushes work. I think theres some problem with the lightning but ive stared too long at the picture to pinpoint it. Also the texture of her skin didnt work out as i imagined - it looks "painted" and not like skin. And i think i wont try to draw naked breast with nipples again in the near future... i overpainted them a dozen times but they still dont look nice. Any advice for me?Name:  Meermaid-single.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  185.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Best advice I can offer is to put aside digital tools until you have a much better understanding of drawing fundamentals.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i apologise in advance
    i used to walk past a video store on the way home from school and fucking loved the posters for crappy horror movies like The Tommyknockers and Hard Ware that they had up on the window.Name:  mermaid1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  112.4 KB

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
    Hi there, this is my first really finished piece with an intuos 3. It was quite a struggle as im still trying to understand how the different brushes work. I think theres some problem with the lightning but ive stared too long at the picture to pinpoint it. Also the texture of her skin didnt work out as i imagined - it looks "painted" and not like skin. And i think i wont try to draw naked breast with nipples again in the near future... i overpainted them a dozen times but they still dont look nice. Any advice for me?
    The first part is confusing, because Intuos 3 is just a tablet model and tells nothing about what software you are using - no one would be able to help you about the brushes this way.

The problems with lighting and texture and whatnot are really due to one thing only: problems with structure. You are ad libbing everything, without having enough knowledge of your subject - and apparently without an organized working method.

What you need to do is work on the drawing fundamentals. Structure, perspective, anatomy, lighting. You can't have good lighting without knowing your anatomy, and you can't build a figure with good anatomy without a basis in structure. So get some paper, pencils, books by Loomis and start doing exercises in constructing the drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. That Poster Layout made me smile Kendall :-) I was using Photoshop CS6 for the coloring, but i fear youre right arenhaus, i was really just painting as it came along. I just had a look at the Loomis Books, they seem like a very good starting point for anatomy practice.
    After having a look at your sketchbook i realize i really need more drawing practice. And you are also right about doing the concept before the finishing. Ill be back when i have improved my skill.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. That Poster Layout made me smile Kendall :-) I was using Photoshop CS6 for the coloring, but i fear youre right arenhaus, i was really just painting as it came along. I just had a look at the Loomis Books, they seem like a very good starting point for anatomy practice.
    After having a look at your sketchbook i realize i really need more drawing practice. And you are also right about doing the concept before the finishing. Ill be back when i have improved my skill.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.