how do you mix maker colours or should I use another medium.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how do you mix maker colours or should I use another medium.

As i mentioned in my other thread i am a concierge and now my tablet is kapoot so I cant use it for days. I also want to learn traditional mediums and I do my practicing on the job. I cant use paint but I dont know what other mediums to use other than markers since pastels are too greasy and colours pencils....well its colour pencils and cant mix. so I wondering what mediums should I use or how do I mix marker colurs?

I am asking to learn about colour theory. and copics are expensive as hell but highly efficient.(i dont mind buying though but they are expensive and I cant do traditional mediums other than markers at work)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are mistaken about pastels, they are made of chalk (dry Pigment) with gum arabic for a binder. Oil pastels are greasy don't confuse those with real pastels. Dry pastels have been around for about 600 years, oil pastels were invented in the 1920's.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The bad news is you won't really find a traditional paiting medium that will work well for this situation (trying to practice while at work). Personally I think you should dedicate focused blocks of time on studying color and mixing it in an observational setting under natural light, in other words, away from work so you won't be distracted and you can really focus. While at your job just stick with drawing and reading good books on art and technique. Use your weekends and evenings for painting.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can mix colour pencils optically by overlaying soft strokes. Chalk pastels will be too messy as well as they will get over your hands and onto anything you touch - clients won't be please with it, even if it's relatively easy to wash/wipe off.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    time to buy a new bamboo tablet then. maybe buy some copics along the way

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoz View Post
    As i mentioned in my other thread i am a concierge and now my tablet is kapoot so I cant use it for days. I also want to learn traditional mediums and I do my practicing on the job. I cant use paint but I dont know what other mediums to use other than markers since pastels are too greasy and colours pencils....well its colour pencils and cant mix. so I wondering what mediums should I use or how do I mix marker colurs? I am asking to learn about colour theory. and copics are expensive as hell but highly efficient.(i dont mind buying though but they are expensive and I cant do traditional mediums other than markers at work)
    You cannot mix markers, they dry too fast. You can layer them somewhat, but usually more than two layers begin producing mud. So you have to plan your colors carefully.

You are mistaken about pastels being greasy, you must be thinking of crayons or oil pastels. Pastel is very mixable, due to being dry pigment, but it is quite messy due to all the dust.

You are also wrong about color pencils. You can mix them by layering, good pencils will add up to a dozen layers (even if you seldom need so many). In fact, the modern method for color pencil *relies* on mixing to get interesting and vivid color.

You can always use good old graphite pencil - color is very dependent on value, so you can focus on value studies while at work. Or use a black pencil for deeper color and less mess (but you won't be able to erase it). Ink also works, if you have a good brush pen or technical pens. Some people even use watercolor - you'll need to get some water-filled portable brushes and make an Altoid tin watercolor set.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually you can mix markers if you use them on tracing paper or marker paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeymao View Post
    Actually you can mix markers if you use them on tracing paper or marker paper.
    Even then it's so limited you are better off layering sparingly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watercolor pencils and a water-brush. You have to be sparse with the water brush but it's very possible to do it discreetly and not make a mess. You should look at James Gurney's stuff he often uses that in concert venues, so it has to be clean.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can blend coloured pencil by washing over it with a solvent. Then it acts like watercolours.

But if I were you I'd get a small watercolour paint kit. You'll get the most mixability in the smallest package and if you know what you're doing they're not very messy. Don't bother with markers unless you have several hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket and you want to carry a giant bag of markers wherever you go.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.